For All The "GET BACK" Beatles Fans....

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by PCollen, Jan 13, 2022 at 12:44 PM.

1. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Can we get back to what an absolute **** website that was shared by the op and maybe get down to how one even finds such an obscure, worthless little corner of the internet?

Mr_Lahey, circles, Morf2540 and 4 others like this.
  2. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

While I have little tolerance for George's sitar phase, I agree with this overall assessment. Paul had a ton of talent, but not enough respect for George's talent or quieter style.

Mr_Lahey and cranky like this.
  3. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-O-Master

Ringo quit the band and returned during the White Album sessions.

Bill,tgo

dirocyn likes this.
  4. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

Easy enough to find this kind of crap if you hate the Japanese. This article is chock-full of bigotry. It's frankly disgusting.

cranky, yettoblaster and Antstrat like this.
  5. Guithartic

Guithartic Strat-Talk Member

I saw an interview with Lennon once, and he comments on that. He didn’t use the word manipulate but seemed to imply it. He said everyone was upset with Yoko controlling him or influencing him or whatever. Then he said something to the effect that nobody minded when Paul had that role. That made me think.

6. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

Interesting, John it seemed was deeply effected by his mother having his aunt raise him. And then her sad death, some thought Yoko was more the mom John never had. And I believe she played on that, very calculating.

Guithartic likes this.
  7. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Yoko wasn't the problem, neither was Linda or Patti or Ringo's old lady, but oddly nobody ever mentions them. To me, the most obvious problem was George had come into his own as a writer and performer, but he couldn't get any traction in the Beatles. They'd do one or two of his songs at most on an album. And then they just wanted him to play his "parts". For my money, George was by FAR the most successful EX-Beatle - he just had to get out so he could do his thing, unencumbered by Paul and the structure of the band. The Beatles had run their course. It was time.

How many bands stay really good and vital for more than ten years, really? LOTS of bands stayed together, but most of them were only really creatively great for about 10 years and then continued to cash in on that by touring and releasing various compilations. The Stones might have made pretty damn good albums for almost 20 years, but that's the exception. Petty and the Heartbreakers stayed great, but mostly just because of TP's songwriting stayed great, and he needed plenty of breaks from them to maintain his edge. Neil Young and Dylan stayed great, but not with any particular band - they were great free agents. Springsteen's best material pretty much happened from about '74-'84 or '88. Most bands that lasted more than 10 years had come way down from their creative peaks and just continued to make bank as touring bands, but with relatively little good new music. The Beatles were ready to go their own ways and did.

-Ray

dirocyn, JP68, Morf2540 and 3 others like this.
  8. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Man, no kidding.

cranky likes this.
  9. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

You’ve absolutely nailed it on a band having a certain limited period of creative output and that’s it.

I’m sure someone will be along shortly to completely miss the point and tell us how long ZZ Top (insert whoever you want) had been together.

circles, Morf2540 and cranky like this.
  10. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

Mostly agree with you in that George was probably the one most dissatisfied with the Beatles because he came on late in song writing and then couldn’t get his material on the albums without quite a fuss. Not sure I agree that George was the most successful exBeatle, I think that’s debatable.

11. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Nah. It’s better to play the same **** for decades than it is to grow artistically and individually.

yettoblaster and guitarface like this.
  12. Guithartic

Still, he was in love, and I’ve never seen anything to think that she hurt him or mistreated him. She really does seem in love with him in films when they’re together.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 2:08 PM
    Mr_Lahey and Stratafied like this.
  13. Guithartic

Let’s all agree that Pete Best was not.

14. Guithartic

I often thought that if John didn’t meet Paul, he may have gone undiscovered, husking about in London.

15. Guithartic

Paul made statements in the movie that indicated that he’d agree with you.

16. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

it's a hypothetical, but I definitely don't agree with you on that...John is my all-time favorite songwriter, so....

17. Guithartic

I had heard that.
    In an interview, Ringo explained that when he told each of the other Beatles that he was feeling like the other three had a connection and he was the odd man out, they each independently replied, “You? I thought it was me.”

Mr_Lahey and circles like this.
  18. Guithartic

Slight tangent: Has anyone else heard the recent Who album? I really wanted to love it but just couldn’t.

19. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

That’s why I said “for my money”, it’s obviously debatable. But, again for my money, it wasn’t close. Paul made a lot of records after the Beatles, but imho only the first was really good. Lennon made a couple of good albums but was killed sooo young. But I guess for both of those guys their best stuff was so intertwined with each other that their OWN stuff just didn’t seem like it was in the same league. Whereas George’s stuff was always HIS stuff and he released a lot more of it, still of very high quality, for years after the Beatles ended. ALL my opinion only, of course…

-Ray

Mr_Lahey and circles like this.