First Partscaster-First Hurdle

ThreeChordWonder

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 2, 2020
Cypress TX
Get the width right then check the depth against the scale length. For a Strat it should be 25-1/2 inches, 648 mm, from the body side of the nut to the saddle bearing points with the saddles set halfway along their adjustment range. If it's off by more than a mm or two you'll have intonation problems later on. Go by that rather than pocket shape.

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
Get the width right then check the depth against the scale length. For a Strat it should be 25-1/2 inches, 648 mm, from the body side of the nut to the saddle bearing points with the saddles set halfway along their adjustment range. If it's off by more than a mm or two you'll have intonation problems later on. Go by that rather than pocket shape.
Just an FYI, the neck is already drilled, for what you suggest wouldn’t he need a blank (not drilled) neck ?

unless he dowels the neck and re-drill it. Not impossible but shouldn’t be required for parts that were supposed to fit.

Caythorpe

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 8, 2022
Lincolnshire, England
It’s the wrong sized neck…

Never adjust the socket, or use lube to force the neck in, because the tiniest misalignment will make setting the guitar up properly totally impossible, and mean that a correctly sized neck won’t fit properly either.

Unless you have the necessary tooling and skill to shave the heel to fit the socket perfectly, it’s far better to find another neck…

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
i got my MJT body in the mail today and.....well a picture speaks a thousand words.

Warmoth neck (56 mm), MJT Body (Which measures 55.4 mm). Before purchase it was confirmed that the two are compatible. (This is not a rant but more of an educational based inquiry 😊🎶

It was suggested by the seller that I take a razor blade and scrape off any residual paint inside the neck pocket, then use a little lube.... and it should fit right in. (For some reason they are not getting the pictures via Ebay message portal. I'm waiting for them to send me a direct email - or come here to view pics

Based on the attached pictures.. - .4 mm, Do i take it slow and sand it or get a router bit? How do i not mess up the paint and how do i keep it straight? Do i send it back? How commen is it to have to do minor surgery like this with reputable partscaster parts? Love to get your opinions on this
Use a small sanding block that is square and carefully sand the side of the neck pocket. This is one reason I prefer Allparts necks to Warmouth.

mapleglo

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Oct 25, 2015
phoenix
I've built a bunch of partscasters and the neck/neck-pocket fitment has never been as far off as the pencil line in that photo suggests. In fact, every neck has just slid into the neck pocket with no sanding or excessive pressure needed. I'd take some accurate measurements of both the neck and neck pocket, see which one is that far out of spec, and send it back to the manufacturer for an in-spec replacement.

FuncleManson

Strat-O-Master
May 23, 2021
Moline, IL
^This. Sand the sides of the pocket. Go slow and use a block, not your finger. You're talking about roughly .3mm on each side--a very small amount--maybe just the thickness of the finish. Make sure you get all of the sawdust out of the pocket (that sounds obvious, but I thought I better mention it).

Don't mess with the back of the pocket until you can fit the neck in. Then you can move on to the scale length. I'm guessing it'll be fine.

None of this is unusual. I've never had to do more than the slightest bit of sanding on a high-end (MJT/BloomDoom/Warmoth/
Musikraft) project. My more affordable ones often require more work.

FuncleManson

Strat-O-Master
May 23, 2021
Moline, IL
Added another pic. I put some reference screws in and lowed the neck to the pocket and just traced the pencil around the neck. I am new to the partscaster builds but if you folks are telling me this is an acceptable tolerance, then I guess I'll just have to accept it. But this seems .......lame to have to do this kind of sanding on a supposedly compatible.... sorry with a bit of a rant came out there
If you believe this, then you should probably just return the body (or the neck?). I don't mean this to sound harsh, but if you find this daunting, maybe assembling partscasters just isn't for you. And that's OK.

Also, I'm not comfortable the diagnostic method you used resulting the pencil line around the pocket. If I'm understanding what you did, there's no real way of knowing that the screws remained plumb (meaning they could pivot out of perpendicular) when you drew your outline. Plus, remember your pencil outline will be slightly outside the actual edge of the neck and when dealing with such small distances it could appear worse than it is.

Like I said, I hope this didn't some off as harsh. We're all just trying to help. But honestly, I don't see anything here that's egregious. Good luck!

