Join Strat-Talk Today

Fixing dead spots

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Cerb, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah, I'd probably call it tired rather than dead :) it's only noticeable because all the other ones are audible for 6-7 seconds.

johnnymg likes this.
  2. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

It sounds like you've done your homework if specifically Fs are the problem. Is F a problem on all strings? Is F still a problem if you tune up/down one or two half-steps? If you find a tension where it's fixed you can probably get close in standard tuning, by adjusting string gauge. My experience is that I like Gibsons better with 1 gauge heavier strings than I play on Strat/Tele. What strings are you using, and what are you used to on Strats?

Does it make any difference if you clamp a weight onto the headstock? Maybe even a real small weight--like a capo--could make a difference.

You mentioned it's mostly the G and B strings, is the intonation right on the G and B strings? What about F notes on the other strings?

4-6 seconds of being able to hear the string ring sounds like very short sustain to me, but I guess that depends how you're counting. On most of my guitars I can hit a note and it will ring until I get bored, average is probably about 18 seconds from hitting the note until I can't hear it anymore, unplugged in a quiet room. If you're measuring the same way I do, you must have some foam jammed under the strings or something bad wrong about the setup.

Gibson style tailpieces are adjustable and you can choose to top-wrap or not, so you can adjust the bridge break angle considerably. More break angle gives you more sustain and more body resonance, but makes the strings feel stiffer. This might be another thing to play with just to see--it's cheaper than strings! Make sure the strings aren't loose on the saddle (break angle too low) or touching the back of the bridge (break angle too high). But that should affect a change across the whole guitar, not just the F notes, so IDK if it will be helpful for you.

A different tailpiece--or even an adjustment to the tailpiece--could make a difference in resonant frequencies, maybe try clamping a weight to the tailpiece just to see if it makes any difference.

Cerb likes this.
  3. Cerb

Thanks!

Yes, F's are the problem, on the G string 10th fret and D string 15th fret, less so on e string 1st fret and b string 6th fret.

If I detune hlf a step the issue moves one fret up, still F. I'm now trying a lighter set (same as strat) on the SG but the difference is not huge, only the three lighter strings differ.

If I clamp a weight onnthe hedstock it goes away and the F's sustain like you'd expect them to. I need more weight than a capo, I contemplated changing to locking tuners to add more weight but those would only add an additional 25 grams. To check what that would do I attached 25 grams of coins to the headstock but that did nothing. The clamp that did make a difference is probably closer to 200 grams.

There is no tailpiece, it has a 1961 style wraparound bridge so there's not a lot I cab do with that.

Next step is to try a heavier set of strings.

Intonation is spot on on the G and b strings. No foam under there :)

dirocyn likes this.
  4. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Ooooh, this sucks :(. Once you hone in on something like this it will drive you crazy.

Is it something that you notice when you are playing plugged in?

Get some of the old robo tuners and install them...that should add enough weight to the headstock :D.

Cerb likes this.
  5. Cerb

Double post.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  6. Cerb

Naahh, it's not too bad ;)

Yes, just as noticeable when plugged in.

Robo tuners... Funny guy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.