Join Strat-Talk Today

First post and NGD 1990 American Standard Strat! Tell me what I need to know!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by leeowensoas1, Nov 8, 2019.

1. leeowensoas1

leeowensoas1 New Member!

Hey all! First time poster but I've learned a lot reading here over the years!

So ever since I started playing I've dreamt of a purple strat of my own, my favorite guitar in a tragically underused color. Finally after years I found a real gem on reverb, currently in transit to me. The guitar was listed as a 1999 american strat, no detail on the model. I had trouble turning up any Metallic purple 1999 american strats (standard, given no locks on the tuners) and the serial didn't show up in the fender db. I'm not particularly knowledgeable on the history of strats but a little internet research turned up that this was a legit strat, but from 9 years earlier with the N9***** serial number from the start of 1990's production run. The serial being on the front and trees all confirmed.

Sorry for being wordy, but I'm pretty excited for this one haha! Anyway just wondering, should I do any of the usual pickup rolls, locking tuners, nut, etc. on this thing? I know 90s strats are no pre-65s, but in a couple months this guitar will be 30 years old, mint condition and bone stock. I'm wondering if there's any concern that it may be worth something in a few years and should be kept stock

2. aviamsi

aviamsi Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to the forum and congrats for the new guitar!!

3. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Do what you like with it, it's never going to be more valuable than all the other American Standards out there which even now don't command huge amounts, in fact they are very good value for money.

The quality of the hardware is very good so locking tuners etc are really just personal preference.

4. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Strat!
    Pls let us see it when you got it home.
    Give yourself time to enjoy it as it is. If it's mint, and bone stock as you say, it should be just one fine Strat.

JP68 likes this.
  5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

If you like locking tuners, and it has the two prong routing, just get a set of fender lockers for the two pin design and swap em. I just got a set for $40.00 and put them on my American Special. It takes two minutes to change strings now. And it’s my number one. So it’s going to get a lot of strings. The rest of the parts are probably great. If you like the way it plays and sounds, there is no need to change anything.

vid1900 likes this.
  6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Oh, and Welcome!

7. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to the show.....

In 1999 Fender had a color known as "Galactic Purple" that was used on the American Standard....

I am including a couple of photos that show this in the '99 Frontline catalog...sorry for the terrible pics, it's early...

20191108_063356.jpg 20191108_063406.jpg

The color code was "93" and it is the last color in the chart on the right hand side of the page.

Another sure way to tell whether your strat is a 1990 or 1999 due to the "N9" serial is the Fender font. If it is spaghetti style it is a '99, the older style font would make it a '90....

here is a pic of my 1990 strat:

90 strat w_o serial.jpg

By the mid '90's (not exactly sure what year), they went to the spaghetti style font....like this:

CIMG8141.JPG

Definitely show us pics of the guitar, I personally love the color and I'm contemplating one that is for sale on ebay...

8. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

I have a '99 Am Std that's stock, and it's my favorite Strat... Punchy yet sweet.

9. Smokey3

Smokey3 Strat-Talker

I love the standard, I always call them the working man's strat because they are a great guitar and want put you in the poor house. You can change things on it if you like but I would just play the crap out of it. Congrats on getting yourself a great guitar.

BigNorm likes this.
  10. bsman

bsman Strat-Talker

[​IMG]

Oh - and welcome!

albala likes this.
  11. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to the forum Lee

Unless there are things broken on the guitar, I say live with it for a while and see how you like it.

It should be as good as any guitar ever made by Fender so you don't need to run out and modify it.

A tune up from a knowledgeable tech could make a huge difference in how it plays and feels.

My first Strat was an N9 Strat Plus in 1991 that I got after graduating from high school...I still have it and love playing it.

Purple is a very rare color for the time.

We need pics!!

Does your guitar look like this one?

Andrew Wasson, Neil.C, Yves and 2 others like this.
  12. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now that is one sweet strat......

albala likes this.
  13. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Congrats and welcome! Please show us some photos when you get a chance

The headstock decal change was 1995 - move to the spaghetti font with the serial number on the back.

crawdaddy likes this.
  14. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

Those are some serious Strats, you lucked out finding that one. I have a 2000, it was 16 years old and new unplayed when I bought it out of a private collection. I would say the only thing you need done right away is get it setup properly and the pickup height should to be adjusted for the best desired output. Anything else you do is just for personal preference because they are pretty darn good just the way they were made. Congrates on your new guitar. Please post sone pictures.

albala likes this.
  15. leeowensoas1

leeowensoas1 New Member!

Screenshot_20191108-141422_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191108-141425_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191108-141430_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191108-141435_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191108-141439_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191108-141443_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191108-141448_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191108-141453_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191108-141458_Gallery.jpg

These are from the reverb listing, will post more when it arrives :) Also given I'm buying this guitar pretty sight-unseen and the seller was a new seller on reverb, please if you see any causes for concern from the pics on the legitimacy or condition of the guitar call them out!

And thanks all for the welcome! Will probably just throw some drop-in locking tuners in just for the string changes, but my warmoth partscaster has all the fancy top of the line upgrades and even my American elite had custom shop handwound pickups rolled in, so it might be nice to play a truly stock strat for a change

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    bsman, albala, Neil.C and 2 others like this.
  16. leeowensoas1

leeowensoas1 New Member!

Oh and Schaller Straplocks of course :)

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  17. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to the board! [​IMG]

And congratulations on your new Strat! She's purty! [​IMG]

18. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

Yes, and it has the buttons installed for them.

19. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

In one of Fender's odder moves from that era the American Standards came with the Schaller Straplock buttons installed but they didn't come with the clip parts that go on the strap; the clips did come with the Strat Plus/Strat Plus Deluxe/Strat Ultra/Tele Plus. I'm not 100% sure when Fender dropped the Schaller buttons on the "American Standard level" guitars - it was during the American Series run but it wasn't when they came out in 2000, it was between then and 2003 (through a trade I wound up with a 2003 American Series HH Strat and it had the strap buttons they've used since then on American Series/American Standard/American Professional guitars).

Neil.C and roadhog96 like this.
  20. Loner71

Loner71 Strat-Talk Member

It looks just like the Strat in albala's vid. Good looking guitar and welcome to the forum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.