Fingering Fingers

What fingers do YOU use to finger notes on the guitar?

• Thumb and 4 fingers

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Thumb and 3 fingers

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Only 4 Fingers ( no thumb )

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Only 3 Fingers ( no thumb )

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Only 2 Fingers ( as above )

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Only 1 Finger

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other ( slide, tool, misc )

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mikhailwatt

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 6, 2020
Austin, Tejas
Thumb + 4 fingers for chording.
Rarely use the pinky for single-note/solo stuff due to being "double-jointed" but I have XL hands and the ring finger can reach nearly as far.

toxster

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 30, 2020
USA
I have never understood why some players only use the first 3 fingers on their fretting hand. That’s like boxing with one hand. I am not saying that you can’t play well using only three fingers but you will not truly reach your full potential.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Fret behind and in front of the slide.

I have been known to use a ring slide on my picking hand too. :)
I do that too, but I really don't play slide often, so I'm not great at it. But I usually wear it on my pinky, so I can still fret with my other fingers.

nosmo

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 13, 2020
Amber
It's not how many fingers I use.......it's that I generally use the wrong ones.🤡

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
I do that too, but I really don't play slide often, so I'm not great at it. But I usually wear it on my pinky, so I can still fret with my other fingers.
I wear the bottle on my ring finger. Fret in back of the slide to make 7ths and minor chords. Play in standard tuning though...so most of the time it's making 7ths/partial diminished. All the major and minor triads are there...

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Warren Haynes got me into finger picking. Hardest part was how to hold my pick while using fingers.
My fretting hand? All of em although only the low E gets fretted with my thumb.

RL21980

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 10, 2014
Somewhere in the Ford Galaxy...
4 fingers. Learning Hendrix and SRV stuff as I've gotten older I've begun to use my thumb over the top of the neck. It's taken A LOT of getting used to. I still hear my guitar teacher telling me not to choke the neck! I got taught in the strict school of "thumb is your anchor on the middle/back of the neck" when I was a kid. Still play that way mostly. It allows for a great range of motion.

Handsome McClane

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 6, 2020
Sacramento
How do you guys use your thumb to fret notes? Mine is behind the neck. You flop it over the top to hold the low E or are you playing your guitar like a piano, ala Jeff Healy?

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
There are a few songs I play that are easier using a thumb-over technique. Usually something with a lot of movement on the bass strings at the same time as I'm holding a chord. So I use 4 fingers + thumb on my fretting hand.

I use thumb + 3 on my picking hand. IDK why I don't really use the pinky finger on my right hand when I'm playing, but I don't.