Flying Overseas with multiple instruments I think I found a solution

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by diverse379, Oct 28, 2020.

1. diverse379

diverse379 Strat-O-Master

I, looking to make a trip and I have guitars bass and keyboard to take, but my worries are damage from baggage and handlers and theft at the carousel

so I thought maybe I will take the bass and guitar apart separate the neck and body and put the neck in a suit case bubble wrapped good and place the bodies in another case inside all the clothes
    Or some combination of neck and bodies in cases
    The keyboard is an mx49 and Roland go piano super small light the case may qualify for carry on or as instrument I’m. Not sure, but with the light weight and bubble wrap I’m thinking they may be safe in a case especially if it’s a hard case.

I’m going to bring my most inexpensive bass and my Baja tele cool player but I won’t sell to pieces if it gets damaged. The necks are my biggest concern as the bodies can withstand a bump or two

any thoughts?
    I plan on being away for some time and instruments where I am going are expensive to purchase

2. JamieHenry

JamieHenry Strat-Talker

Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. Just make sure any wrapping is easily removed and replaced. The X-rays might look a little weird, and a hand search might be made.

3. diverse379

diverse379 Strat-O-Master

Good idea jut wrap no tape thanks

4. Ted J

Ted J Strat-Talker

When we relocated to Turkey 6 years ago, I brought my Strat in a hard case , we also rolled up a big picture which when fitted inside a cardboard artist's tube fitted snugly inside the case (after wrapping the Strat in a big towel with wax paper over the strings to stop the towel leavng a fluff coating on them )
    Also we wanted to bring a 3 part fold out dressing table mirror our daughter had bought us , so that went inside it's polystyrene case and was wrapped tightly to the guitar case with cling film

I had also made labels for the front and back in English and Turkish saying "Fragile, glass"
    It all came out OK at the other end apart from a small deep gash in the case .....in the UK the airports have a "fragile" desk where you take fragile luggage which goes in the hold seperate from normal luggage

5. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

In the US, that's the place the throwers go to take out their frustrations.

Mansonienne and Ted J like this.
  6. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-Talker

Fenders are easy.. Unscrew the neck.

7. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-Talker

9B1D236B-6384-466F-8A87-B130DEAC8042.png
    just use one of these...