Focusrite customer service

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Mr. Lumbergh, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Long story short, my Scarlett 4i4 that I'd had only about 9 months decided to crap the mattress about two weeks ago. It wasn't recognized as a drive or audio device as it previously had been on the desktop, and when I tried plugging into the MBP the indicator lights on the front would flash briefly and then go dark without it ever being recognized.
    I filed a warranty claim on their web page and they requested some basic system report info and a copy of the receipt. No problem, got it all to them via email conversation with their service department. It took a bit longer than I'd hoped but yesterday I got the email with the RMA exchange authorization and got it sent out with a FedEx prepaid label.
    I'm curious how many others have had to do this on theirs and what the timeframe was to get the replacement. I understand it's the holiday season and things are slower due to the volume. I'm overall pretty impressed with how this is being handled, but was really hoping to get some recording done during these long weekends and haven't been able to use my monitors which has made some of the composition stuff more of a PITA. Was this a reasonably quick process or were you down for a long stretch?

2. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-Talker

I use a Universal Audio Arrow, but Focusrite is a very popular brand, used by millions. first time I’ve heard of one crapping the bed like this, but it could happen.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

There are certain models that seem prone to this based on what I've seen online when I was trying to troubleshoot. The 18i20 in particular, and unfortunately, the 4i4.
    I was just trying to get some hope that this would be resolved quickly, I have a few things stirring around on the electronic side of things and some recording I really wanted to do to form the start of an online lockdown collab I've been pondering since summer.

SoulSurfer likes this.
  4. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

When my Saffire Pro 26 went belly up, it took about a month to sort. It was out of warranty, but they swapped out the main board when they had one available. I had two Focusrite interfaces prior to this and never had one facial (WHAT!? :eek: I wrote 'fail'! I've never had one fail) before.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I've heard of a few software problems with those models, but not of one turning it's toes up. I hope they sort it quickly for you.

simoncroft and s5tuart like this.
  6. Scooter

Scooter Strat-Talk Member

My 2i2 crapped out about a month ago. It's out of warranty but it's just over 3 years old. They offered a replacement for nearly $100. The cost of repair would cost nearly as much as that or more.

I decided to go with another brand this time. Having mine crap out after 3 years with only moderate use left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Namelyguitar likes this.
  7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

I’ve been fortunate with mine , has been rock solid.
    I suppose at around 100 bucks for great sound, I guess I’d consider it replaceable enough to almost be disposable. I’ve got the 2i2 too, but I could easily get away with one channel.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Well, some good news finally. I got an email from American Music this morning, who does their warranty service here in the States. The replacement is expected to be here Monday, FedEx. :thumb:
    The process took about a month, but I can't help but think that the holidays had a lot to do with that.

9. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Replaced with a new unit?

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Yes, at least that's what the email implies. The proof will be in the box on Monday.
    I cannot wait to get this back, it's put a big hitch in some guit things I want to do and my electronic stuff.

Thrup'ny Bit and Tone Deaf like this.
  11. Tone Deaf

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Kudos to Focusrite. I just took delivery of the replacement interface, and it appears to be a brand-new unopened unit:
    IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG
    Just got 'er hooked up and I feel bad for my work because I don't think I'll be able to concentrate much on that for the rest of the day.

It'll be glorious to be able to use my monitors again...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  13. Tone Deaf

Renews my faith.
    I may yet buy a Focusrite.
    Thanks

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  14. Mr. Lumbergh

Oh Good Lord I forgot how much I was missing this thing... I haven't been able to play keys in nearly a month.
    I picked up few new plugins when the holiday sales were going on that I haven't bothered to install yet, I'll need to give those a go.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.