Join Strat-Talk Today

Fortnite lawsuit: Game designed to be addictive?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Oct 8, 2019.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I heard about this in the news today - Apparently there's a lawsuit going on against the maker of video game Fortnite, as people claim the game was designed to be addicting:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/lawsuit-accuses-fortnite-maker-of-designing-game-to-be-addictive/
    This seems so silly to me.. Video games have been around for a long time, some of which can take a lot of someone's time. And the same could be said for TV. IMO if someone wants to get wrapped up in something and not even shower for a while, that's their own decision. And this is something that seems like a sign that more and more people these days want to sue and blame other people for things.

[​IMG]

2. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Video game producers have studied human psychology to the point where a game can be designed strictly to produce little shots of endorphins, which makes the game addictive.

The term for this in the industry is "brain hack."

3. CigBurn

CigBurn Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I live for this ...

OT.jpg

4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Of course the very thing that might make it addictive is also what makes it fun to play. Playing softball provides a little shot of endorphins when you get a hit or make an out. Even seeing an "alert" pop up in the upper right of this page when someone "likes" a post of yours gives a little endorphin release. Let's see anyone design a game that doesn't produce pleasure in the players, and see how popular it becomes.

Short version: The lawsuit is stupid.

Ruscio, abnormaltoy and WhiteWabbit like this.
  5. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

um Fortnite is aaaiight but c'mon people it was called World of Warcrack for a reason! Personally I dont think Fortnite is all that, I prefer Overwatch.

dogletnoir, Bighump and Nubs like this.
  6. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster

Anything that's fun is addictive. At least to an addictive personality like me.
    I guess I should count my lucky stars that I haven't played fortnite yet.

7. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I've never heard of anyone being addicted (i.e., 'continued use in the face of harm') to softball. These brain hacks reach right in and push the button.

8. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Of course it's addictive! That's the nature of games. Duh!

9. CalicoSkies

I haven't heard it called that before. :p I've never played WOW though. I've never really been into paying a monthly subscription fee for a game.. Often I'll play a game for a while and then stop, and might pick it up again later..

10. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

CigBurn likes this.
  11. CalicoSkies

Before this, I've never really heard of anyone being addicted to a game either.. I've spent lots of time playing certain games, but I don't think I'd say they're so fun that I can't stop walk away from them. I've never been harmed from playing a game too much.

12. CalicoSkies

13. circles

circles artificial life form Strat-Talk Supporter

I play Unreal Tournament. Anyone up for a game?

Bighump, Nubs, Tuner Sandwich and 2 others like this.
  14. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I don’t mean to be Debbie downer, or Nancy no-no, but these things verge on the political. Just sayin’

15. CalicoSkies

Maybe I could have sued for games like SimCity, Civilization, Tetris, and others taking up so much of my time when I was younger..

Triple Jim likes this.
  16. CalicoSkies

Stop it right there before the thread gets locked. :p

17. circles

circles artificial life form Strat-Talk Supporter

How is it political? It could be controversial I suppose but does pit brother against brother so to speak.

18. CigBurn

CigBurn Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

It certainly is. :) Oldie but goodie

guitarface and circles like this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Now see ... if Fender and Gibson could just figure out how to get those kids hooked on playing guitar like that they would have millions of new players with GAS buying up all the latest guitars.

In a video game, that first level is the easiest to play. As you get better the game gets slightly harder.
    Compared with guitars, that first level starter guitar is the most difficult to play. And then as you get better, you can buy nicer guitars that play easier.

.... Start putting a PLEK on every Squier and Epiphone and then there will quickly be more players buying more guitars.

Also convince the parents to start the kids out on easy to play electrics not the finger shredding acoustics most of them want to buy (because they fear the noise not realizing an acoustic is loud all the time while an electric can be played unplugged). An often heard parent method "if you learn to play this guitar I'll buy you a nicer one." It's hard and so the kid plays the video game instead.

Maybe parents should be "if you can beat this 8-bit unbearable game, prove to me that you can stick with it, I'll get you an easy game like Fortnight".

CalicoSkies likes this.
  20. Speedmaster

Speedmaster Strat-Talk Member

You could probably guess by my avatar that I like video games, though I'm not really a Fortnite guy.

The lawsuit is a ridiculous shot in the dark hoping for a settlement check. Fortnite is not as addictive in design as apps like Instagram or Facebook are, and it is in itself less addictive than a lot of 'freemium' mobile games like the ones that my mother in law plays on her phone. It is also not very unique as a game - right now there are a lot of "Battle Royale" games on the market. Fortnite is just the one kids like to play most, and therefore it is an easy target.

WhiteWabbit, CalicoSkies and circles like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.