Join Strat-Talk Today

First coat of black goes on......

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by fastbob72, Mar 30, 2020.

1. fastbob72

fastbob72 Strat-Talker Silver Member

...... but really it is hard to imagine that this body will ever finish up like my black Squier beside it.

That's the first two layer coat of good ol' Halfords Gloss Black spray paint on and a well built up layering too.

Inevitably this caused several minor runs when a slight change in pressure on the nozzle caused a thicker spray of paint to collect in one place.

Overall, it is an ok start all be it one requiring much more flatting back to take out the runs.

Even though I've sprayed all kinds of cars and car parts with this paint so know how it doesn't look anything like you would expect until all the clearsvbeen added, cured and ploished back, it's still hard to imagine it looking as good as the Squier still does after 26 years.

We can but persevere lol
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

rockon1, Robins and Andrew Wasson like this.
  2. Ted J

Ted J Strat-Talker

When respraying my headstock, I used what I call "ghost coats" (ie barely there )
    The neck was off the body and taped off in a plastic bag lined cardboard box in my garage
    I went out every 20 minutes or so and sprayed a really fast light coat then left it
    I wanted to build up a nice thick layer so the headstock decal didn't stand proud
    After every 4 coats , I'd wait half a day then wet sand with 1200 grit and soapy water, dry then another set of light coats
    Gradually the orange peel effect lessened and the surface looked like a fine mist had been applied , so I gave it one last wet sand with the 1200 and a sanding block till it was completeley flat and dull
    The guy at the paint shop who made up the nitrocellulose for me asked me why nitro and when I told him what it was for , he told me to get metallic T-Cut, which he said would buff better,and to use cotton wool , frequently tearing off and using a fresh wad
    When it was as i wanted, i took off the masking tape which was a hair's width below the front of the headstock level and polished the top into the sides of the headstock for a seamless joint (you can't see it even under a magnifying glass)
    I let it dry for 2 weeks then put the hardware on ....This is it

[​IMG]

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Be prepared for a hell of a long wait for that Halfords paint to harden, even then don't put is anywhere near anything else, it reacts to everything.

4. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

I have repainted a motorcycle gas tank and a couple of guitar bodies.... it takes a long time, lots of waiting, lots of sanding, lots of polishing.

fastbob72 and Robins like this.
  5. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

Those runs don't look too bad, I've had worse. Maybe use the single edge razor with cellophane tape method to scrape them close to flush. It's always a trade off, you want to lay down a coat heavy enough that it will flow out, but without runs. I've found the safest route is to shoot with the body laying level, but I'm using a gun which makes it more controllable. Lot's of clear on that baby should make her beautiful! Let's see her when you're done.

6. fastbob72

Yeah they're pretty easy to deal with and you need to lightly sand between coats anyway so it isn't so disastrous lol

7. fastbob72

You are absolutely right I've done plenty of automotive painting with rattle cans, body parts, body kits, spoilers and panels etc and what I have learnt is they are far simpler than guitar bodies lol

Sarnodude and Bob the builder like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.