First song you taught yourself?

casualofender

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 17, 2009
Dallas TX
What was the first song you taught yourself without any help? No sheet music or help from friends.
Mine was "Basing Street" by Nick Lowe.
Great song about a dead body on the pavement.

Last edited:

sevycat

Custom Shop Cat
Aug 8, 2008
Newark, DE
The first song I hacked my way thru with no help was Led Zepplin's want a whole lotta love. God Bless 8-Track tape players. Not!

nezha

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 4, 2009
Pirate Island
I learned only my favorite riffs and solos of songs for a while when I started. The first song I learned all the way through was Jeff Beck's version of "A Day in the Life"

ActionFletch

Strat-O-Master
Mar 5, 2009
Australia
I remember trying to work out the Beatles `Birthday` riff, and realising about a year later it wasn`t right! :)

Kids these days won`t understand you couldn`t just look up the Tab!

CandyAppleHead

Strat-O-Master
Apr 28, 2008
Cambridge, England
Remember it well - I got my first guitar, a cheapo nylon string acoustic I bought from a kid at school, in the morning, and in the afternoon I'd just about figured out the riff from Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive.

SDStrat

Strat-Talker
Dec 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
Can't remember specifically either, probably Take it Easy by the Eagles or something like that. I used to sit in my bedroom with an old cassette recorder and record songs off the AM radio, then repeatedly play them back to figure them out.

Astro1176

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 20, 2009
UK
I first worked out and learnt a Roy Harper tune, either 'I Hate The Whiteman' (a song from the perspective of American Indians) or 'Don't You Grieve' (a song from the perspective of Judas Iscariot)