Floating Bridge...

Rounder44

Strat-Talker
Mar 1, 2018
TUCSON, AZ
Hi,

New AV style Wildwood Strat. Came with decked bridge but I think I'd like to float it. Fender specs say 1/8" which seems like a lot but adjusting with springs almost compressed it does raise but a couple .001"

The pivot screws are not binding it. It moves freely...

It has 3 Fender springs...

Should it be adjusting more? There's no way I'm getting close to 1/8" Not that I want it 1/8" maybe 1/16" to start. I just want to see about any tone changes so want it clearly floating.

Thanks,

R44

mediumjohn

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 4, 2012
Jonesboro , Ga
Easiest way to float it , take a Popsicle , your favorite flavor , eat it and save the stick . Tighten the springs . Push down on the bar and slide the stick between the body and the tail piece . This would be a good time to change the strings and make all set up adjustments to the guitar . After it's set up to spec , hold the head stock straight up with the body down , vertical . Loosen the springs evenly and slowly . When the stick falls out you're done . This will work on all Fender whammys unless you've got some really big ass strings on it and if that's the case add a spring or two , it will still work . You're on your own if you've got a FR tail piece .

axejock

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 26, 2018
Washington State
I've found that no matter what I do, the bridges just won't float! When I put them in water, they sink like a rock! Sorry, just couldn't resist!

Andrew Wasson

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 6, 2018
Vancouver, Canada
What kind of pickup is that?!?

That’s a prototype set Vladimir from Deneb Tone pickups (https://www.deneb-tone.com/) gave me when he was working out the recipes for his pickups. He had a build thread on the TDPRI site a few years ago that discussed them.

They’re neodymium rail pickups. Each rail has a slightly different shape to it depending on neck, middle, bridge positions. They’re a fairly “big” sounding pickup. They’re not in the guitar right now but I’m planning on doing a black covers, knobs, pickguard on black body build so they’ll go back in soon.

Nate D

Most Honored Senior Member
Apr 2, 2016
Philly, PA
That’s a prototype set Vladimir from Deneb Tone pickups (https://www.deneb-tone.com/) gave me when he was working out the recipes for his pickups. He had a build thread on the TDPRI site a few years ago that discussed them.

They’re neodymium rail pickups. Each rail has a slightly different shape to it depending on neck, middle, bridge positions. They’re a fairly “big” sounding pickup. They’re not in the guitar right now but I’m planning on doing a black covers, knobs, pickguard on black body build so they’ll go back in soon.

The clips on the website sound pretty good!

Andrew Wasson

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 6, 2018
Vancouver, Canada
The clips on the website sound pretty good!
Yeah, the pickups really are great but Vlad’s a pretty decent player so he’s got that advantage as well.

Some of the Demo’s are being done on a Ali-Express MIC Strat knockoff he bought and turned into a test mule. Just an absolute bottom of the barrel guitar that he set up decently and installed his pickups in for demoing. That way you know it’s the pickups and not some magic of tonewood that makes them sound so good.

Nate D

Most Honored Senior Member
Apr 2, 2016
Philly, PA
Yeah, the pickups really are great but Vlad’s a pretty decent player so he’s got that advantage as well.

Some of the Demo’s are being done on a Ali-Express MIC Strat knockoff he bought and turned into a test mule. Just an absolute bottom of the barrel guitar that he set up decently and installed his pickups in for demoing. That way you know it’s the pickups and not some magic of tonewood that makes them sound so good.

Very cool!!

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
Easiest way to float it , take a Popsicle , your favorite flavor , eat it and save the stick . Tighten the springs . Push down on the bar and slide the stick between the body and the tail piece . This would be a good time to change the strings and make all set up adjustments to the guitar . After it's set up to spec , hold the head stock straight up with the body down , vertical . Loosen the springs evenly and slowly . When the stick falls out you're done . This will work on all Fender whammys unless you've got some really big ass strings on it and if that's the case add a spring or two , it will still work . You're on your own if you've got a FR tail piece .

We have another guy named John that actually makes guitars out of popsicles @Stratstrummer

Rounder44

Strat-Talker
Mar 1, 2018
TUCSON, AZ

Thanks!

I'll give the a shot!