Join Strat-Talk Today

First Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by vicious7, Oct 15, 2008.

1. vicious7

vicious7 Strat-Talk Member

Hello everyone. I want to start off by stating that I've been lurking here for about a month and have found this site to be quite informative. I am about to buy my first strat and I am going used. I have a few choices, all about the same price range and I was hoping to get some feedback/advice before I take the plunge.

I am assessing the following:

• 2004 American Standard 50th Anniversary
    • 1989 American Standard E Series with a roller nut
    • 2005 Fender American Deluxe Ash

2. softmonkey

softmonkey Strat-Talker

2005 Fender American Deluxe Ash

3. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

Hi Vicious and welcome

Don't mean to sound negative, far from it. However think it's worth mentioning that you can't really go by other people's prefered choice as only you can decide if you like the sound, neck feel and vibe of those guitars. Yes it does make life harder when buying used but if you can try them then you'll know you've bought wisely and got the guitar that suits you best.

Hope this helps

4. busby

busby Strat-Talk Member

I agree.

5. vicious7

Yeah, thanks StratmanNick. I know the sound and trying it out is important. I just wanted a baseline on "typical" quality of these choices. I know I'm going used, but it is still a lot of money for a guitar, especially a first one.

6. vicious7

Okay, so I went with the 89 Standard with the roller nut. For a nearly 20 y/o guitar, the tone is amazing. I have to get it professionally set up and knobs replaced (one is a little mashed up), but I am very happy. I'll stick with the current p/u's to get a baseline before I start toying with different p/u's like a 69 Fender custom.

Attached Files:

7. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

Congratulations Vicious, that looks a fine guitar. Yeah, give it a while before you decide to change anything. You may find that you settle with it as it is.

Good luck

8. vicious7

Thanks...I am completely stoked. One thing I've notice, though, is the E string hovers just over the edge, so I think I'll have it professionally set up. Hopefully, anything that is off will be set to normal. I can't wait to plug in for some serious play time :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.