Join Strat-Talk Today

First Strat Ever Made

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by BluesDontCare, Mar 8, 2017.

1. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

knh555 likes this.
  2. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

No disrespect intended to Mr. Duncan here, but the Gilmour Strat has been verified to be an actual . . .
    1954 Strat. Interestingly, a book from the '70s "The Fender Guitar" by Ken Achard, showed several of Mr. Duncan's vintage Fenders and one of them was that Stratocaster but incorrectly labeled a 1955 Strat.
    There is a previous thread here, umpteen pages long, called "Dave's White Strat" that goes into quite a lot of detail, including that picture. I recommend checking it out. :)

Several pages back (page 41), here on the "Pre-CBS Strats" portion of S-T.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  3. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  4. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

No, that doesn't quite look like I remember...but there were probably several prototypes while they were nailing down initial specs. So I'd imagine several of those still existing somewhere.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  5. WireLine

WireLine Strat-Talker

I’ve been led to believe by several people that Eldon Shamblin from the Texas Playboys Had Strat SN 002...

6. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

Probably the factory. My 60 has a shim in it that is probably factory. The neck had apparently never been taken off, when I got it refretted in the late 70s.

7. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I actually kind of assumed that. Was making fun at the multiple neck-shim posts over the years. I take a shot a nitro posts, too, whenever an opportunity arises !!

8. Wayne D.

I believe it was in Richard Smith's book that Leo had five prototypes or 'mules' as he called them where he would test out his designs on the strat. Mostly the trem area. After he was done with them he would cut and chop them up. That one I put up is the only known one to exist, only because Leo had laid it on a shelf and it was given to an employee later on.
    If you had played another I would try and track it down, it would certainly be worth your time and effort just from an historical standpoint.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  9. Wayne D.

Curtis Ray Young had serial #0002. He was a C&W guitar player. His strat is on display at the Fender Museum.

Eldon Shamblin's '54 strat was serial #0569 with neck & body dates of June 1954.

a175.jpg

10. WireLine

WireLine Strat-Talker

Thanks...what year is that Young Gtr?

11. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

My SB 54 is dated Oct 54 and serial number #1056
    although the neck plates where simply in a box and used as they came out not actually in numerical order
    ive a 59 dated sept ser number #54880 and a 1960 ser number #55230 so the numbers do not mean too much more than a general period
    some early strats have the same numbers too as a batch of plates was duplicated in the 50s

12. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

Yea, kind of figured it was a joke.

You know on nitro - I have a '60, it is pretty worn. Wear through the outer nitro finish, you hit this under coat. Now, the nitro was worn off where the arm goes when I got it in '76. It took another 20 years of hard playing, and I mean gigging almost every night, and playing it all day (It was my only guitar) to wear through that. Tough stuff. Not as tough as poly, but tough stuff. Nitro was just the top coat, the color on top. The stuff on the body, from what I can find, under the nitro was sherwin williams homoclad. They still make it. "SHER-WOOD® Homoclad® Sealer is a tough, moisture-resistant, synthetic sealer for use under both solvent and water reducible topcoats." So, yea ... nitro.

I do love nitro though, I think it looks the best. By the way, my '60 330, after some cleaning and polishing, the nitro looks almost new. Some light checking. Now, it wasn't gigged as much as the strat, but yea, gigged and played a lot and the finish is fine. Gibson did guitar finishes, that lasted. Fender just sprayed some paint on and shipped them. :)

13. Wayne D.

The Young strat 0002 has a neck date of June 1954. The same as Gilmour's.

WireLine likes this.
  14. WireLine

WireLine Strat-Talker

Interesting... thanks. Need to dig for it, but I seem to recall an article decades back in which Eldon said his was the 2d Strat off the l8ne...I may have been under the influence of (fill in the blank)...or whatever.

Love the chicken head knobs...night do that to one of mine

Wayne D. and bonedust like this.
  15. Wayne D.

He may have meant the second strats. The first being the tremolo plate ones and his the metal plate ones.:)

WireLine likes this.
  16. mhanif90

mhanif90 Strat-Talk Member

Doesn't YJM have one? I remembered it was a black one which he just casually put on the floor and stack it with his other YJM strats.

Wayne D. likes this.
  17. Wayne D.

You are referring to Yngwie Malmsteen's black 1954 strat. It is stamped 0159 on the trem cover and has a neck date of March 1954.:)

18. Inventour

Inventour Strat-Talk Member

Does anyone remember the mint closet find 1954 that sold for 85k around 2003 from the original owners family? It was unplayed. A dealer in CA bought it back when you could see bidders on ebay, the good ole days. Maybe the cleanest example. I copied the pics on an old hard drive, I need to find them. A true time capsule. I believe his eBay name was Tune O Matic. Anyone have these pics?

Wayne D. likes this.
  19. Wayne D.

That does sound familiar Inventor. if you would have the number of the strat I could probably find it for you. I've been keeping a list of them since about 2000. I saved a pic of each one I found in a file. Well my computer crashed and I lost all the pics. :mad:
    But I remember my brother putting them on a data storage file. I'm just waiting for him to come over and open it and copy them on to this computer I have now.
    I have about 290 listed in a notebook I keep now.:)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  20. Inventour

Inventour Strat-Talk Member

Wayne, That's great. I know you are an expert.

I will find the pics. I got the extra pics from the seller not in the auction.

It will take a long time to find the pics, but I will work on it.

Crossroads 2013 in NYC is on now, B B King and Eric playing now.

Best.

Wayne D. likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.