First post, and a NGD 1962 slabboard.

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Trapland, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Trapland

Trapland Strat-Talk Member

Hi folks,

NGD is down a ways....

I’m new to the forum. I’m active in Les Paul, Tele, and Marshall forums under the same username.

I’m also relatively new to strats. I’ve owned a dozen or so and never kept one over a year. I’ve owned roadworns, mexi standards, American standards, EJs, squiers both $99 Mars music Asian, as well as Vintage vibes.

A little less than a year ago I decided I was going to own a Strat and keep it if only for recording. My local shop had an American Original 60s in white. I dig the neck profile, much like one of my historic LPs. I didn’t like the color so much so I took a chance and ordered both a 50s in gold and 60s in sunburst. WOW! I really dig them. (i know you all will flame me but I changed all the pickups to TexMex). I started adding them to live shows instead of all Gibson’s. I started adding more strat type material to the set too.

A couple months ago I took a little inventory of my gear. I’ve always been that guy that likes Vintage amps and newer vintage style guitars. Some of my amps are a 64 Twin, a 71 small box Marshall and my personal fav an original full stack early 1968 50 watt bass rig. But my guitars are all Gibson historic Les Pauls, ES335s, 50s style teles, 50s-60s style strats all in nitro. I didn’t own any vintage guitars. I’ve owned many, 50’s Gibson archtops, thinlines, cheaper vintage fenders likE mustangs. I’ve NEVER kept any because I actually DIDNT like how they felt to play or sounded as well as new guitars and I didn’t have to feel bad about a pickup change or regret on a new guitar.

Since “reissue” type guitars rarely appreciate in value (a few do but who knows which will) I decided to no longer buy newer guitars. I have enough of every type I could ever want so I figured if I start adding vintage guitars, even if I don’t like them I could at least use them as recording tools and they may not lose value compared with reissues. I also decided to be patient and only buy ones I thought OTHER people would like in case I wanted to liquidate.

That was a few months ago and I missed a couple affordable 70’s Fenders and a Gibson MM. one day I was at my local shop and some guy came in looking for a Mustang bass. I knew there was an import and a 70s versions on the wall so I helped him plug in (I don’t work there, just help a bit). He bought the $200 import, I ended up falling in love with the 1976 natural Mustang bass. It’s 7 1/2 lbs! I really dig it with flat wounds. Not the most expensive bass at $1200, but if I bought a new P bass at that price it would loss 50% when I got it to the car.

I spent a couple months looking at some 70s strats, teles (they seem to be going up in price), some Es-3x5s and a couple gretsches. I missed the good ones and didn’t like the rest. All of the sudden my fav local shop had several cool old fenders. A CBS jazz master, white and black guard teles, a CBS strat, and a 57 and 62 strats. I didn’t like the JM, too much stuff going on. I didn’t want to pay $35 and 75k for the teles, the 57 strat was EXPENSIVE and rough. But the 62 Stratocaster seemed nice. I bought it!

I played it unplugged for about 10 minutes and put it back on the wall. I’d never bought a single guitar over a 5 figure price before. Sure a couple R9s on the same day but not ONE guitar that expensive. And I tell myself, “I’m not really even a strat guy”. For a long weekend I thought about it. It was a 5 figure price tag, and a refin. I’m no strat expert but I trust this shop. I wanted a player grade vintage guitar that would not lose value yet I could play the hell outta. It’s body is refinished in a perfectly done 3 color Nitrocellulouse sunburst which was the original color. Little overspray in the cavities. The neck appears to be over sprayed, but may be a total refin, still investigating. It’s got plenty of orange peel unlike the body which is perfectly glossy so I think overspray.

The pickguard, pickups, pots, switch, knobs, covers, bridge, buttons, tuners, plate all original. The only solder joints touched are the ground bunch and the jack hot. They were undone to remove the pickguard assy for refinishing. The frets have been replaced with standard vintage size frets. The lovely dark Brazilian fingerboard appears to have been reradiused to 8-9”. I don’t have a gauge, I’m positive it needed it to remove divots. The only divot left is B string first fret, so I can imagine how deep the rest were. I normally like huge frets, but for some reason I like this fingerboard shape with these frets. I am the 4th owner.

The history of this guitars service seems like this:

Original owner plays the hell out of the thing, loved it like it should be loved. Wears out frets and fingerboard. Lifts the pickguard a bit do he can rattle can touch up the black edge chips (non-nitro overspray on tone pot)? Somewhere along that time it looks like a very thin coat of nitro was brushed (!) over the pickguard too. Unless you guys are aware of that being an original thing that is. Maybe he heard it was done on teles?

