First strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by KuuKOO, Mar 2, 2013.

1. KuuKOO

KuuKOO New Member!

Well here she is 1988 vintage:
    E
    [​IMG]

Now to date I've been a tele guy so the trem is freaking me out!

2. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Strat-Talker

Congrats really nice strat, I always love to see a blue flower, how it sounds? Tell us more please

3. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox

Welcome to the forum. Awesome Strat. To me, the flowers look more Asian than flower power. Great colour. And love the rug too. I know what you mean about the trem. I'm an acoustic guy from day one, and sometimes even forget to spin on the bar. I don't use it a whole lot, and then I get to a spot where I want it and reach for it and.....oh yeah, still in the case, throw in a little string bend a try to remember for next time.

Which Vancouver are you in? Lived out in the B.C. Vancouver back in the early 90s when the wife was going to Emily Carr. Never lived in the Washington state Vancouver, but drove through a few times and it's a beautiful spot too.

4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

That's cool. If you don't use the trem, unscrew the arm & block the trem either by inserting a wooden block, or by screwing the springs in till it sits flat.

5. Maeneman

Maeneman Former Member

Awesome strat! I love vancouver btw!

6. KuuKOO

KuuKOO New Member!

Yep Vancouver BC. So much rain! Once it's past 10 or so PST I'll plug it in to my SF deluxe reverb or Carr Rambler and do a taste test with my teles and the rest of the gear.

I got it to match with an 85 Tokai Paisley tele that I absolutely love. Both aren't so $$$ that I'm afraid to gig with them.

Oat I went to school at Dalhousie. Love NS! Thanks for the warm welcome.

I screwed the trem arm in and can't close the form fit case! Then I looked up the orginal manual and it says there is a small spring that could fall out of the unit -- so like a fool unscrewed the arm thenlooked for this spring. None. The trem itself is pretty hard to engage as well. Bears further investigation later today...

7. '57-Strato-Joe

'57-Strato-Joe ---------------------------------

Wow! What an ax!

I always remove my tremolo arm when casing the guitar. They really don't fit in the case very well when left on. Could bend it. I've seen it done. Put a piece of tape over the hole to keep the little spring in there, or take it out and stash it. Have extras on hand.

8. 73Fender

73Fender Senior Stratmaster

Nice first Strat, congrats.

I had a very good luthier tell me once to not to use the spring as it can get shredded in the hole and ruin the threads. I use teflon thread tape, works great. The same guy told me to rotate the arm left to where it is pointing at the lower left side of the body and just keep it in the case like that. Works fine on the one Strat I've done it with. Using a SKB case like those that come with the new Am Standards. Seems to fit fine. Don't know about other cases though. YMMV.

9. pauln

pauln Senior Stratmaster

The trem and case problem depends on the elevation of the trem angle and the case.

Here is how you test to decide whether to keep the trem in or take it out:

First rule of threaded trems: always rotate the arm counterclockwise until you feel and hear the threads "bump" to inform you that the engagement parts of the threads of both the arm and the hole are in position to be screwed in, then go clockwise gently...

OK, that said, if you spin the trem over the guitar there will be a low point, usually when it is over the jack.

With the trem in the low position over the jack, strum the strings and listen as you push down the trem. Since the trem arm is on the opposite side than usual, the pitch will raise. Listen carefully to determine the pitch at which the trem handle contacts the guitar.
    Now strum the strings and slowly close the case, and listen to the pitch rise as the case cover pushes the trem. If you hear the pitch get to the trem contact point with the body, take it out when the guitar is in the case.
    If the padding stops the strum sound too early to tell, you have to use a second method. Put the trem arm in the low position over the jack and push it to the body to make light contact, and tap it very gently to hear the sound of that contact.
    Then close the case lid, then lift it slightly and close it down a few times GENTLY and see if you hear the contact sound. If so, pull the trem before putting the guitar in the case.

It is a lot of trouble to do all this, but you only need to do it once to find out for sure, then you can rest easy*.

The little spring that goes into the hole is identical to the ones that sit behind the saddles, easy to find and replace. That spring will stay in the hole if you put some Vasoline or Chapstick on it before putting it in there.

*But if you change your setup, test again to be sure...

10. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

welcome to strat-talk. cool looking strat. oh, and congrats on getting your first strat.

11. KuuKOO

KuuKOO New Member!

Very very helpful info! Still no sign of a spring... Extreme newb question--What happens if there is no spring in the hole? Can the arm still work?

I tried it out today with a blackfaced SF Deluxe Reverb against my Tokai tele:

[​IMG]

The Tokai's pickups are a bit louder, especially the bridge which I really love. The strat has what I THINK is that typical 50's strat tone-- very chimey and quacky, definitely a 70's funk thing going on but usuable for me (mostly country). I especially like the neck pickup. Not sure what they are but will not hack it up.

What I really liked was how EASY it is to play-- which I guess why people like strats after all. The tele is great too but a different animal. Very very happy camper. Will be great for gigging.

12. stratman323

Hang on, this is a vintage type Strat trem bridge, right? There isn't supposed to be a spring in the hole into which the trem arm screws.

13. Naradajim

Naradajim Senior Stratmaster

Why do you say that. If it's got a full size block, it will take a spring. Both my AVRI 57 and Deluxe Roadhouse had trem arm springs in the accessory package. You can also buy them on Amazon, ten for 6 dollars, so they are readily available and cheap. I always use them. I keep a piece of masking tape on the hole when the trem arm isn't in, but as somebody pointed out, a little Chapstick or petroleum jelly will hold them in place.

if you didn't come to rock, then roll.

14. stratman323

It's news to me that there's a spring in there.

15. 73Fender

73Fender Senior Stratmaster

Like I said, my luthier who is one of the top guys in my state with like 40 yrs of experience has seen the springs degrade and break up in the hole and then damage the threads. He said to forget the spring and just use some thread tape (teflon plumbers tape) on the arm's threads, works great for me, not wobbly or loose, a nice firm fit in the hole.

When I bought my 1st Am Std used, it did not come with a trem arm. My luthier had two different Fender arms, one sits lower to the body and has less of an upwards tilt than the other. I liked the feel of the lower one and it sits well in the SKB TSA case. Haven't tried this yet with my new Hot Rod Strat with a vintage case, I suspect the vintage case will have less room for the installed arm.

I hope I can get them all to fit in the cases with the arm installed, kind of a pain to screw and unscrew them constantly. G&L has a nice design with the "push in" arm with the plastic tipped set screw just making slight contact. We do suffer for our trems eh?

16. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

That thing looks GREAT
    Welcome