First Strat - a few questions

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by minecroft, Dec 4, 2020.

1. minecroft

minecroft Strat-Talk Member

Just bought a 84-87 MIJ Stratocaster and I was about to swap the junk electronics out with a pre-wired Custom 69 setup but it won't fit.

Cables in the way, seems to be tight between the top and bottom pickups.

The guitar says ST-314 on the bottom of the neck, with only VWE stamped in the pocket next to the micro-tilt.

I am absolutely struggling to find anything on this model other than it's possibly a medium/small scale for beginners or folk with short hands, although on initial inspection, looks and feels just normal.

I'd happily just swap the pups out to the new pickup guard bit its in a different colour to what I'm after (parchment pots on black scratchplate).

Is there anywhere I can buy the correct colour of pickguard and just swap that out instead:? Or does anyone have any knowledge on taht series?

Attached Files:

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Welcome to the forum! Can you help us to help you, what is the serial number prefix letter? I can't make it out in your photo......

The ST-314 is a shorter scale and smaller bodied Strat, you can't put a full size loaded pickguard on - you have to keep the existing pickguard and swap over electronics. The body control cavity also might not be deep enough for full size pots.....

This is a Boxer Series 'medium scale' 24.75" strat.....it's not for beginners or anything, a lot of guys prefer this scale length, even pros with big hands....

If you want to change pickguards on this, you have to get one custom made....which is pricy....

LTBanger4 and Isca like this.
  3. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-O-Master

It’s an “E”

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  4. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-O-Master

Welcome to the club! As Guitarmaggedon pointed out, a standard pickguard won't fit, but if you have all the electronics prewired, it shouldn't be too hard to swap them into the existing guard. A word of warning though: Measure them first! If they don't fit for whatever reason, you are left with two guards and neither of them working.

5. Isca

Isca Strat-Talker

If you're desperate for a different pickguard colour, there are folks who will custom cut you a new one based on the original or a template. More expensive than stock ones, obviously, but it's an option.

LTBanger4 likes this.
  6. minecroft

Thanks for the reply. The serial is E780028

7. minecroft

This just seems like the start of hassle I can be doing without. If the body is shorter, can I change the bridge or neck etc? Perhaps I should just wing it back and hope the seller agrees to take it (It was sold as a 1984 Japanese Standard Strat, no mention of model or medium scale).

8. minecroft

D
    It doesn't appear to be a Boxer - they have HSS from what I can see online.

9. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

That is correct. I had one made for a LP Special 2
    3E38A42A-A1A3-470F-A4B9-2C0F5B6D659B.jpeg

thomquietwolf, Miotch and jtoomuch like this.
  10. minecroft

Very nice!

Stevn likes this.
  11. LTBanger4

LTBanger4 Strat-O-Master

My opinion, don't get rid of it... it's a unique guitar (as all are), you are embarking on the incredible feeling of customizing that guitar and making it unique to you. Yes, it may cost you more money than you expected, it may take some time to get all the parts and pieces that you need, but when you get it the way you want it you're going to be able to add to the story of the guitar, along with a few tools to your box. You're in the best place on the planet to find the resources needed to get that guitar the way you want it, we're all here to point you in the right direction. On the other side of that coin, you are in the best place on the planet to help that guitar find a new owner... if you choose not to keep it... I'll look forward to seeing it for sale in the classifieds forum! Good luck!

Caddy likes this.
  12. Guitarmageddon

Boxer series were medium scale, every medium scale is part of the Boxer series - no you can't change the body or neck, if you don't like this scale, try to return it - a normal Strat body or a normal Strat neck would not intonate.

It's for sure not a Standard, you can send it back for 'not as described' if you're not happy....but the quality of these is very high.....

13. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

I keeps my greasy hands off the body paint!

14. minecroft

Any idea if a stock USA bridge & tremolo would fit her? I reckon I can still change the pots and pups and give her a good setup. One of the problems is she’s still great, but needs better electrics and tuners, possible a better trem. Thanks

15. Guitarmageddon

No, a stock USA tremol bridge will never fit ANY Fender Japan Strat - they're 2 point 56mm spaced, for 2 studs.....

Why do you even need to change the bridge? It should be a full size big block.

16. minecroft

I have the same sentiment. I’ve only started buying parts or guitars to mod and knew this was a risk (I live on an island so it could cost almost half the price I paid just to ship back, VAT etc).

While I think about what to do, I’ll probably try get hold of a USA body as I gambled a bit on this one.
    Thanks for the kind words!

LTBanger4 likes this.
  17. minecroft

It’s just a bit rusty looking really so was thinking new saddles at the very least, but why not just replace all the chrome whilst I’m at it.
    Surely tuners will fit?

18. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

I don't think tuners will prove an issue and rusty hardware can simply be taken off, cleaned and returned.

19. minecroft

Fair play. I better get googling on how to clean up the chrome a bit - I don’t want the string trees or saddles snapping my strings.

This is the guitar I bought

20. Guitarmageddon

No, American tuners will not fit either.....the ones on this model are very high quality to begin with....the american and mexican 'block' tuners fit 2 pin locator holes, which is not easy to do....

CLEAN the parts, re-use them, set it up....change nothing.....