Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

finally understand p90s

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by bigc, Jul 15, 2017.

1. bigc

bigc Strat-Talker

Oct 14, 2015
    nc
    I always seen the appeal in them, I've played a few guitars with them, but I've never owned one. Today I put one in my flying v project and I was blown away. It's an old one I got from a friend, so no backround on it, but even though it sits about a 1/16 of an inch lower than I had my humbucker set, it's has much more output.

The main thing was the sound... It is raw, almost like hearing an old tune on a small tube radio. Even on a clean setting it has an edge, I can go from my neck pickup (paf style) jazzy almost BB King (or Albert King sound if you set the tone just right), to a T-Bone walker/Elmore James sound at the flick of a switch! Here is a pic...

Attached Files:

flamedmaple69, Tuica, Robins and 8 others like this.

2. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2012
    Southern California
    And so your new addiction begins. P90s are the best.

Robins, Textele and gwjensen like this.

3. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

Yes P 90s single coil niceness...

Robins likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

Aug 13, 2014
    Oregon
    Try a set of Rose Pickups Morticia's in your strat. Mind blown.

nuculer terrist likes this.

6. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Yes, I must admit the P90 is my favourite pickup. I love my Strats, and am a Strat player through and through, but every time I pick up my LP with P90's I think 'Holy Smoke'.. Blows me away..

I prefer the P90 to a bucker any day of the week in the LP. It can growl, but it can weep too.. wonderful pickups.. :thumb:

Robins likes this.

7. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    My experience with P90s are a soapbar 'Black Beauty' LP and my 'Townshend' SG.
    I love the woody tone on the neck.
    On both guitars it's better than the bridge.

8. kchurch

kchurch Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2011
    Ontario, CANADA
    I agree. P90s are the best, I'm blown away by their responsiveness in my Godin. But now I'm dying to try gold Foils! Will the GAS never stop!!! The madness ....

Robins likes this.

9. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    you just inspired me to go play one of my Gibsons with P90s in it

thanks

Robins, 8T_BoCO and Tone Guru like this.

10. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Gibson nailed pickup perfection with the p90 Back in 1946 or thereabouts, IMO.

Robins likes this.

11. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    Love P90's

They are the "Bad Guys" of the pickup world...

In a good way! ;)

Robins likes this.

12. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    An interesting think about P-90's is that by Strat, Tele or PAF standards, they've very "hot" pickups. They have an inductance around 7 henries, which is comparable to a JB or a Super Distortion, and while those hotter pickups are sometimes derided for use as a clean pickup, a lot of people love the clean sound of a P-90.

I bought a P-90 bedecked Les Paul, and I like getting that tone heard in lots of old recordings, but it's a little dark for "modern" cleans. If the amp I'm using has a presence knob or bright switch, that makes all the difference.

Robins likes this.

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Man, that looks weird in there, but if it sounds good, that's the most important thing.

Robins, bigc and Rastus like this.

14. bigc

bigc Strat-Talker

Oct 14, 2015
    nc
    Ha, yeah she looks a little goofy. I've just been using this guitar to try out some mods and to mess around with.

Textele likes this.

15. bugo

bugo Strat-O-Master

Aug 15, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    I want to try P90s but I don't have a guitar right now to put them in. I have an Epiphone 335 but the Seymour Duncan '59 humbuckers that are in it sound too good and I don't want to touch them. I was thinking about trying out one of those new $99 Epi Les Pauls and putting P90s in it. I especially want one for the neck position.

How close does a P90 sound to a Jazzmaster pickup? I have a stock Fender Marauder with a "Modern Player Jazzmaster" pickup in the neck position. It sounds superb, especially with the tone rolled off. It has a fat, rich, warm smooth tone. If the P90 sounds anything like it then I will definitely like it.

16. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster Vendor Member

A P90 sounds nothing like a Jazzmaster pickup to me. You can, however, get any humbucker guitar and get a Phat Cat or 2 to throw in there- P90 sound in a humbucker size.

17. StratSounds

StratSounds Strat-O-Master

Sep 10, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    I've only owned a P90 guitar since January, but I "get it" now too. I've recently been playing some prog-rock type leads on the bridge pickup and am quickly becoming addicted. It is biting, it is nuanced, it howls and sustains, yet can be subtle and articulate, all of that. Love it.

kchurch likes this.

18. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2012
    England
    Awesome pickups - brutal but totally musical.

Here's my faves from 59 55 and 60. The 59 has been on slide duty since I got it in 89. P90s are the ultimate slide pups imho:cool::D. 20170701_123058.jpg

19. jvin248

jvin248 Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

I consider P90s the bar-room-brawl of the pickup world; a brawl you want to get in again the next night! Once you have one to play on a regular basis you understand how much tone was lost in fixing that humming problem with humbuckers.

The Tele bridge pickup is a lot like a P90. Leo released the Broadcaster in 1950 having seen/heard the Gibson P90s that were on the market since 1946, and would have had to benchmark and match it for players.

I play one of these and also have a Strat with them fitted and they work the same there.

[​IMG]

20. Antigua

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    I just want to say, it's not the humbucking itself that modifies the tone, it's just the fact that, whatever humbucking configuration is used, you inevitably have two coils attempting to sound like one coil, instead of one coil sounding like one coil. An example of this is a non-RWRP Strat. The notch positions sound exactly the same whether you have it RWRP or not.

21. Antigua

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    It's interesting that the neck pickup is in a different location on red and yellow Specials. I wonder what the story is there. It probably makes for fairly different sounding neck pickups.