First Strat! Now what amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Floopty Doo, Sep 15, 2020.

1. kjatexas

kjatexas Strat-Talk Member

‘65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue works for me.

2. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Strat-Talker

Ive owned or played MANY amps in my life.
    The Marshall Studio Vintage is my favorite.
    Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb is excellent.

bojanbeo and Floopty Doo like this.
  3. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

A2827CF8-C91C-45AD-8995-FFE1D744DCE7.jpeg
    This is what you need, 68 Dual Showman Reverb, true Fender tone and a wake up alarm all in one.

EC Strat, mad axe man and Floopty Doo like this.
  4. datsunrobbie

datsunrobbie Strat-Talk Member

I've been very happy with my Fender CyberTwin SE. You can dial in lots of amp and effect combinations and save them in memory to call them back with just a stomp on a pedal.

Floopty Doo likes this.
  5. ClosetSciFiGeek

ClosetSciFiGeek Strat-Talk Member

You have a great setup. I have the exact same model Strat in the same color and fretboard choice. I like the Elites better than any other model because if you select the neck position on the five way selector and engage the S-1 switch it wires the middle pickup in series and sounds as thick as many humbuckers, but you can just as easily use the next position down on the five way with the S-1 switch disengaged and scoop the kids on your Mesa and get pretty good Sultan's of Swing tone too

Floopty Doo likes this.
  6. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

I have the 65’ Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and since it lacks a master volume, in order to get that sweet break-up its gotta be cranked ~7-10 and it starts to really come alive. The draw back is it’s really really loud. So if you’re just doing the bedroom or apartment thing it could be way too loud.
    The Fender Superchamp X2 has an exceptionally good sounding Deluxe reverb voice, but also a bassman, twin, JCM800, Superlead and 5150 in addition to a bunch of other voices plus with a gain and master volume and a clean channel that is just pristine.
    The Marshall 20w Origin also pairs well with the Strat especially if you have a fuzz and reverb pedal.

Floopty Doo likes this.
  7. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

I am very happy with my Fillmore 50. Wonderful amp. Great reverb.

8. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-Talker

Except a tweed era Harvard or Deluxe. Just depends upon your taste. I gigged for years with a real'65 deluxe reverb. It was cool. But I ended up trading it for some cash and a tweed Harvard.

9. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

This. ↑

That. ↑

That too. ↑

It takes time to get to know what a given setup can do. Try letting go of you favorite amp settings and start anew.

10. wiiNinja

wiiNinja New Member!

Katana - INCOMING!!!

Bob the builder, Groovey and JB74 like this.
  11. Floopty Doo

Floopty Doo Strat-Talk Member

Oh, I have been. And I take notes on different settings. I'm just looking to add to the stable - a nice "intro to Strat" tube amp. Around $1K or less.

I have one as my "grab & go" amp for garage jams. :) Very nice amp, but I prefer tubes.

StratoMutt likes this.
  12. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Damn, no kidding. .. where to start. ... really depends on what ya want to play. Me being a classic fender sort of guy these days would go for a vintage bandmaster, bassman or perhaps if I were in a more practical mood a DRRI. A blackface Showman with the single JBL tonering cabinet if I could find one and made a habit out of playing outdoor shows. If you want something a bit more esoteric but really, really nifty and practical I'd be looking hard at a Supro.

Then there's always a vintage Plexi half stack. Those things have done a bunch of heavy rock and roll lifting for going on 50 years. Robin Trower anyone? Can't beat an AC30 either, they really are the best at what they do. Edge could play any amp on the planet and often does but he is famously partial to his Vox, God only knows how many times that particular amp has been replayed across the world.

Are you/he a pedal sort of person? Something like a Musicman has the fender vibe but takes pedals better than pretty much anything I've ever played. And of course Mesa, I've long lusted after a Stiletto series combo but would up with an Express instead. Interesting combo, when rendering single coils and dialed for clean my Boogie will generate a really nice Fender chime with just enough of that Mesa buzz to know it ain't a Fender clean.

Good luck to OP. Yep, sorting through the 'what amp' question is gonna be like drinking from a fire hose.

13. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

14. Floopty Doo

Floopty Doo Strat-Talk Member

Thanks! Been lurking for a while. :)

15. Starbuck

Starbuck Strat-Talk Member

Best Strat amp is a great question. The mesa V can do some great sounds with it. Also try a Shur Badger 18 through some Celestion Vintage speakers, or an old Fender Champ vintage silverface. I usually have a pedal like a SLO or a JHS the AT andy timmons to overdrive as needed. Carmen Ghia amp also through Celestion Vintage speakers is awesome with a Strat. There is a huge difference in matching those single coils up with the right pedal and amp. If you get it right, the tone makes you want to play all night cause it sounds so good.

Floopty Doo and Cali Dude like this.
  16. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

My nephew has one of those and it’s KILLER. Very unappreciated amps

Cali Dude and KillingTone like this.
  17. Gridlock

Gridlock Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Most of my Strat playing time is through one of my two Fender amps.

E99C2FFA-6839-493B-9649-B37A1B5896EC.jpeg

roadhog96 likes this.
  18. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

AC1EC756-6350-46CB-ACC3-580A53C4BF71.jpeg I’m guessing you’re after something bigger than a 15 watt amp. So take a hard look at a Deluxe Reverb, a Twin Reverb or a bassbreaker or a bassman.

BUT, any EL 34 amp will sound immaculate when paired with a Strat. I have a Blackstar studio 10 EL 34 amp with an extension cab and it’s heaven when I kick on my Wampler Plexi pedal. Total Hendrix.

really depends on if you’re going for pristine cleans (fender) or a classic Rock crunchy tone (Marshall, Blackstar)

Floopty Doo and roadhog96 like this.
  19. 76standard

76standard Strat-Talk Member

This is a no brainer. A Fender amp, period. I bet you are hearing that Fender sound in your head and saying, how do I get “that sound”? There’s a reason why Leo built and voiced amps the way he did, because they brought out the best in his guitars, mainly, a Tele or a Strat.

Floopty Doo and Cali Dude like this.