Join Strat-Talk Today

Finding your niche as a musician?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, May 23, 2020 at 8:01 PM.

1. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

I'm sort of a jack of all trades musician; I can sing lead, play bass, keyboards and guitar. I like to be sort of a "mad scientist" ala John Paul Jones or Geddy Lee. But as much as I love to experiment it really hit me; why bother, I can sing and play 3-chords!? I was experimenting with my 2 keyboards and trying to find the right effects; how much level on the synth bass flanger, how much level on the Wurlizter chrous, and realized why do I give a flying F about this? I can sing 3 chord country songs and make people happy?!

It's fun to experiment but ultimately my niche is playing 3 chord country songs on acoustic and singer, not worring about the effects on my synthesizers lol...

2. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

Find what you really like to do and focus on that.

3. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Milk those 3 chord tunes. Play to your strengths. Or, learn new stuff on the other instruments if that keeps you up at night.

JamesE, DeMelo, mikej89 and 1 other person like this.
  4. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

I am not a musician, plain and simple. I play at home for myself. Nothing particularly original or creative. I might noodle about but it's no better than throwing darts in the dark.

But, while I'm playing Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile it is the only thing I'm doing and it makes me feel good.

That's why my wife has a band and I'm not in it.

Do what makes you feel good - AKA Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff. ;)

JamesE, Bob the builder and Boognish like this.
  5. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

Do whatever makes you happy. There are no rules.

JamesE likes this.
  6. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

That's good. We should make it a rule. :rolleyes:

7. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Gold Member

As my tag line states... 'Find what's in you and let it out.'

JamesE likes this.
  8. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Out of high school I was getting a lot of praise for my songwriting. Got a band together and tried to get noticed. Trouble was I was writing in all sorts of genres, because I could. The band didn't have "a sound" it had a bunch of sounds. We didn't have a look, or a group of society we embodied. Majorly flopped. I ended up fronting covers bands and doing one-man restaurant type gigs, which was fine. Got to play all sorts of genres, entertained a lot of people.

In my mid 20s I put a bluegrass band together - which 3 friends who had played in various bands with me. We learnt bluegrass instruments I (guitarist) took up banjo, another guitarist friend took up mandolin, a drummer friend learnt acoustic guitar, and a friend who was just a singer learnt double bass. Within 6 months we could all do an okay job with the instruments. Three of us were good singers, so the harmonies were already there. We bought the right instruments, wore the bluegrass outfits, travelled in an old Ford truck, rehearsed in a barn. And we got super successful in our home town. Ended up in newspapers, on national TV a few times. After five years we gave it up a reverted back to our old instruments and went our separate ways.

Moral of the story....in retrospect, what made the bluegrass thing work (for 4 VERY average bluegrass players) was that we got the branding right. We were consistent in our look, our style of of playing, our humour, the venues and audiences we played to. It just worked. We found a niche, as the OP suggests. If I had my time back, I'd do the whole "just out of high school trying to impress everyone with what a eclectic writer performer I am" thing way differently. I'd focus way more on brand, definitely.

wrvond and Bowmap like this.
  9. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Don't try and 'niche' yourself. Someone already has a niche with a matching cliché to label you with regardless of what you think anyway.

Music Life made easy:
    Do whatever the f you like and screw what everyone else thinks. If you bow to everyone elses ideology you're stifling your own creativity.

Forget about political correctness, forget about non-genderfication, veganism, cannibalism, feminism, chauvanism, masochism, ism ism ism....

Just go with your own flow. Music is like the tide. It ebbs and flows in all of us, we all feel differently about it - and everywhere around the world, the tide is different.

Don't try and fit yourself into a box, let the marketing department ego's take care of that when you're famous.

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Most Honored Senior Member

That's it for me... I play what I like to hear and nothing else. If I'm lucky, I like what someone else is playing and I play along. If I'm extra lucky, someone else likes what I'm playing and plays along.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 10:50 PM
    Bladesg, wrvond and Stratoman10 like this.
  11. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

I do that, especially after a big meal!

Bowmap likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.