Join Strat-Talk Today

Finally Moved That Volume Knob Down A Step

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by voskarp, Jun 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

You're a mighty angry little fellow.

Bodean likes this.
  2. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Not angry at all... I just don't tolerate stuck-up fools who act like they "know better".

I couldn't be happier with my life and what I do, and I sure don't need any advice from you.

Have a good look, does this bother you? Get over it! I LOVE it! :D

[​IMG]

3. fezz parka

You know name calling is against the rules. And trolling for a fight is too. So...you've been reported. Lets see how that goes. :)

Thrup'ny Bit and Zeekrider like this.
  4. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

I didn't call YOU personally any names that you didn't adopt on your own. You directly called ME an "angry little fellow"! That is personal name-calling.

And now, you're trying to get the forum to send me packing because I don't agree with your insistent opinion that my "technique" is wrong? That's offensive. Should I ask the forum to correct you on that? No. Because you and I can handle this on our own.

I say, someone here can't stand the heat, and wants to call Mommy to help out.

And, there's no trolling going on here at all.

Read the posts... they are constructive opinions... no less valued than your own.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  5. fezz parka

No I said you were an angry little fellow. Kinda thin-skinned too.

Keep digging. ;)

¡Adios!

6. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

WHO is doing the name calling?

Adios to you! Have an enjoyable evening.

7. fezz parka

You know...we live in the same town. And you started with the stuck-up stuff. You could have let it go...but no. So... based on your responses, you seem...angry to me. And it's kinda sad and desperate.

I actually feel kinda bad for you.

8. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Time to be bigger than this silliness and let it go! Thank you.

9. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

So... I’m kinda thinking the perfect setup for me might be a 3 way switch, volume, tone one on neck, tone two on bridge and no tone in the middle.

I wired up my black Strat like that a couple of years ago because I only had a 3 way Tele switch and a 5 way on order. I just couldn’t wait to plug it in so in went the 3 way. I never seem use the in between settings so I’m thinking a 3 way might be the way to go.

The volume control on a Strat never gets in my way if I’m sitting but I could see how it might be close when standing. A lot of time, if I’m playing a rhythm part, I’ll be strumming up near the neck pickup and I tend to be pretty tight with my lead playing so it’s never annoyed me at all. My favourite layout for controls is an ES335. I played Ibanez’s copy of a 335 for 30+ years and it’s burned into my memory. The pickup selector location on a Les Paul annoys me. I’ll never hit it with my picking hand but the placement of it in a 335 is much better for quick changes. Next to the 335, the Strat is the next favourite for layout of controls.

Stratoskater and fezz parka like this.
  10. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Andrew - I agree, I never use tone pots on neck or middle pickups, even if they are there. Even with the bridge pickup, only "maybe" once in a while might I touch the tone pot.

So for me, the Tele set-up with a master volume and a master tone (perhaps wired only to the bridge pickup) is great. I just have no use for THREE pots. :D

I hear you on the 3-way switch, BUT, but, but... have you heard a Strat with the neck & bridge pickups together? Pretty SWEET!

My favorite wiring on Strats now is one I also employ on my Triple Tele and my Nashville Tele:

5: neck pickup
    4: neck & bridge (what a sound!)
    3: bridge
    2: middle and bridge
    1: middle

Position 4, for neck & bridge is especially SWEET! Similar to a 2-pickup Tele, in the "middle" switch position.

You just swap two leads on the selector switch to get this, and it's SWEET!

Strat purists may turn their noses and go into conniption fits at such a suggestion, but I'm not so much of a traditionalist that I can't totally tweak a great guitar exactly to my personal taste! The tones are fantastic in new position 4.

As for the Triple Tele - it employs THREE bridge pickups and a Strat-5 way switch! What amazing tones! Imagine... three Tele bridge pickups, one in the neck, one in the middle, and the usual one at the bridge. It's big, bold, rich, and quite COOL! I run the three Nocaster bridge pickups with a 500k volume pot, a No-Load tone pot, and a .015uF cap. I enjoy a clean, clear, crisp, bright, sparkly Fender guitar.

Hanging in the "back yard"
    [​IMG]

5-position "Strat" switch
    [​IMG]

Dog approved!
    [​IMG]

No complaints here. Life is good! :)

mapleglo likes this.
  11. fezz parka

On guitars with independent vol and tone for each pickup, I leave the switch in the middle position and use the volumes. More bridge? Roll it up. More neck? Roll it up. More of both...roll them both up. :)

There are so many cool tones to be dialed in by riding the volume knobs.

Andrew Wasson and maqcatt like this.
  12. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Strat-Talker

Have I accidentally clicked on The Gear Page by accident??? Seems like the sort of thread you get on there.

There is nothing special about where strat knobs are. That's just where someone in the 1950s decided to put them. If you want to move them, by all means do so. You can put a Floyd on too. And put humbuckers in. And change the fret wire. And change the nut. And replace the tuners. You can do anything you want that makes it feel better to you.

The only thing you absolutely cannot do is add an extra knob like Pete Townshend. That really does look stupid! :whistling:

voskarp and Zeekrider like this.
  13. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Hahahaha! :thumb: Right on, Jack Frost!

None of these guitars were immaculately designed "in Heaven".

Tweak however you wish to, to suit your personal needs/desires.

It was ok for the "guitar Gods" of the sixties and seventies to mod like crazy to suit their interests, and still, today, it's perfectly fine for ANY of us to do so - without being told that our "technique" is flawed. LOL

I say mod and tweak a Fender until you're absolutely CRAZY about it! :D Then just play the s#!t out of it. And, be gracious enough to realize that others aren't like YOU... and don't spend your precious time on earth telling other people what you think they should be doing! :whistling:

14. wickdawg

wickdawg Strat-Talk Member

I did a custom job for someone. I got a pickguard with no knob holes and drilled my own. They are the same distance away as they normally are just in between where the first and second knobs and second and third knobs would be.

If you can wire your guitar to have a master tone, this should be a piece of cake.

3D2ECADA-2A24-4D90-B878-FDF9BA2034B4.jpeg

The customer wanted a Prince style Strat with EMG H/S pickups. He didn’t want the double locking Floyd, so we got the Floyd Rose Rail Tail and licking tuners and it worked and sounded and looked amazing.

By the way, the crap on the pickguard is from removing the sticker from the plastic film which is still on the pickguard.

I ordered this from Warmoth because you can configure it almost any way you want. Good H/S pickguards are hard to find. They allowed my to have no middle pickup hole and no knob holes, although you can order one with holes in the tone 1 and tone 2 positions. But I just wanted to drill the holes myself.

Zeekrider likes this.
  15. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Nice! No reason not to place those pots/knobs right where you want them to be! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.