Flakey buyers!!! Grrrrrr.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Justin226, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

Had a deal in place to sell my 70’s Strat. Lined up a deal to buy another guitar that I liked.

Wrote an exact description of my guitar. Buyer shows up, looks, and goes “oh, I thought it was American made. I’m going to pass.”

I could’ve choked him! What a waste of time. I turned down other potential buyers, just for him to flake.

Jesse414, mjea80, Kester and 8 others like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Did your description say it was made in mexico? what a tool....

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Wouln’t have mattered if it hadn’t. If it was that important the bloke should have asked the question before wasting the seller’s time.

Dibbs, 3bolt79, Chuck8436 and 4 others like this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I've had at least a dozen or more "suspects" email me off a CL ad asking where a guitar or bass was made even when the listing clearly indicated the model and it's origin.

On top of that does someone really believe a listing for an MIM Fender as thoroughly described as I always do would sell for $500 if it was a US model that sells for twice that?

It should come as no shock that we are a nation stocked to rafters with willfully ignorant people and at least some of them play guitar or bass and shop for them on CL.

Hawk3y3, StummerJoe, 3bolt79 and 5 others like this.
  5. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

didn’t say, but listed the EXACT MODEL NAME!!! Also, nobody is selling an American reissue series Strat for $500.

JJ119, 3bolt79, Altoid18 and 2 others like this.
  6. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

Spot on.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. bobalu

bobalu Strat-Talker Silver Member

Yeah, I have a guitar listed and the last thing I added at the bottom of my ad was "No Trades Please".

Yesterday I get a response saying "I know you said no trades, but cash is short right now and I have a ......." and he forwards me 5 separate pics of his old shredder guitar. Jeez Louweez. Either they don't read, can't read or just don't care. :rolleyes: I have to say, this is why I'll often take a hit on the trade-in price at a store just so I don't have to deal with the hassle of these people.

Doug B, Jesse414, RHL87 and 5 others like this.
  8. Guitarmageddon

I always specifically say everything, where it's made, and I confirm with people over the phone or in messages that they have read and understand before coming.....but I'm kind of anal lol

Fender Classic Series 70s would not be clear to probably 50% or more of buyers that it's not Made in USA.....

Remember, you have to assume everyone reading is SLOW lol :p

9. soulman969

And I can ad that I have yet to see any CL listing for a US made Fender that didn't indicate that it was American or US made.

99.9% of all sellers realize the difference in resale value between a US built and Import built model but seemingly some buyers don't.

10. mjea80

mjea80 Lost In The Light Silver Member

Tire kickers can be very annoying.

If I could make a suggestion. Do not ‘hold’ the guitar for anybody.

First person to show up with cash in hand takes it.

If they’re from town and are that interested, they’ll be there that day.

If they’re from out of town kindly tell them to give you a shout first to see if its still available.

11. longboard blues

longboard blues Senior Stratmaster

R/choosingbeggars is full of this behaviour....

12. JamesE

JamesE Strat-O-Master

Selling in small ads/classifieds/etc has many problems. Worst of all is when you're selling a house, and nosey parkers just come round to look at your furniture. Some people just have nothing better to do!

3bolt79 and mjea80 like this.
  13. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

Selling a Strat on CL, where it is made is the number one question I get asked if I did not note that in the ad.

JJ119, 3bolt79, Justin226 and 2 others like this.
  14. soulman969

Your point is well taken and I would hate to lose a legit sale but my patience with those who can't even define what they want to buy before shopping have warn it thin.

Like the "suspect" who wants to use a GC FSR ash body Tele as a comparative to a Baja Tele that would sell for at least $150-$200 more. Do some homework people. :mad:

JJ119, 3bolt79 and Justin226 like this.
  15. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

This is annoying, for sure...but that’s somebody just shooting their shot. At least you can ignore.

this guy...!!!!...I turned down other offers and shaped my day around meeting up with him.

RadioFM74, JJ119 and Chuck8436 like this.
  16. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

Yea, I realized this afterward. Tbh, it was out of laziness that I didn’t add itZ was tired when I made the ad and thought I’d covered everything. Anyway, the fact that this matters to him in general shows his ignorance. All the electronics are premo and the same as you would find in an MIA. It’s also a tank. Great wood. And with the ****ty relic job you can even see the beautiful grain of the premium tonewood. If the previous owner hadn’t hacked away at the finish, $700 would be a completely fair asking price. $500 is a steal. Probably would’ve even taken $450 at that point.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  17. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

“Showing his ignorance” actually reminds me of a great sopranos scene.

AJ is talking to Tony and goes “you’re revealing your ignorance” and Tony goes “my wha? I’m revealing my what?” The way only Tony Soprano could.

soulman969 and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. Guitarmageddon

Some people think everything Fender that isn't made in the USA to be total junk.....if you gave it to them for free they'd burn it lol because that's how important this is to some of them.....

19. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

I generally go by this principle, but this guy was the first to make an offer, and the offer was very good.

RadioFM74, JJ119 and mjea80 like this.
  20. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

I realized a long time ago that the difference between MIM and MIA can be very slight in many instances. This one especially...with the ash body and all.

soulman969 likes this.