First Strat! Now what amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Floopty Doo, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Floopty Doo

Floopty Doo Strat-Talk Member

Oh, that amp is in my Will. Not going anywhere. I'm looking to add another amp to the stable. Something a visiting Strat player will approve, and something I can rock out and explore.

Miotch likes this.
  2. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-Talker

Depending upon how many watts you need, I would go with a reissue fender Bassman, or 65DRRI. If you want to go up in price, then a Victoria double Deluxe would be a cool option.

EC Strat likes this.
  3. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

I use an Ampeg Reverberocket from the early 90's. I've upgraded the speaker and tubes but it has that Fender-y thing going on in spades...and they can be had for little money.

4. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-O-Master

Your mark 5 should cover alot of bases.

Deluxe reverb is cool. So is a princeton.

I have a laney lionheart that is killer. It's more a voxy/marshall type thing

EC Strat likes this.
  5. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Drop your middle pickup lower if you are not getting any quack. I actually prefer Mesas with my strats. Nice and fat. Pull back on the bass and increase the mids and treb. Also, be sure you are in position 2 or 4 whcih are the "quack" settings.

If you are dead set on having another amp, Get all of them. A Line-6 Helix HX stomp is a great value, has good cab IRs. and very good amp sims. more than enough to figure out where "Your" strat sound is without having to find out the hard way that a $2,500 Vibro-verb is just not doing it for you.
    My personal clean sound comes from a VST (THU Overloud) from a Mark II.

Once you have played around with that awhile, you will find yourself settling in with one or to different amp sims. At that point, you may want to go look at the real thing.

Floopty Doo likes this.
  6. Ozric

Ozric Strat-Talker

For simplicity I went with an Orange rockerverb, I can make it anything I want it to be, from spark clean to a sweet tube classic tone ... best amp I ever had

Cali Dude likes this.
  7. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

Page 2 and no one has suggested a 5E3? What is going on here?

I thought this was Strat-Talk, dammit!

StummerJoe and 335eye like this.
  8. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

One amp will not do it all. You need the JTM45, an old G12H-55hz greenback 1960a cab and the 65 Twin reverb. You could also go for a nice silverface twin - providing it is not the ultralinear 75/135w versions. i.e. you want the 100w version master vol. (no push-pull).

There are hundreds of amps which will get you what you want.

If you are a Mesa fan, then the Filmore50 is probably where you want your blackface.
    If you are a marshall fan, then nothing short of a JTM or 1959 100w will ultimately deliver what you want. If you don't play big rooms, then you will need an attenuator - heartily recommend the Fryette power station.

StummerJoe likes this.
  9. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

As much as I love the classic Fender amps (eg DR, TR, PR) I have to say my Bassbreaker 30R gives me everything from sparkly cleans with great Fender reverb (albeit digital Hall) to almost Marshall-like OD/distortion. And I think it sounds great with a Strat. OP might want to check one out.

D422391B-AEF6-4CA5-976E-9F6537F121EE.jpeg FB4A8910-6A8F-425F-9C60-13DAB5171769.jpeg

Cali Dude, EC Strat and Floopty Doo like this.
  10. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Kemper :)

11. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

The Mesa you have is by far the best amp suggested so far. They can do amazing fender cleans as well as all the chunky Mesa goodies with the humbuckers. If I could only have one amp and had the scratch it would be a Mk5 all day l.

if the Mesa isn’t giving you what you want you really want to spend money I’d be inclined to go the Kemper or other high end software model route.

StratoMutt, Floopty Doo and Cerb like this.
  12. Markk916

Markk916 New Member!

As an amp builder.... who has a homemade 54 style Strat... with Benson Custom 54 pickups... let me say you are on the right track with the Deluxe Reverb Reissue,... however let me encourage you to go with a 2x10 Vibrolux, a 4x10 Super Reverb,... or MOST assuredly the JTM45 with KT66's into a pair of Heritage G12H speakers with the 75hZ lead cones... if your rig has to be 12's go with the JTM...!! However with Fenders typical blackface style circuit 10's do a better job of capturing and presenting all the nuances and harmonic content and given the 10's , not so likely to flub out... Jensen P10r's are the quintessential tone .... ohhh and since we're talking 10's we cant forget the forerunner of the JTM45, the 4x10 Tweed Bassman.... Check out Matthew Scott's YouTube channel and you'll learn tons about Strats and what works best :) Humbly, Mark :)

Floopty Doo and Cali Dude like this.
  13. bf1024

bf1024 Strat-Talk Member

I run my Strat through a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410. I Also use an external cabinet with 4 more 10" speakers. I just finished retubing the amp. 3 new 12AX7 JJ preamp tubes and a set of matched 6L6 JJ power amp tubes. The sound is amazing. In the 70's I played a Strat through a Super Reverb amp (also 4-10" speakers). Went through several amps from the 70's until now but I had to get back to a Fender tube amp. For a true Strat sound, I believe nothing but a tube amp will do. If you want to change the sound you can always experiment with the tubes such as the 1st preamp tube (sub an 12AT7 for an 12AX7 for wider headroom which will produce cleaner sounds at higher volumes). That will tame a DeVille if you feel it's too crunchy too soo on gain. If you're into metal, the 70's screamed Strat through a Marshall....Clapton has used a Fender Supersonic 22w tube amp miked in recent years and has used Vox AC30 and Marshall JTM amps as well. Depends on the sounds you want, but if you want tones from super clean to crunch without pedals, the DeVille is a great amp for that purpose.

14. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talk Member

I had the big Mark V for a while and that amp could do literally anything. Authentic Fender cleans all day long with a really nice reverb. It could do everything from a light tweed breakup all the way to full gain madness. I still regret selling it. You don't need a different amp unless you really want to go with a totally different vibe (like a Plexi or something).

15. Phoenician

Phoenician Strat-Talk Member

Welcome! I have a “68 custom deluxe reverb and I play everything from Surf to Death Metal on it. It has a true vintage channel and a Bassman tone stack channel. Both have reverb and tremolo.

The cleans are beautiful and it takes pedals really well.

You can try one at Guitar Center.

Cali Dude and Floopty Doo like this.
  16. Graeme Grande

Graeme Grande New Member!

Let your ears decide as you try out as many as possible

17. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Or you could go with a Quilter and never look back ;)

18. houseman x

houseman x Strat-Talk Member

Floopty Doo likes this.
  19. houseman x

houseman x Strat-Talk Member

AGREE WITH EBIDIS - If you don't have a JMP 50 watt older MArshall - this rig will get you there with neck pickup and strat's own volume knob all day long...then tweak tone on amp....

20. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Nothing really beats a Fender Deluxe Reverb or Princeton with a vintage Strat.

EC Strat, Cali Dude and Floopty Doo like this.