Son inherits strat (2nd owner). Thinking the worn and touched up finish looks bad, he has at least the body refinished professionally. Finally sells to my local shop. I don’t count retailers in owner count. Guy buys from store 5 years ago. (3rd owner). Pays someone to professionally clean rust, dirt, etc. (sad). Has broken, shrunken pickguard replaced with new ABS one but keeps original. Puts it on consignment a few weeks ago at local shop and now it’s mine. 4th owner. I reinstalled the original parts into the original pickguard and played it a week. Loved it but missed my 5 way and 2 volume mod so I removed and stored the original complete pickguard assy all without breaking any solder joints and installed the new one full of all new parts and mods.

I didn’t expect to like or even care about playing this April 62 strat. I own 2 other nitro American strats and like them yet this one seems to draw me to it. Finally I found a true vintage guitar that I want to play.
    E8213549-7FCF-436F-88CE-618348F023B5.jpeg 99755407-4082-4AED-90B3-227DEB948A54.jpeg 705478F0-69C3-435E-9EEC-C50835152B2B.jpeg E8FA9E44-0FFF-4AC2-B00F-17FCC34F87AF.jpeg
    E8213549-7FCF-436F-88CE-618348F023B5.jpeg

2. Trapland

I just compared the headstock decal to 2 known originals in person. Im no expert< but I had my doubts about mine being original. It’s not. I didn’t think it was as there is clearly newer unsanded lacquer on the neck. So yes, I know it’s wrong. :thumb:

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

HNGD! And Welcome!

Tguitarfloyd and Stratafied like this.
  4. Kdawg1966

Kdawg1966 Strat-Talker

HNGD and welcome. Congrats on both purchases. They both look awfully fine to me. Enjoy in good health.

Stratafied likes this.
  5. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Welcome.. beautiful guitars.

6. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Wow, my dream Strat is a '62 slab board. Amazing figuring in the neck, I think that was pretty rare for pre-CBS!

7. Trapland

I was skeptical about the neck because it’s so figured. I pulled the guitar apart before I bought it and it has all the telltale signs that it’s original, date stamp with the two 2’s in different font, tool marks, + dent, orig finish inside of pocket, etc. I like it!

Since I come from the GIBSON reissue world, I thought maybe the neck was “shaved” thinner, but I was able to compare profiles with 2 other 62s and it’s right in there. I have no doubt it an original refinished 2APR62B neck.

sometime in the next week or so I’ll put the original guts back in, dial in the truss rod and take some photos inside.

8. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Yeah that's really amazing. When I first saw it I was thinking "that's not a '62 Strat, that's a Custom Shop or it has a replacement neck!" Great guitar, it's not a refin? That's worth a fortune as you surely know.

9. Tdurden032

Tdurden032 Strat-O-Master

I really dig the strat - very cool
    History behind it too - welcome to the forum!!

10. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

At least put the original knobs on.
    Now it looks like a reissue. ;)

Bazz Jass likes this.
  11. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Congrats on your find and HNGD!

12. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster

Wow, holy diver...you came in like a wrecking ball.
    Welcome, and these are the moments you know

Life is good,
    Robin

13. mattlikespizza

mattlikespizza Strat-Talk Member

I need to stay out of the Pre-CBS side of the Strat-Talk because of posts like this.. It's opening up a desire for something that I'll never be able to afford/justify. haha, Incredible find!!! The figure on that neck is wonderful.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  14. LHstrat

LHstrat Strat-Talker

George's 61 was pretty figured
    Screenshot 2020-07-17 at 16.47.57.png

Stratafied and rafasounds like this.
  15. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-O-Master

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the pics of your new equipment.

16. picapoyo

picapoyo Strat-Talker

The serial number of yours is close to mine. It’s 76690 with neck date March 62. But not figured that much

17. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

I really don't like the look of original plastics with repro guards. Just me?

upload_2020-7-18_21-46-28.png

In terms of sympathetic shades, the whole package needs to have aged together (same guitar here with original guard). Just works right??

upload_2020-7-18_21-49-11.png

Stratwrangler and nickmsmith like this.
  18. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

I think it’s just that the shade of that mint green looks like a pale reproduction, and it looks brand new while the knobs don’t . If they found one that more closely resembled the original, it’d be great.

I know eBay sells a few hand reliced ones that look real, that would probably be worth buying on a valuable guitar like that. If I had to go through 20 to find one that looked right, I’d probably do it, or buy a real 60s one.

Bazz Jass likes this.
  19. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-O-Master

Man, that's amazing. Most of us can only dream of owning one. Congrats, and post some sound clips if you can. Would love to hear it!

20. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talker

Good read! And also it sounds like you have a great local shop. My local just sells ‘no name’ junk for beginners.