First time new FG 820-12 outside

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by jaybones, May 25, 2019.

1. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

I'm at a weekend retreat and will be playing one of either my solid wood acoustics bx the campfire tonight.

First is my ~94 Gibson-Epiphone PRS-ERS solid bird's eye maple TB&S.

Bird's eye maple is structurally stronger than the Sitka solid top my FG 12 has.

Going to be extra careful with it, but I'm still a tiny bit apprehensive about it.

2. sgarnett

sgarnett Senior Stratmaster

I don’t know what a Gibson Epiphone PRS is, but the two main things to worry about outside are heat and DEET.

Sweat and DEET won’t hurt a modern finish, but nitro is susceptible to both. A bit of Gibson guitar polish before (or any with a bit of wax) will help some. A light long sleeve shirt will help too. But the big thing is, just be sure to wipe it down after you play. Modern UV-cured or polyester finishes are mostly impervious.

The other big thing is not leaving it baking in the sun. If there’s no shade, at least drape a light colored towel over the case when not playing. Don’t leave it baking in the trunk in the sun. If you have to leave it in the car, cover it with a blanket, and open the windows.

That said, my father played at festivals all the time with nitro-finished guitars. One was a beautiful custom Martin D35. Another was a battered (when he got it) and somewhat delicate old 00-18. Neither suffered any harm from being outside. I still have them.

The 00-18 will sometime haze a bit when played, but its finish was already in rough shape. It will mostly clear up by the next day, and a light wipe with a soft cloth will leave it good as ... vintage.

Last edited: May 25, 2019