first try at own setup

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by emann, Jan 21, 2020.

1. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Violeiro likes this.
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Are you sure the buzzing is coming from fret rattle or is something else causing it? Is it buzzing across the whole neck or on specific frets? If one string is buzzing and the rest are fine, check the string and nut slot. Remember frets 1-16 are affected by the trussrod (relief) 17 and above will be affected by the bridge height.

3. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

what is fret rattle exactly please? not sure about this. I can note now that it is mainly buzzing on all frets so that is why I am adjusting again relief and saddles but to what level I am going to continue doing this if the action is coming quite high now? maybe I need to look at something else.

4. Violeiro

Violeiro Strat-Talker Silver Member

If it is in all frets, check the nut... I bet it was cut too deep.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Biddlin likes this.
  5. emann

ok...i think i sorted it out...I started again checking truss rod and saddle height and it seems that the buzzing is no longer there.
    I did not touch the nut for now as all strings before this set never showed any buzzing on this string so I presume this is not the problem. May be it was also due to some temperature change as this week after the string replacement there was quite a drastic low temperature change and hence some settings could have been effected.

let's see how it goes and thanks to all for the input.

6. emann

Hello,

continuing on this thread again seeking some other assistance. So after doing a couple of changes on the same size of strings and setups, I now replaced the 9-42 with a set of hybrid 9-46 gauge strings as this was the final aim but before wanted some experience on setting the strat up with the same gauge of strings.

I followed the frudua video on setting up the tremolo and all went fine however I am not sure that the final position I achieved is the actual way the tremolo should be. Please have a look at this picture.

Can you advise if this is ok? if not what I have done wrong and how best to fix it? Is there a proper measurement or way of how the tremolo should be in relation to the top of the guitar as I believe mine like it is, is set at quite a high angle.

Also, I have done only the tremolo for now and then I will proceed with truss rod, action height, etc - is this the correct flow?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Attached Files:

7. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Rear of the bridge plate should be 1/8" above the body.

Put a 1/8" shim under the rear of the bridge and tighten the springs until it holds it.
    Retune, set the string height, and intonation, retune, etc....

Loosen the springs until the shim just slips out.

If your intonation and height are close, it's 5 minutes.

8. emann

Thanks to reply CB91710 - I am just noting now that on the front of the bridge where it has only two bolts, the bridge is somewhat elevated from the body of the guitar while mine is completely flat on the guitar.

Can you advise if I should also set the bridge in this way and so should I loosen the two screws to get it a bit higher off the body of the guitar from the front please?

thanks.

9. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

That may be why the rear is so elevated.
    Normally, the 6-screw bridge is on the body at the front and slightly angled, but the 2-pivot bridge is typically level, maybe a slight angle.

10. MGS1968

MGS1968 New Member!

This is a great thread. I just did my first ever basic setup, and took note of some suggestions in here. Getting the floating tremolo where it needed to be was tricky, and lengthy, but I ended up settling at approx 3 half steps when the tremolo was full flush with the body.

CB91710 likes this.
  11. emann

@MGS1968 great to hear you found this of help...how is it getting on..satisfied of your own setup?