For someone who is not fond of black Strats….

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

You have succumbed to the affliction of buying used guitars, often finding great deals. The trend for guitars that get sold that way are most often black. Partly for the reason barns are red because red paint was cheaper and thus more barns were painted red. For guitars the cheap paint is black. And many players like black. Order of guitar popular colors: black, white, red, and then the rest.

These were my collection acquired a decade ago... Black guitars are so much easier to find cheap on the used market. I paid something like $25 for the one on the left and $15 for the second from the left.
img_4510b.jpg

This pair of Fenders are frequent players these days -- both bought used (and cheap), good thing I still like black guitars. But I'm fond of adding red tort to them ...
img_20190714_105810.jpg

madmtnmotors

Just Blundering My Way Through
Silver Member
Feb 10, 2020
Sunny Central Florida
I'm not particularly a fan of black guitars either, but so many guitars are painted black that it is difficult to avoid having at least one (or six!) black guitars...

:whistling:

meatwad

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 13, 2020
md tn
Here’s one of my black Strats.. HM Reissue with a German Floyd. I didn’t really want gold, but at the time, it was the only color I could find in stock in the whole world.

My other black Strat is an ‘83 SQ-series Squier. No pic on my iPad to share though.

Attachments

• 6093DE4A-B2AE-446E-8947-307050CBA608.jpeg
    6093DE4A-B2AE-446E-8947-307050CBA608.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 22A91078-4917-4B27-A01D-30728882B62D.jpeg
    22A91078-4917-4B27-A01D-30728882B62D.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 2

KenC

New Member!
Jan 21, 2021
Washington D.C.
I reacquired the rosewood neck one tonight after selling it a few weeks ago. Traded my Epi Dot for it straight up. It a 2009 Classic 60s neck, Squier SE body and SD SSL-1 pickups in the neck and middle and an SSL-5 in the bridge. I'm thinking to buy a used Classic 60s body for it or maybe just a less expensive one that's not black.
How are you liking those pups Lonn???🤔

KenC

New Member!
Jan 21, 2021
Washington D.C.

You have succumbed to the affliction of buying used guitars, often finding great deals. The trend for guitars that get sold that way are most often black. Partly for the reason barns are red because red paint was cheaper and thus more barns were painted red. For guitars the cheap paint is black. And many players like black. Order of guitar popular colors: black, white, red, and then the rest.

These were my collection acquired a decade ago... Black guitars are so much easier to find cheap on the used market. I paid something like $25 for the one on the left and $15 for the second from the left.
img_4510b.jpg

This pair of Fenders are frequent players these days -- both bought used (and cheap), good thing I still like black guitars. But I'm fond of adding red tort to them ...
img_20190714_105810.jpg
I see that SG - how are you liking her??? I think an Epiphone SG will be my next new guitar purchase!!! LOL 👍🏻❤️🎸🤘🏻😉

Lonn

Mod Admin
Staff member
Jul 6, 2014
Carmel IN
I've got this Van Gogh style pickguard that I've never used and I picked up the unused chrome metal one today for $25. They'd both look good on black but I'm thinking to swap out the body on the rosewood neck one for a genuine Fender body in another color.

diywOAn.jpg

Lonn

Mod Admin
Staff member
Jul 6, 2014
Carmel IN
I'm thinking to keep the HSS one stock as it came from the factory (other than the guard but I have the original). The Rosewood one is a Classic Series 60s neck and an SE body with SD SSL pickups. I'm thinking a CAR body or maybe Seafoam Green to replace the SE body.

t3Vjdkw.jpg

Silverman

Strat-Talker
Feb 28, 2016
Chicago
I never really did either, but then I went and did this, View attachment 538046 and I find myself really liking it. Maybe its the contrast of the black and chrome and the maple board.
Ahhh, the Peavey Predator. This was the guitar that got me into it. My friend got one in red for Christmas during 6th grade, and I thought it was amazing looking. He then ruined y plastering stickers all over it.

I found out later that it was actually a really competent S clone

Torvald

Senior Stratmaster
May 3, 2019
Northwest
Ahhh, the Peavey Predator. This was the guitar that got me into it. My friend got one in red for Christmas during 6th grade, and I thought it was amazing looking. He then ruined y plastering stickers all over it.

I found out later that it was actually a really competent S clone
I'd heard for years that the USA Predators were good players. I bought just a body and neck. The neck is quite good, the body is a bit clunky but at least it's real wood. Standard strat pickguards fit. I started a thread over on the "Other Guitars" forum. "Heart Patient ".

Torvald

Senior Stratmaster
May 3, 2019
Northwest
I'm thinking to keep the HSS one stock as it came from the factory (other than the guard but I have the original). The Rosewood one is a Classic Series 60s neck and an SE body with SD SSL pickups. I'm thinking a CAR body or maybe Seafoam Green to replace the SE body.

t3Vjdkw.jpg
That looks pretty "badass", if you ask me.