First Frankenstrat Neck pocket is 1/16 too shallow

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Mjolniir, Nov 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Mjolniir

Mjolniir New Member!

So I bought my body from GFS and it is 1/16” too shallow. Is this good enough or do I need to get a router?

This is the first one I’ve put together so I plan to get a router anyway since I want to eventually build my own body but I’m disabled and have little extra money so if I can wait on the router I won’t have to wait another month to get the hardware and put it all together.

I was also wondering if I could make a sanding block the shape of the pocket and bring it down that way off necessary.

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

What are the symptoms of it being too shallow? I'd think all it would do is require the saddles be 1/16" higher than the usual height. If that was really bad for some reason a little neck shim would bring them back to normal.

How is the string height vs. saddle height now?

Edit: I realized that you said you don't have the hardware yet. Without a bridge, neck, nut, and tuners, it's definitely not time to modify anything on the body. Take it one step at a time.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Andrew Wasson, soulman969 and Groovey like this.
  3. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Amen.:thumb:

4. TXspecial86

TXspecial86 New Member!

I just recently put an old Kramer Strat style neck on an oooooold Fender Alder body i had, both from the 80s. The neck pocket was at least 1/16th to 1/8 inch bigger than the neck itself. What i did was....

I measured the scale length as close as i could to spec.

I put 2 strings on, both Es, but i used an old low E for both strings. Its just more sturdy imo for the next step. I installed my own micro tilt screw so i could set the action right. To get deeper into that, you want your saddles to be flush. I mean the adjustment screws in the saddle should be lower than the top for comfort. So the way to do that is set the screws at the height you want, and then tilt the neck down at the headstock untill your string action is about where you like it. (but that is not a necessary step )

This is the bread and butter. You dont need shims. or cardboard, or a card. thats no good for sustain and resonance. I go and buy some kwik wood [​IMG]
    This stuff is magical.

I scuff up the neck picket to make it rough to grip the putty. And then i wrap the neck in Ceram wrap or cellophane so it doesn't accident bond the neck to the body. Since my Neck has already been set once and i saw where It needed to be, i don't have to do it at this point. Then i just mix up the putty and press it into the neck pocket, you dont want tooo much, but extra wont hurt, just make sure the bottom of the neck pocket has a good layer of putty. at least 1/8 inch thick. I make little toothpick like rolls of the putty and lay them about 1/2 inch apart.

Then press the neck into the neck pocket, The 2 strings should still be attached. Get all your screws started in the neck and put a little tension on the strings so it pulls the neck into the pocket. And then i actually use a small c clamp and i clamp the neck down witth considerable force to hydraulically press the putty into all the voids, and then i trim off the extra and smooth it out before it gets hard.

After it sets, You can remove the neck, the cellophane can be removed from the neck and you can set it back into the perfectly shaped, Perfectly snug, nice and tight neck pocket like it was built for that body. You can even sand it and stain it or paint it. And if you screw it up, it is not difficult to remove. I now do every guitar i build, and every one i own this way. Stays nice and firm.

You can also use this stuff for form a perfect Trem block if you like to lock your tremolo. I cut a piece of wood just a little smaller than it should be to block the Trem. And then i put the putty around the block, and set the tremolo bridge level like i want it. after the putty gets hard, Is full contact between the back of the bridge block and the back of the cutout for the Trem cavity.

Doing these 2 things will give your guitar soo much resonance and sustain it will actually feel weird at first, because you can feel every little vibration from the strings through the entire body. Give it a try

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 4:00 PM
  5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Several very poor ideas here. Frankly, when dealing with something like a neck pocket, it's more likely a problem measuring than it is the neck pocket.

Why is it a big deal?

6. TXspecial86

TXspecial86 New Member!

In my experience, You would have better luck, and probably a better result, IF were to take the wood off of of the bottom of the neck istelf versus trying to sand the neck pocket. MAinly because you can run a flat block across the neck closer to being level than the pocket. And if the pocket on the body gets out of wack, Its hard to get it back. ALthough, i do have another solution. ill make a new post

7. TXspecial86

TXspecial86 New Member!

If you have a neck, and you have a body, and your trying to put it together. It doesnt matter what the measurements are. If he were going to purchase a new one, you might be right. Some great ideas here actually, for someone doing their first "build"

Im sure you didnt know everything about guitars when you made your first one, eh?

8. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

No idea what you are trying to express here.