Flakey buyers!!! Grrrrrr.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Justin226, Nov 21, 2020.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Which goes to my point about not even wanting to deal with some people.

Either they've read something or been told something that leads them to believe this or they just have a stubborn I always buy "Amurican" streak.

In any event as the black lady said "Ain't nobody got time for that". I simply don't want to deal with that mentality when there are others out there who don't have that prejudice.

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. soulman969

Another indication of either a lowballer or a limited or non-player.

Another factor with Squiers is too many for sale. People bought them to learn on, got frustrated and gave up, and now simply want to get something back out of them, so they sell cheap. It's great if you're a savvy buyer but bad if you're a savvy seller.

For a very long time dollar for dollar MIC Squier CVs were kicking base level MIMs square in the nuts as far as quality goes. IMHO that's what's forced Fender to up their game and price a bit on the base model MIM Players Series, price those few remaining MIC Squier CV models at $450-$500, and fall back to the former Indonesian VMs as their re-badged Classic Vibes.

CB91710 and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. soulman969

True, but in this case there were no negotiations. The buyer simply rejected the item for sale based on it's origin.

Justin226 and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

Totally agree with this.

JJ119, mjea80 and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I would buy it if only it had the paint. I love a U neck. I will look at your ad again. Not that I need another guitar.;)

JJ119 and mjea80 like this.
  6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I used to buy only American Guitars. But that was 20 odd years ago, when I was a young practitioner at the local hospital, and was making bank. Fender and even most Gibsons weren’t good enough. If it was coming home with me it had to say Suhr, Anderson, or Collings on the headstock. But now that I am poor, and China and Indonesia are making better efforts and the quality Control is so much better, I find myself buying all sorts of brands.

Like Jackson’s pro series and the upper level Kramer’s, of which some come with an Original Floyd Rose and Seymour Duncan’s in them. I bought 2 Kramer’s equipped like this and paid $529 each for them on closeout. I have 3 American guitars, a Fender American Special, a Guild S300D, and my Brian May Replica was actually built in Tennessee.

I have a Japanese Fender HM Strat and my luthier hand built classical was made by a Japanese luthier in Japan.

My newest Epiphone LP is made in China.

My Jackson and three of my Kramer’s are all made in Indonesia.

I have one Kramer that really wasn’t made that well, and that one was made in India.

I have a Mexican Vintera Strat as well.

Only two of my guitars would be considered expensive.... the Brian May, and my classical. All of my other guitars were less than $1000, except for the MIJ HM Strat.

As far as fit and finish and tight tolerances, I would have to say that my Jackson Pro Hardtail and my Fender HM Strat are the best built out of all my guitars. The only American guitar that even comes close to these as far as fit and finish and overall excellent craftsmanship is the Brian May, but it should as it cost 5 times the price of the white one. 0B11C7F8-0701-4AD2-8F12-A3C2752B3DB2.jpeg F67272F0-5CCA-4E0E-9F5D-9739A3607DF0.jpeg

JJ119 and mjea80 like this.
  7. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

I think I posted this on another thread but it seems fitting to recount it again.
    I will always fill my ads with as much detail as I possibly can.
    I listed a midi controller on eBay for not much money. It was just in my way since buying an 88 key.
    But I couldn't be bothered to post it so I said, three times in the ad "Local Pick Up ONLY"
    The first buyer bought it, paid for it via PayPal then asked me to post it to him in Essex. I cancelled the order and relisted it.
    It sold again almost immediately and I emailed the buyer and asked when he might want to collect, to which he replied "Oh, I'm in Bulgaria". FFS!
    I gave it away to our cleaner! :rolleyes:

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Aw, come on man, you'll take £50 for it won't you? I've come all the way from Barnsley.

[​IMG]

JJ119, Hairy Bear, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  9. Silverman

Silverman Strat-Talker

A
    At least you didn't get flooded with potential scammers. every time I tried to sell a guitar on CL a few years back, I would get the same texts about, "let me send you a check and then I'll pick it up in person" in scammer-broken English. I sent multiple texts back to at least 10 people running the same came sayin "I'd prefer not to be scammed today"

Or Ebay scammers trying to get me to click on a shady link for What's app messaging. Some of these scammers are incredulously entitled and start making threats once you call them out.

10. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

These people exist in large numbers...you cant get away from it...what you CAN do though is making seem like you are doing THEM a favor with the trade...not the opposite....dont write stuff like "iam selling this at that price cause i wanna catch this deal" even if you do....If they smell desperation they pounce,people are still gonna waste your time but at least always convey that you have options and most of them wont even bother.

11. soulman969

I really have no problem with those who only want a US built Fender. It's when they want me to buy into their game that my price is to high because it's NOT a US model that gets me.

We both know what mine is worth and that a US model will sell for 50%-100% more. It's when the "belittlement game" begins like they don't think I know what an MIM is worth vs a US model that wastes both of our time. So I won't deal with it any longer. If they want US buy US. Just don't expect a discount on the MIM simply because it's not US when it's fairly priced.

And it's typically only Fenders where this happens. Not other imports. For instance anyone who shops G&L knows that a US built model of a Tribute that sells for $600 will run around $1000 more brand new and anywhere from $400-$800 more used depending on the model, finish, condition, etc.

JJ119 and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    What amazes me about the whole transaction is that someone was willing to pay $500 for it in that condition.

hexnut and 3bolt79 like this.
  13. runningonempty

runningonempty Strat-Talk Member

i looked up your ad. i would put where it’s made because buyers are stupid. i’d also put what year it is.

i’m always overly descriptive in ads it’s better to have all the information laid out there than have your time wasted by some idiot (as you had happen).

i never hold stuff for anyone. first one in my drive handing me cash takes it.

in the end it’s your ad and your guitar i’m just giving my .02

mjea80 likes this.
  14. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

Yea, the one I posted here was less descriptive than the one on Facebook and Craigslist. Because you guys know things! In the other ads I listed the year...just forgot to list the origin.

runningonempty likes this.
  15. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

Just have to think about it as I did when I bought it. The finish being stripped didn’t affect the sound so it didn’t bother me. If you’re going to keep the guitar, as I originally intended to, the aesthetic actually does you a favor...gets you a nice discount!

the ones listed on reverb go for 650-800. If I sold for 500, the buyer would be getting a 150-300 discount because of the aesthetic. That’s the way I look at it.

I actually sold today for 410. It’s not 500 but I thought it was fair and the guy was really nice.

CB91710 likes this.
  16. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

If they honestly though it was a CBS model, $500 would not be a bad deal for it.
    Strip the poly and refin in natural if there's no Bondo under the poly.
    What we can see is a beautiful piece of ash.

17. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

Hey @Justin226 - I'm not sure how many different ways/places you've got it listed, but the actual CL website version of your ad doesn't show the year:
    Screenshot_20201122-181738.png

18. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

Interesting! I was quite sure I put the year, I guess I’m losing it.

however, the flakey buyer saw my Facebook ad, which definitely had the ad...I double checked.

interesting that you found the ad though!

19. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

I understand how that happens! And you posted the screenshot of the TP offer (lol) so finding your ad was easy.;)

Justin226 and CB91710 like this.