First Strat! Now what amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Floopty Doo, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Floopty Doo

Floopty Doo Strat-Talk Member

Better late than never! Similar to another post, I've been playing 30 years and just got my first legit Strat (Fender Elite). As a metalhead, I am usually a humbucker guy. This is a new world. Any tips of the trade will be appreciated. There is a lot of helpful info out there, but maybe there is someone here who has 'been there, done that.'

I have a Mesa Mark V 35 with a 412 Recto cab, which is awesome for hard rock/metal. Anyone have any experience with this amp and a Strat? I can dial in some decent tones, but no "duck."Perhaps there is a Strat 101 for experienced guitar players thread? :)

Also considering an amp more suited to a Strat. So far, the '65 Reverb Reissue is the leading candidate.

I wanna to get the true essence of a Strat a 'heavier' edge along with the ability to get that classic sound. My current main pedals for tone are: Rat, JHS Bonsai, Keeley Compression, & MXR 10-band EQ.

Looking forward to going down this rabbit hole. WOOHOO!

2. stormsedge

stormsedge Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Better pack a lunch ;).

3. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

The essence of a strat eh? A Marshall JTM45.

4. Floopty Doo

I have heard of this. I have a 1960A 412 cab with Creambacks I'm not using for anything at the moment. Could be a decent "wake the neighbors" rig.

The Strat Dude, Groovey and Cerb like this.
  5. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-Talker

To achieve its true essence a Strat needs a Fender amp. If waking the neighbors is what you want a Twin Reverb should do the trick, even if they live a mile down the road.

TP

JUlls12, StummerJoe, JB74 and 3 others like this.
  6. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

That 4x12 and a cranked JTM45 should make the neighbours pay attention :sneaky:

Cali Dude, Ebidis and Floopty Doo like this.
  7. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Not sure you can get much better than what you already have. Play with the dials.

8. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

You have the tools. Amp and cabs.

What are the pickup heights? For duck, chime, quack, lower then to the pickguard.

Bob the builder and Floopty Doo like this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

You are searching for "Quack".

Lower your Strat pickups so the pickup covers are level with the pickguard. Then raise the bridge pickup until volume parity when switching from neck to bridge. Yes, overall volume is lower with lower pickups so turn up the big amp volume knob one closer to ten than you do on humbucker guitars.

For Quack:
    -Pick closer to the fretboard, even right over the high frets, no palm muting.
    -Use switch positions #2 & #4. Numbering: Bridge alone is #1, Neck alone is #5.
    -If you bought a 'versatile!' pickup layout with HSS then you'll struggle more getting Quack, ok for #4 but Dire Straights Sultans of Swing is #2. Hopefully you have an SSS version.
    -The concept for Quack is unequal strength pickups in parallel. Lowering a humbucker, raising screw poles, and putting the bobbins in parallel can Quack too -- once you know how to do it on a Strat.

The glassy Strat sound will come from using a Fuzz pedal like Fuzz Face or Big Muff Pi or clones of those pedals. Your RAT might let you do it because those are quite a bit of a Fuzz pedal at the highest distortion levels. Then roll back the Strat volume knob until it 'cleans up'. Play with the volume knob in that region to get what you want. I've had pretty good luck with the Azor 303 Fuzz pedal (Big Muff clone) for $20 off Amazon.

Look for a Joyo American Sound pedal. It can clone a range of Fender amps. Then run that into your amp's clean channel. The Joyo pedal is $30 or so.

Isn't the Mesa a copy of a Marshall? A Marshall is a copy of a Fender amp .... so change settings on the amp you've got.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    EC Strat and Floopty Doo like this.
  10. heavy7

heavy7 Strat-Talk Member

Fender Champion 100...I surprise myself everyday with new strat sounds with this amp.

11. Floopty Doo

True. That's the one thing I dislike about my Mesa - too much tweaking. Simplicity would be nice.

Lol! I use attenuation on my amp and I have tinnitus. Living room levels is perfectly fine. :) I have a mixer and monitors for when I host jams. I am just looking for ideas a Strat amps (tube/combo) for newbies like me.

12. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Your amp with any 4x12 and a Strat set to the neck pickup plugged straight in should be able to do some excellent Hendrix - Trower type sounds. I'm sure that if you spend an hour or two experimenting you can find a few tones you like a lot.

Floopty Doo likes this.
  13. Groovey

Let's see some pics of these beautys. We like pictures .

jtoomuch likes this.
  14. Floopty Doo

Awesome info - thanks! I have read bits and pieces of tips like this - you packaged it all up into something I can understand. :)
    Mine is all single coils. The S1 switching makes for some interesting tones (still vague on that), but I'm sticking with classic settings for now. Trying not to overwhelm myself into frustration. :) I'll try lowering the middle and neck pickups as you described.

15. Floopty Doo

Attached Files:

StummerJoe likes this.
  16. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

To the OP. I have a Mesa Mark V 25 head and 1x12 cab. I can get Fender cleans, Marshall, Vox, and of course Mesa sounds out of it. It is the most versatile amp I’ve ever owned. You just need to spend more time with your amp. Call Mesa customer service and ask them for some setting recommendations as a place to start. They know their products. I wouldn’t get rid of the Mesa in favor of anything that Fender makes. Junk by comparison.

Tone Deaf and Floopty Doo like this.
  17. Groovey

18. Stevn

Stevn Strat-Talker

I started with a fender frontman 25r. I could distort the speaker audio. I put in a better speaker and no distortion. Then I got a fender 40 modeling amp. It was louder but I couldn’t get the tone I wanted. So...
    DEF2125A-2DE2-44C0-B16F-24831BEDC9CA.jpeg 203F1DC1-DB3D-48F5-AAE8-8F534633F8EB.jpeg 72383B78-A44F-4E09-89B3-8EF7A648EAAF.jpeg
    ...and the old lady gives me the finger now when I play it! Hahahahahahaha

EC Strat, Tone Deaf, edster48 and 2 others like this.
  19. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

The Marshall that you have is a great amp for a strat. Set it to a nice gainy sound, and use the volume knob on the Strat to control the gain.

That amp with the neck pickup is Strat heaven all day long.

EC Strat, Cerb, Floopty Doo and 2 others like this.
  20. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-O-Master

Welcome to the forum. You should be able to find the sound your looking for with a little experimenting. Good luck, but it's always nice to have a reason for buying a new amp. :D

Stevn and Floopty Doo like this.