Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Formvar vs Enamel pick-ups

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by sikoniko, Oct 14, 2017.

Formvar vs Enamel pick-ups

1. Formvar

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Enamel

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Bodean

Bodean You'll shoot your eye out kid Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    I know this is old but the first sounds like formvar.:D

2. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Are we really doing this?

stratman323 likes this.

3. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    DON'T DO IT, Simon!! The tractional difference will alter the way you step on the pedals and, poof, there goes your tone...................:D

simoncroft likes this.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    Clearly the one with Formvar is the one that sounds like the one with formvar. Everyone knows that Fezz. ;)

6. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Ha! That's actually right. :D

Bodean likes this.

7. Bodean

Bodean You'll shoot your eye out kid Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    If I wasn't I need to quit winding.:D

fezz parka likes this.

8. inra311

inra311 Strat-Talker

Oct 12, 2008
    Europe
    From a technical view there is a difference which leads to a bit stronger resonance peak with enamel, also at a slightly different frequency. Under ideal conditions (high enough input impedance of the following device in the signal chain, not too much distortion etc.) you might be able to hear this, why not. It is however a very subtle difference.

But judging from a video with different Strats (two have enamel, one formvar, which sounds better) does NOT make any sense as each Strat sounds different from each other anyway. In this case the sound difference between the wood, the kind of metal for the bridge, even the finish... is definitely much bigger than what comes from enamel or formvar.

You'd really have to do a video with the same guitar, same strings, everything the same, playing exactly the same licks (which is maybe impossible?) to judge the difference between the pickup wire.

Thin69 likes this.

9. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Which was my point. It's the sum of everything, not just the wire. Hell, they'd sound different with some else playing them. You have a 33.33% percent chance of getting it right.

Formvar vs. Enamel. An exercise in minutia of the most insignificant kind. Coming to a theater near you December 15th.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

10. conehead

conehead Strat-Talker

Apr 12, 2017
    way out there
    I actually have both types in the same guitar. One of my strats has a Don Mare "Junior Watson" set which comes with formvar neck & middle and enamel bridge. I would have never known had I not looked at the specs on Don's website. Guys like that know which factor affects what in the overall equation, but my ears are only refined enough to tell me whether I like the end result or not.