Join Strat-Talk Today

Fortnite lawsuit: Game designed to be addictive?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Oct 8, 2019.

1. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Are you suggesting that some of us are addicted to this forum? I can quit any time I want...really, I can...just watch me!!

:whistling:

People can get addicted to anything. Fitness nuts can get addicted to the endorphins from running, biking, lifting, etc. It can be a healthy addiction, but just like any other addiction, it can interfere with life's responsibilities and have some real consequences.

CB91710 likes this.
  2. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

There's a whole new spin to this since a few years back. There are now professional gamers making money from either tournaments or youtube videos. If you end up as the lucky winner of the Fortnite tournament you're set for life... Or maybe not for life since most of the players are young but the price pool is $30 000 000, the winner of the solo tournament will walk away with $3 000 000.

When I was a kid, video games were something unnecessary, something you could do after all else was done. If you spent more than an hour or two you had overdone it but no one complained if you spent 5 hours a day playing guitar or soccer. The chances of making a living (not hitting big, just getting by) from each is about the same I'd say.

Our friends oldest sone came within one spot of winning the a Fortnite tournament over here, the prize was a ticket to the US and the big tournament, all expenses paid. The parents thought he spent too much time playing, right up until they realized what he was up to and how well he was doing.

My son plays Minecraft, Roblox and some Fortnite. As a parent I now have to realize that there's more to it than when I was a kid, Minime wants to be a youtuber when he grows up, that is a real profession today...

BallisticSquid likes this.
  3. WhiteWabbit

WhiteWabbit Senior Stratmaster

It’s crazy but true that people can make a living playing video games nowadays but for every one person making a sustainable living there are thousands who think they can but fail to do so. Also, not many games last as long in popularity as Fortnite so you better be able to transfer your skills to the next big game. Even if you are a successful YouTuber how long is that really gonna last? It’s just like the music business or movies, not many can stay on top for long enough to have a career in it.

Cerb and BallisticSquid like this.
  4. Cerb

Yes, the same applies to careers in music, sports, art etc. As a parent I think the tricky part is to recognize when there is talent and when there isn't. When can I tell my son that it's OK for him to drop out of school to pursue an alternative career? Options are good, it's good to have an education on which you can stand and build your future career but that may not be the path for everyone.

Yes, games can be a problem but so can anything else if it's done in excess. Having a kid that spends 8 hours a day doing advanced math while failing all other subjects would also be problematic.

WhiteWabbit and BallisticSquid like this.
  5. BallisticSquid

Minecraft is an interesting game. It's like a modern day version of an erector set, legos, or lincoln logs. My son was showing me one day how he was building a system that would automatically harvest grain. With machines within the game, he cobbled something together to cut and gather a patch of grain as it grew. It was pretty clever. He's also dabbled with installing mods and running his own server. He plays with his neighborhood friends.

Minecraft seems to be waning, but Roblox and Fortnite are going strong. I've seen where youtubers have had to move onto new games. My kids started watching Dan TDM when he was basically all about Minecraft. Now it seems he mainly does Fortnite videos...though he does Roblox also.

WhiteWabbit and Cerb like this.
  6. BallisticSquid

I encourage my kids to be creative but have taken various opportunities to point out the difficulty in providing for yourself and your family strictly through creative endeavors.

I think it takes a combination of talent and passion. As much as my daughter loves music and has a talent for it, she's not taking every opportunity that she can to play her keyboard or her guitar. So she'll probably do like I have done...music will be a hobby.

Cerb likes this.
  7. Cerb

Maybe. You never can tell though, many don't get serious about it until they're a bit older. Then there are those that are good enough to do it but choose not to because they don't want to turn the passion into work.

BallisticSquid likes this.
  8. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

Awesome.

9. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

I still addicted to Pong
    giphy (6).gif

circles and Cerb like this.
  10. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Fortnite just came out last year, so it has only been out for a year, almost 2. There are a lot of games that seem to be fairly popular for a while (Minecraft, the Civilization games, and the Unreal Tournament games are a few that I can think of).

I'm not sure Minecraft is waning. With Minecraft having expanded from the PC Java version to consoles, and more recently the Win10 edition, I thought Minecraft was growing in popularity.

I started playing Minecraft myself in 2011 (as an adult) and still play it occasionally. I've been running my own server all that time.. A co-worker of mine had told me about Minecraft, and I decided to run a server so he could play on it sometimes too. I've installed some mods on the server that make it more interesting. More recently, I found out there are also alternate version of the Java edition (for PC) that you can tweak to add 'shaders', which add more graphics capabilities. I recently set mine up so now water looks a lot more realistic, and there are also reflections now, such as reflections of things on the ground when it rains and the ground is wet.. Makes it look more interesting.

BallisticSquid, WhiteWabbit and Cerb like this.
  11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Before computers there was

[​IMG]

vid1900, circles and Cerb like this.
  12. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

Maybe they should take the game down for a week and cite the plaintiffs in the lawsuit as being directly responsible.

20 million angry teenagers will be banging on that lawyer's door.

Cerb and BallisticSquid like this.
  13. BallisticSquid

My son was excited to show me the tweak that allows you to enhance the resolution. The water was really impressive!!

At one point there were Minecraft books, toys, clothing...that seems to have died down. I guess that's what gave me the impression that the game was lessening in popularity. All I've seen over the past year was Fortnite stuff!

Cerb likes this.
  14. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Don't be silly, that would involve venturing out into the real world, they would just switch to an alternate game. Just like we go to TDPRI when this place doesn't work.

15. Cerb

Even Minecraft Lego. My son prefers Minecraft and Roblox to Fortnite. How old is yours?

BallisticSquid and Dougeryb like this.
  16. circles

circles artificial life form Strat-Talk Supporter

Pinball rules.

17. WhiteWabbit

WhiteWabbit Senior Stratmaster

Yea that’s true it just seems longer maybe because the popularity has been so crazy. I kept thinking it had peaked but now with these million dollar tournaments being played in major sports arenas I’m not sure that’s the case. I can’t think of any games that have transcended the video gaming community the way fortnite has.

18. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

My 11 y/o is addicted to this game hard on the weekends when we let him play. We give him around 2-4 hours a day on the weekends. I can see how these games can be addicting as they have the social element going on with them. I was hooked on WOW for a long time due to the social interaction you have in game with everyone. I find that to be the big draw, the community feel you get when playing with other people.

Nubs likes this.
  19. BallisticSquid

My sons are 10 and 12. They both were Fortnite obsessed for a year I would say...they dropped Minecraft like a bad habit. My 10 year old is back to being all about Minecraft and sometimes Roblox. My 12 year old doesn't game as much as he used to, but when he does it's still Fortnite and occasionally Minecraft.

Cerb likes this.
  20. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Multi-player games with other people have been around for a long time. I've been using computers for a long time, and back in the 90s, a lot of DOS games started to have multi-player network capability. Initially they used the Novell IPX/SPX network protocol, which limited the type of network you could play on. But when the internet became popular, there was a program called Kali that allowed those types of multiplayer games to be played over the internet with other people, which was very popular. Fairly soon, multiplayer PC games started supporting internet protocols directly (rather than the older IPX/SPX protocols).

I've been playing multiplayer games for a long time, but I've never really felt like I was addicted to them.

Bighump, Nubs and Cerb like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.