Fool in the Rain

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by didger, Feb 22, 2021 at 8:26 PM.

1. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

This one was a super fun challenge to sing and play at the same time! The guitar is a James Tyler Variax JTV-59P, which has taken a lot of attention away from my Strats since I got it last March.

2. Martin Mim

Martin Mim Strat-O-Master

Great job! Not an easy song to cover.
    Which effects do you use on that guitar solo, @didger ?

3bolt79, Stonetone and didger like this.
  3. didger

Thanks! I'm using a Helix, but in this case not using amp modeling, but my Voc AC4HW1 and Fender Princeton Reverb 65RI. Effects chain is octaver, tube screamer, phaser, slapback. Then I might have added just a touch of studio reverb in the DAW.

3bolt79 and Martin Mim like this.
  4. floydrose

floydrose Senior Stratmaster

Good stuff guys.

Martin Mim, didger and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Wow That was Superb !!
    Certainly not an easy one, Kudos to your Drummer as well nailed the part :thumb:

thanks for Sharing that

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 5:49 AM
    Martin Mim, didger, Baelzebub and 2 others like this.
  6. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

Nice. Looks like you were having fun and the music was excellent.

7. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

‘That was great.

Martin Mim, didger and Baelzebub like this.
  8. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

That's awesome! I was impressed with the JTV when I played it a while back at GC. And the drummer did really well! That's a tough one to play! Yall did great!

didger and Baelzebub like this.
  9. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

Brilliant playing as always. Everyone sounded great.

I’m pining for your Variax. I had the James Tyler JTV69 but sold it a few years ago. It’s the only guitar of many I sold that I regret selling. I may need to find another.

didger and Baelzebub like this.
  10. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member

Awesome job.

didger likes this.
  11. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

Masterful :cool:

didger likes this.
  12. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member

Simply fabulous Didger... I'm jealous of your pipes and the quality of your recordings. Always so much fun to listen to your band.

didger likes this.
  13. AncientAx

AncientAx Still hacking ....

Really nice cover !

didger likes this.
  14. didger

Thanks! I've got a JTV-69S that has become my main gigging instrument, mostly using its analog Strat-ness, but using Variax models on like 15% of the songs. Then I use an acoustic or this JTV-59P on some songs for its magnetic pickups and general Les Paul-ness. I tell you, though, apart from the ability to emulate a 12-string or whatever, the Variaxes also come in handy for places with bad electricity. At one venue we play regularly, I get really bad noise on high gain sounds with the magnetic pickups. I just switch over to the Variax model version of the same pickups and voila, zero noise.

Some people don't like the JTV-69's chunky neck. I don't know if that has anything to do with you selling it. It is a standard Strat neck pocket, so you can swap necks. The holes don't all match, so you just have to drill at least one hole to make it work. If you put a familiar Strat neck on, the guitar would feel pretty much like home.

Mouse likes this.
  15. didger

Donṯ be jealous, just practice! Just a few years ago, I didn't think I'd be a lead singer in a band. I hadn't been since high school. But now in my mid-40s, I'm still not the best singer on the planet, but I'm better than ever! I wish I was this good when I was young and still viable in the music industry. :p

StratMike10 likes this.
  16. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Nice work.

From one of my favorite LZ albums. Man, has it been over 40 years?

didger likes this.
  17. didger

Thanks guys! I'm going to pass that on to Alex, the drummer. He's our normal full time drummer and loves this song, but isn't a huge Zeppelin fan, so we've used other guys when we've done Zeppelin tribute shows. The bassist, keyboardist and I have played this song with two other drummers, but Alex grooves it best!

I highly recommend them! I got the Strat-like JTV-69S first, then got a Les Paul-like JTV-59 next, specifically to do Led Zeppelin shows. And then I found out they briefly made the 59P, exactly the same but with P90s, and I had to have one! So that's this black one. They've become my main gigging guitars. There's nothing better for a cover band that covers a lot of territory.

Boognish and Stonetone like this.
  18. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

I never gigged mine. I used it mainly for the little recordings I do. The best feature for me was the digital tuning. It was great to be able to tune down to C# for example with a flick of the dial and retain the same string tension. The models were pretty good too although many of them were very similar.

I didn't mind the neck at all. I sold it along with a slew of other equipment simply because I was downsizing. Unfortunately I erroneously assumed I wouldn't miss it. I was wrong!

19. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Wow! That was brilliant on all fronts!
    Great performance all round.
    So well recorded and produced too.
    Bravo les gars! :cool:

didger likes this.
  20. didger

Gotcha. I'm the opposite with it. I would always record a Strat instead of the 69S, a real 12-string instead of a model, etc. The 59 & 59P however are my only Les Paul-like guitars, so they definitely get recorded. The Variaxes are mostly about gigging convenience for me, replacing way too many guitars I used to drag out to 3-hour bar gigs. I had an Eb-tuned Strat, an E Strat, an electric 12-string, a baritone, a Steinberger, sometimes a DADGAD-tuned Tele, sometimes both a 6 and 12-string acoustic.

And yeah, tuning at the flip of a switch is amazing, hence replacing my baritone and DADGAD, and two different tuned Strats. Where it gets even better is integration with the Helix so you can have tunings and models stored along with your effect presets to change all together with a tap of your foot. Or even automated via MIDI for elaborate shows. I've posted it before, but check out this if you haven't. Variax & Helix together is amazing.