Join Strat-Talk Today

Finally Moved That Volume Knob Down A Step

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by voskarp, Jun 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voskarp

voskarp Strat-Talk Member

But most lefty players have a terrible technique playing righty guitars, and a lefty guitar is an originally righty guitar where nearly everything is modded to fit their playing technique!

More fun please!

:)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah I've never understood when people try and play different types of guitars the same way or complain they can't play their Strat the same way they do their Les Paul. I to have a different approach with my 335 than with my Tele and different with my OM sized acoustics than with my dreads. And obviously you know I agree with you 100% about modding a 5e3.

fezz parka likes this.
  3. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Well...no.

Albert-King.jpg

Not a mod in sight. Not even re-strung. ;)

I'm all for making mods after spending time with an instrument to make it fit what you do. But since you say you came from an acoustic background (and are relatively new to Fenders), what you do (the technique related things in your muscle memory) is very different from someone who started with Fender type electrics. Fenders for the most part were born out of the lap steels that Leo made with Doc Kaufman. That's why the volume and tone controls are close to where the player picks. Lap Steelers use them all the time.

And yes, this thread title and your 5e3 comments are pure troll click bait...designed to create controversy.

Why not say "I moved the knob and now I'm happy?" I can get behind that. But instead you put forth a topic title that is provocative. And you're surprised someone called you on it? ;)

Stratoskater and voskarp like this.
  4. fezz parka

Watch this. Watch his right hand. It's gonzo...and it's precise. Technique. Knowing your instrument and what you can make it do. :)

Stratoskater and Andrew Wasson like this.
  5. voskarp

voskarp Strat-Talk Member

No, I'm not surprised, even though it wasn't quite designed, more like it just happened because I'm in my bubble and suddenly decide to communicate what's in my head. So sometimes you're just writing faster than you should. And you can't edit the title. As far as the Deluxe goes, I didn't even know it was that flammable here (I'm not reading this forum very much). Haven't had that at TDPRI.

Well, Albert King is a really cool guitar player indeed. But he did flip it to make it fit him better, nevertheless.

Jeff Beck is a really great guitar player too, and I can see why others love the placement of that volume knob.

Now I'm gonna go solder some things together.

Peace!:)

6. fezz parka

Just like you can play a Strat just fine where the volume knob is placed...the thread starter/author can edit the title during the usual edit post window.

Thread tools button above the first post. Choose edit title. But this does have a time limit, just like regular posts.

Anytime you say you can't do something...you increase the odds that you never will.

Also...the circuit mods you want to make to the 5e3 were in the 6g3 Deluxe. Build that instead.

7. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

That was insanely awesome! JB kills it for sure.

8. fezz parka

Well...playing wise he's always been awesome. But I wanted to show the picking hand. The economy of movement mixed with the freedom of movement.

You can palm mute on a standard Strat.
    You can avoid hitting the knobs and switch on a standard Strat.
    You just have to get familiar with the lay of the land.

But...we live in a world where people for the most part not do the work. They want instant gratification. That's unrealistic and lazy. Do the work. Reap the reward from doing that work. Look at Beck. If you do the work...you too can have the knowledge to truly be free on the instrument.

Do...the...work. :)

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  9. johntrem

johntrem Strat-Talker

No offense, but I wouldn't call that a strat. To me it's a strat shaped electric guitar.

10. mapleglo

mapleglo Strat-O-Master

No offense taken. I call it a Strat of Theseus.

11. johntrem

johntrem Strat-Talker

Had to google Theseus. So was he in that "Troy" movie with Brad Pitt?

mapleglo likes this.
  12. fezz parka

Better than the Strat of Sisyphus. ;)

13. mapleglo

mapleglo Strat-O-Master

14. gitapik

gitapik Strat-Talk Member

All what ya get used to.

I couldn’t get used to the Strat volume knob compared to my 10 year goto LP. Talk about a stretch!?

15. vspa

vspa Strat-Talk Member

im using a master tone control but left everything else in place, i simply disabled the bottom knob but didn't remove it,
    scott henderson has an interesting setup in his suhr strat; tone control for positions 1-3-5, full tone fixed in positions 2-4,

16. fezz parka

I use a three way switch wired like a post 67 Tele. B/BN/N. master tone and the bottom knob is a blender for the middle. I started on Telecasters in '71. I like the BN. The blend for the middle is just in case I need quack. But I usually don't. Quack is the great equalizer. Makes everything sound the same with that comb filtered drek. Yeech. Sound great on Nowhere Man. Everywhere else it sounds like a gimmick. :D

17. 80sGuy

80sGuy Strat-Talker

I tend to do a lot of volume-swells so that volume knob is perfect in its original position. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

18. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

:D I LOL at people who feel they have to "inform" others that if they want to move their volume pot, that their technique is wrong. WOO-HOO!!! :D

If someone enjoys playing their Strat more with the volume pot moved, and that BOTHERS you somehow... you're just a plain fool sitting in your own excrement!

Move on! Get over it! There's MUCH more to life than acting like a stuck up snob who feels compelled to blanket others with their "prescription" for what is "right".

As Alan Watts once said: "It's a wiggly world" and trying to make it "straight" in your own eyes is a fool's errand.

Set your guitars up as you wish to set them up, and play them as you wish to play them. And, if you're BIG enough, have the grace to respect that others are not like YOU.

jaycoyoyo likes this.
  19. fezz parka

You're the guy who can't palm mute...right? You hit the knob? I laugh heartily at that. If you hit the knob, its the guitars fault? No...it's yours. I'll be happy to come by and teach you how to avoid hitting it.;)

Or maybe just use some of this:
    images.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Bodean likes this.
  20. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

I can palm mute on any guitar, and sure don't need your stuck-up advice.

It so happens that I enjoy a master vol/master tone on a Strat, palm muting or NOT. And there ain't a thing wrong with that. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.