Join Strat-Talk Today

Fortnite lawsuit: Game designed to be addictive?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Oct 8, 2019.

1. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talk Member

I'm an old man.
    I grew up with a NES. I remember hearing the early NES games were designed after a lot of arcade games. As I got older I got into Sega Genesis and remember playing Mortal Kombat. Which I know was designed after an arcade. I seem to remember we were excited when our Genesis games looked like arcades.

Now as an adult I think back and remember having to pump quarters into arcades. Wasn't the whole point to get us kids addicted so we'd feed quarters in non-stop?

Bighump, Cerb and BallisticSquid like this.
  2. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

That may be true. I think a lot of arcade games were also designed to be a bit tough to play long, so it would be "game over" soon and you'd need to put in more quarters fairly soon and often. But also, I always had limited amount of quarters, so after a few games I had to just stop. A good parent wouldn't keep giving their kids money for stuff like that anyway.

I always thought arcade games were a bit different from home console games though. The original NES game was Super Mario Brothers, which I always thought was a bit too long of a game to be an arcade game. I did see some arcades that had it though and thought that was weird, because unless you knew about all the warp zones, it could take some time to get to the end and win the game. I don't think arcade games were about finishing and winning the game though; arcade games always seemed to be about playing a few rounds and getting the highest score. Many arcade games were ones that were set up for that: Fighting games, racing games, points-gathering games (like Pac-Man and such), etc., whereas home console games were ones you'd have to take time to play through to the end and beat the game.

Bighump likes this.
  3. Nubs

Nubs Strat-O-Master

I remember IPX/SPX protocol being used for our LAN gaming. And I totally remember Kali too. Believe it or not, Kali is still around and a guy I know around here still uses it with his friends.

4. CalicoSkies

Pretty much all PC games these days support internet protocols directly (and have for a long time), so I'm wondering what is Kali used for these days? Are they playing old games?

5. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

I grew up on NES too and I used to have one until a few years ago when i sold it to get my kids more games for the WiiU because the NES was just sitting unused. I regret selling it man I really miss the old feeling of that square controller and having to blow in the cartridges to get them working. The NES to me is my all time favorite system simply because of the simplicity of the games. I loved the Sega Genesis and preferred it over the SNES, I used to play Shining Force 2 until my eyes bled lol. I think I completed that game 5 or 6 times. I also loved Phantasy Star 4. I used to call in to the pay for tips line for that game to learn all the combos and my parents got in my ass for running up their phone bill lol.

6. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talk Member

I still have my NES and Genesis and will occasionally pull them out and play for a rush of nostalgia. It's weird, toys got old and broken, friends grew up, don't live at my parents house, etc. But when I plug in Super Mario Bros 2. The experience on the NES physically, visually, sonically is the closest I can get to actual true memories of childhood.

I also preferred the Genesis over the SNES. That was like picking sides in a great war on the playground!

WhiteWabbit and Bighump like this.
  7. Nubs

Nubs Strat-O-Master

Yeah man they're playing like Descent and all of those old games.

Cerb likes this.
  8. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

Oh! Descent was fun!

9. CalicoSkies

Descent was one of my favorite games. Several years ago, I discovered that the Descent engine was open-sourced, and there is a recent project called DXX-Rebirth which has produced a version of Descent that will run on Windows 10 - You can copy all of the old Descent levels and game files and it will play them on Windows 10:
    https://www.dxx-rebirth.com/
    I believe that has internet support so you can play multiplayer via the internet. Otherwise it looks and works just the same.

There's a similar project called D2X-XL, which uses its own custom menu to play all the levels and missions from Descent 1 & 2, and with some updated graphics features:
    http://www.descent2.de/

Nubs and Cerb like this.
  10. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

Cool! Thank you!

11. Nubs

Nubs Strat-O-Master

I was the king of Descent at my LAN gaming sessions. Cuz every other knucklehead there would use a keyboard and I used a joystick with a HAT switch. Completely dominated!

CalicoSkies and Cerb like this.
  12. CalicoSkies

I had a joystick with a hat switch that I used with Descent for a while. I got used to playing Descent that way, though for some reason I ended up getting rid of the joystick and I got used to the keyboard again. A few years ago, I bought a USB joystick for my (then) current PC and tried playing DXX-Rebirth (the Windows 10 Descent) with it and for some reason I couldn't really get used to playing it with the joystick. I was able to pick up the game again really well with the keyboard though - probably due to muscle memory.

I think one thing with the joystick was that I had to make wider movements to move the stick to turn, whereas with the keyboard, I can press the key and the ship immediatly makes a turn movement.

Nubs likes this.
  13. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Believe it or not, there was a 6800 Intel computer running inside that thing.

-

Not hard to believe is that the same people who made addictive pinball machines made the slot machines too....

100_0330.JPG

14. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I used to play Wolfenstein 3D. It was so cool!

images.jpg

CB91710, Nubs and CalicoSkies like this.
  15. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yep... Then Doom and Doom II.
    My main addition was Quake-2 and Quake-3, played online using the Weapons Factory mod (capture the flag).
    Got bigtime into Counterstrike... stopped playing after 9/11... playing terrorist/counterterrorist lost the fun factor.

CalicoSkies, circles and Cerb like this.
  16. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Well my 12-yesr-oid is well and truly addicted. Video games also make him cranky and aggressive (Call Of Duty does the same to my husband o_O). We need to keep an eye and make sure he doesn't play too much - but it's not easy. He's a sneaky one...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Cerb likes this.
  17. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-O-Master

Yes, this! ^^^^

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.