Join Strat-Talk Today

First show in 8 years

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ArlenBucy, Feb 8, 2009.

1. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

So me and my buddy are playing a coffee shop gig in a couple of weeks. Its the first time I've played out in 8 years and I'm scared to death. Plus I used to play with a full band and I've never played just me and an acoustic before. OMG I'm scared.:eek:

2. stratluvr

stratluvr Strat-O-Master

you will be fine.. Have some fun with it.. Are you only useing acoustics? What type of music do you plan to play..

3. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Dude, I know how you feel. I just started looking for bands to join a couple weeks ago. I was meeting a drummer from one of the bands I'm auditioning for at a local club that had a live band. I walked in, saw the drummer and started talking to him. I glanced at the stage and saw something that looked familiar, it was the singer from a band I was in back in the 80's! The next thing I knew I was pulled up on stage and handed a guitar in front of a crowded bar and the drummer from a band I had not even auditioned for yet. I ended up playing two songs before I ever had a chance to order a drink. I was nervous as hell at first, but then it just felt like old times.

4. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim Strat-O-Master

That's cool. I've thought about maybe trying to book some solo/duo gigs, but I always lose confidence in my chops. I haven't played a gig in about 8 years myself. Best wishes, and let us know how it goes.

Jim

5. asc67

asc67 Senior Stratmaster

Don't sweat it , coffee shop gigs are about as layed back as they get. Me and my buddy did a couple last winter and it was the first time in a while we had played out. The nerves go away after the first tune or two. Just have fun.
    Here is a short clip of one of the gigs.

YouTube - Beaumont Rag - Big Yampa

6. hendrixfan

hendrixfan Senior Stratmaster

good luck man i,m sure you will be fine,

7. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Strat-O-Master

Good luck! I know it'll be loads of fun. asc67... nice playing!

8. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

good luck mate and enjoy yourself. If the audience like you, then great, if they don't then tough.

9. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

Hey man, dont sweat it. Have fun and lay back. Good luck dood.

10. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

Do some "busking" before then. Just consider it "outdoor practice". If you don't know about your local laws regarding busking, don't put out a "hat" or leave a guitar case open, that way if "the man" comes around, you can just tell them the truth. You've got a gig coming up, but you're nervous, so you're getting out in front of people to get comfortable.

11. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Busking might be fine in Arizona this time of year, but I can't imagine doing it here until it warms up. Open jam nights at local clubs or even just getting some friends together to play in front of will help get passed playing in front of others. Also keep in mind that most of the people in the bars wish they could play half as good, the other half are probably too drunk to care.

12. CandyAppleHead

CandyAppleHead Strat-O-Master

Good luck with the gig. At least with just an acoustic, there's less to go wrong, so you can concentrate on your playing.

13. ArlenBucy

Yeah its just acoustic. We are practicing in about an hour. I'll let you know what I think after that.

14. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

Rocks, my suggestion was aimed at AB, specifically, since he's in FL. I actually did check that before posting. I used to live in northern IL, so I know it's not an option for most people in the northern hemisphere at this time of year.

15. SDStrat

SDStrat Strat-Talker

Just relax and have fun! And rocks makes a great point.

16. ArlenBucy

Well we practiced for a couple hours today and it felt really good and I'm not half as nervous as I was. I'm still nervous though. The show aint for two weeks so we have some more practice planned. I am going to try to get my wife to film the show, if she does I'll post it up. thanks for the encouragement guys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.