StratAlchemist

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 28, 2010
Traveler
Never had a problem with Warmoth. Here is a 2012 59 American Vintage body with Warmoth vintage neck. Also a Warmoth vintage Tele body with the 59 AV neck, just for reference. Perfectly cut. 21245462-195F-4402-84E0-F4837ED58756.jpeg 9E40EB9A-D2A2-4C6A-85E6-8A011DE0B904.jpeg E684538D-D215-4ACC-9A63-E0767ACFD874.jpeg BF88ED7B-8EC6-4973-875F-1E5B893C08DC.jpeg

Attachments

• B3509867-EEA4-46CD-BBB5-F0B5747F18C1.jpeg
    B3509867-EEA4-46CD-BBB5-F0B5747F18C1.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 7

lammie200

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 25, 2016
San Francisco
Looks to me like the neck pocket just need widening. I would use a scraper and sandpaper on a square solid block on both sides. I wouldn't worry about the length of the neck pocket. There should be plenty of room to adjust the saddles for intonation but worth checking before trying to take away material from the neck pocket bridge side. The holes in the neck may need to be plugged and redrilled. Everything is fixable and par for the course with a partcaster IMHO.

Geoff06

Strat-O-Master
Nov 15, 2021
Wisconsin
One. It's vital to get the scale length correct, so check that by pre fitting the bridge and measuring before you screw the neck down.

^^^

And I'm also in the camp that the back of the neck pocket should only be addressed if the scale length ends up being obviously wrong with the neck mounted after the pocket width is fixed, but without the neck being screwed in. Plugging and redrilling the neck wouldn't bother me.

Mbroady

Strat-Talker
Mar 21, 2022
WNC
If you believe this, then you should probably just return the body (or the neck?). I don't mean this to sound harsh, but if you find this daunting, maybe assembling partscasters just isn't for you. And that's OK.

Also, I'm not comfortable the diagnostic method you used resulting the pencil line around the pocket. If I'm understanding what you did, there's no real way of knowing that the screws remained plumb (meaning they could pivot out of perpendicular) when you drew your outline. Plus, remember your pencil outline will be slightly outside the actual edge of the neck and when dealing with such small distances it could appear worse than it is.

Like I said, I hope this didn't some off as harsh. We're all just trying to help. But honestly, I don't see anything here that's egregious. Good luck!
I appreciate the comment. And it's not about finding the tasks too difficult or daunting. Not rocket science and If need be I will sit down with the right tools and get the job done. But what I want to know are my my expectations too high. I order two Quality Parts that are supposed to be compatible, but they do not join together as expected. With that said, I really appreciate the MJT customer Services. The communication has been great and I did send them the pictures as well. Waiting to hear back from them

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I’ve probably had 10 or more MJT/BloomDoom bodies, they both use Wildwood cut bodies and also the newer MJT eBay bodies can also be USACG. Never had it that far off.

I’m guessing the neck is the issue. Also that’s why you never get the neck holes pre-drilled. You drill to the body you’re using not they’re predetermined guess of what you might have.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Thanks, that seems like the right approach, but I'm curious, is it common to have this much divergence when putting together a quality neck and body together. Based on the pictures does it seem extreme. And going forward should I expect this with other builds.
There are tolerances in the parts. Having to do a little hand fitting is not out of the ordinary, and nothing to worry about.

I would rather have your situation, and have to do a little sanding for a perfect fit, than have big gaps in the pocket.

Just do it, get it done, and move on.

FuncleManson

Strat-O-Master
May 23, 2021
Moline, IL
I appreciate the comment. And it's not about finding the tasks too difficult or daunting. Not rocket science and If need be I will sit down with the right tools and get the job done. But what I want to know are my my expectations too high. I order two Quality Parts that are supposed to be compatible, but they do not join together as expected. With that said, I really appreciate the MJT customer Services. The communication has been great and I did send them the pictures as well. Waiting to hear back from them
Others may disagree, but IMO, yes. I've always felt it's understood that when assembling a partscaster, some work might be needed to get things to fit. Like I said before, it's more likely with cheap projects, but not unheard of with higher end components.

Remember, we're talking about two pieces of wood, each (?... not sure about your neck) with a finish on it. Going through the posts, it doesn't appear there's even a consensus on which is the offending part. If the measurements in your original post are accurate, I'd say both parts are within reasonable tolerances.

I've completed three projects that I would consider high end (nitro finished body pair with a custom-built neck), with two more in the works and just off the top of my head, I've had to sand the neck pocket of one and use a blade to scrape finish out of another. Another is on the other end of the spectrum--there is gap on the treble side--LOL.

Mbroady

Strat-Talker
Mar 21, 2022
WNC
FYI: after sending the pictures to Matt with mjt, he got back to me and said send the body back to them and they will make it right, or send me a new body . Got to love that customer service

Thanks all for chiming in. I love this community and I learn so much every time I come here

Last edited:

s5tuart

Perfecting time travel since 2525
Aug 8, 2011
All over the place!
FYI: after sending the pictures to Matt with mjt, he got back to me and said send the body back to them and they will make it right, or send me a new body . Got to love that customer service

Thanks all for chiming in. I love this community and I learn so much every time I come here
That's great service indeed! Have you considered sending the neck to Matt too so he can see exactly what needs doing to the body?