Floor Pod sounds like crap through my amp. Why?

SIngles Forever

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 14, 2019
Montreal
It could also be that you've grown out of it. I had a Vox modeler that I thought sounded really good and I completely grew out of it. Sold it for beer money.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
I guess we don't hear tones the same way and will agree to disagree

🤷‍♂️
For direct recording I like using my real amps and pedals through a UAOX box. I get the sound of my real amps and real pedals but recording direct. Your tone in that clip wasn’t bad, but it sounded way over processed to me, which is totally subjective, but not my cup of tea.

I bought a line 6 amp once to quell the volume complaints at small gigs. It sounds good enough at the store and in my living room, but onstage it was useless. The sound fell off the front of the stage and landed on the floor before it ever got to the audience. This type of device works by compressing the crap out of the signal going in and expanding it going out killing almost all of the dynamic range. In your direct recording it’s usable but onstage it becomes mush.

mutato

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 10, 2007
RI
Also, check the settings for compression. A lot of the default settings add into it some compression. Go to whatever amp tone, then twiddle that effects knob so the compression is NOT selected and make sure it's turned off. That usually sucks the life out of signals and doesn't work well for amps.

Lonn

Mod Admin
Staff member
Jul 6, 2014
Carmel IN
Some of you apparently missed that the problem was solved earlier in the thread. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd still like to know why some people use that little jumper for the effects loop?

jvin248

Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

Those effects loop Jacks have internal jumpers to connect them when not plugged in, those contacts corrode and an external jumper makes the amp work again. Or deoxit on the contacts.

Some amps may have some sort of mini circuit invoked when nothing is plugged in. Jumper gives cleaner tone.

Get a schematic of your amp and see what's there. Good to have a schematic anyway for any repairs you or your tech might do.

Sarnodude

Sep 26, 2015
Mukilteo
For direct recording I like using my real amps and pedals through a UAOX box. I get the sound of my real amps and real pedals but recording direct. Your tone in that clip wasn’t bad, but it sounded way over processed to me, which is totally subjective, but not my cup of tea.

I bought a line 6 amp once to quell the volume complaints at small gigs. It sounds good enough at the store and in my living room, but onstage it was useless. The sound fell off the front of the stage and landed on the floor before it ever got to the audience. This type of device works by compressing the crap out of the signal going in and expanding it going out killing almost all of the dynamic range. In your direct recording it’s usable but onstage it becomes mush.
Which is exactly the experience I had with my old Digitech RP-6. At home all by myself, it sounded epic, but useless in a band context.

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec

Those effects loop Jacks have internal jumpers to connect them when not plugged in, those contacts corrode and an external jumper makes the amp work again. Or deoxit on the contacts.

Some amps may have some sort of mini circuit invoked when nothing is plugged in. Jumper gives cleaner tone.

Get a schematic of your amp and see what's there. Good to have a schematic anyway for any repairs you or your tech might do.

Exactly that ^^^^^

The question is: on your amp, is there a circuit between your pre-amp and your power amp and would patching the FX loop bypass that circuit ? As jvin248 mentioned, this could be confirmed by looking at your amp schematic.