Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

First pedal build/what the heck did I build?

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by Johnny Danger, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Strat-Talk Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    So I ordered this extremely cheap pedal kit on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01COVE0EO/?tag=strattalk05-20

I really got it just as an experiment/learning tool. I have done soldering, just not on PCB's before. I had a couple of rookie mistakes that didn't hurt anything, and got the pedal fully operational just yesterday. My Strat is actually having some work done, so the only guitar I could test it with was a piezo equipped acoustic.

But my main question after all that is, what exactly is this thing supposed to be? It's definitely not a simple circuit which rules out things like a fuzz face or similarly less involved pedals. There is no provided diagram, just a printout of what is already printed on the PCB. You can see a picture of that sheet and see that it has both a 4558 and 741 chip, so I'm just not sure what this thing is supposed to be, if anything.

2. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2009
    Florida
    I don't know for sure but I think it's some kind of Big Muff op amp version. For future purchases I can't recommend BYOC kits enough. Instructions, support, components. All very strong. How does it sound?

Guy Named Sue likes this.

3. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    I don't see any bias pot nor any transistors, were there any in the package you got from them? Cause I don't see it on the pictures. Next time buy from builyourownclone.com they send you the best components and help you through everything.

[​IMG]

4. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    You're building a big muff PI 78 which has the 4558 and 741 chip

[​IMG]

5. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Strat-Talk Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    Thanks for clarifying what this is supposed to be. I did look at BYOC initially, but I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money for what could be a failed endeavor. This was 20 bucks and had everything including 3 colors of wire all pre cut and pre tinned. But yeah, what you posted is what it came with.

As far as sound, I'm afraid I have like zero reference. I didn't touch pedals hardly at all when I played about a decade ago and have only recently picked up an electric again. My only amp is a solid state acoustic (tube amp is on the list for next big purchase) that I can get a decent clean tone from, but like I said, I wasn't able to play my Strat through it yet.

This was mostly just a "Hey, can I actually do this?" kind of purchase. Now that I know I can pull it off, I'll consider more builds as opposed to buying commercially available stuff when I feel like I can get something better. After I get a decent tube amp, I'll probably look into the tube screamer clones.