For All The "GET BACK" Beatles Fans....

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by PCollen, Jan 13, 2022 at 12:44 PM.

1. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

2. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Great piece on “Yoko One.”

Utter garbage, actually. “Cult of the homosexual”?

fos1, Guitarmageddon and guitarface like this.
  3. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

Not a Yoko fan, I think she manipulated John.

fos1 likes this.
  4. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

I'll probably never see it(I'm cheap)
    But mentioning her ...
    Ummmmm....
    Yoko Ono
    Is proof of the line
    "Love is blind"
    I never got it or her
    Ummmmmm........

Maybe Andy Warhol did...

Stratafied and fos1 like this.
  5. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

haha..i'm def not a Yoko fan, but I could never tell someone who to love. I do believe he really loved her and she probably did inspire him.

that said, i still can't stand her...and it's ok that i feel that way..it doesn't make me a bad person.

A friend of mine once described John Lennon as the ultimate underachiever, obviously not talking about his music :D

fos1 likes this.
  6. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

That article was hot garbage.

7. yettoblaster

yettoblaster Strat-Talker

Well that explains EVERYTHING! Especially the author’s view of history, and post WWII popular culture, world wide!

cranky and Guitarmageddon like this.
  8. cranky

Step one: call your blog a “zine”.

Step two: post a bunch of uninformed drivel.

It was originally called “CreedThoughts”. It’s not as funny as it used to be.

Guithartic and Guitarmageddon like this.
  9. bsman

bsman Senior Stratmaster

Read the first section and no more. Poorly-written, unintelligible garbage with a nasty, regressive message. No thank you...

10. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

I think the statute of limitations on Yoko-bashing was reached long ago. I have no idea what happened between her and John and the Beatles in 1969. None of us do. It's all heresay. All I know is I have a heckuva lot of respect for John Lennon, and she's the one he chose. So everyone should just let her be. She did not deserve to lose him so early. She has conducted herself with dignity this whole time. Most of us have watched the new Get Back documentary. Yes, she was ever-present. But she kept quiet and did not interfere. John evidently wanted her there, and who are we to second-guess?

Mr_Lahey, JP68, Guithartic and 8 others like this.
  11. yettoblaster

yettoblaster Strat-Talker

12. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack Silver Member

I came out of the documentary with the belief that Yoko was never the problem.

Burnout was the problem. Lack of direction and focus was the problem. Drugs were part of the problem. The weight of being "THE BEATLES" was part of the problem. Growing up was part of the problem.

Their entire catalog was recorded between 1962 and 1970. How many albums do even the most prolific artists put out now in that span of time? Two? Three if they're crazy? Three weeks later they went to work on Abbey Road.

Mr_Lahey, JP68, WelhavenT and 8 others like this.
  13. cranky

Well put.

But don’t forget Paul’s controlling personality. John’s was strong enough to counteract, but George clearly had had enough and Ringo’s services as beat-holder and comic relief were under appreciated.

Mr_Lahey, Blue Beagle and fos1 like this.
  14. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack Silver Member

I felt bad for Paul. While he came across as controlling, he was also the only member of the band who was trying to get them focused on a goal. No one was stepping into Brian Epstein's shoes, but Paul was trying. And the others resented him for it.

As for George, he was not fully present in Episode 1. He had a complicated domestic situation going on at home with Patti and some unwanted relatives staying in the house. He had reason to be unfocused. Paul and John get the blame for it, but the dude had his crankypants on from the get-go.

Mr_Lahey, fos1 and jwj1701 like this.
  15. cranky

Paul was being such a dick about India. He had no time for George’s spiritual needs and meanderings.

I grew up around people like Paul. I do not feel bad for him.

16. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

I completely agree, Willie. Sounded to me like he was still irritated by the recording sessions during the White Album, as well. I had read that part of the reasoning to bring Clapton into the While My Guitar Gently Weeps recordings, was that they band was having similar issues at that time. The existence of Clapton pulled the sessions together, much like having Billy Preston as part of the sessions did.

MT Poteet and fos1 like this.
  17. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

Agree. Burnout was the biggest factor, along with losing Brian Epstein. The Beatles were cranking out over 2 albums a year during there existence, including giving songs away to other artists. No other band comes close to that type of production.

fos1 likes this.
  18. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I don’t know if controlling is the right term, but maybe it is. It didn’t seem anybody was really there to work at all. Somebody has to do/start something. John and Yoko were rarely on time. As the 2 strongest personalities I thought it was clear who wanted to be a beatle. Just 2 cents.

19. cranky

Makes sense. And I think it’s interesting that Paul still wanted to be “a Beatle” going into that session.

jwj1701 and Deathray like this.
  20. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

And John & Paul's casual disrespect of George's abilities as a musician and songwriter at a moment when he was already feeling fragile--prompting him to leave the band for a couple days. Even in January 1969 (in the period of the documentary) Harrison was comparing himself unfavorably to Eric Clapton. By April 1970 Clapton was professing his love for Harrison's wife in song--which could not have helped.

Who broke up the Beatles? Harrison left and came back. John did too--and went so far as to say "I want a divorce." Paul split without a forwarding address and people thought he was dead. Nobody blames Ringo, he was just down for whatever.

I think people blame Yoko because they don't have the balls to blame John, Paul, or George. Because she's a woman, because she's Asian, because she's weird. John loved her, I respect John enough to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Mr_Lahey, JP68, Willie D and 5 others like this.