Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Foto Flame Strat Owner's Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Heilly, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Heilly

Heilly Strat-Talker

Mar 21, 2011
    Thornton, CO
    Got a 90's Foto Flame? Post it here. They may be the brunt of jokes, but bottom line is these MIJ's were assembled with some decent quality. I find myself gravitating back to mine. Whether it is a real flame top or a thin photographic film... when you find a guitar that feels like no other... that's all that matters.

Mine is a 1993 Floyd Rose Squier Series. All stock, purchased brand new from Colorado Music in Downtown Denver for $350.00.

Let's see your Foto Flame. Maybe we will see the Hamburglar face show up....

Attached Files:

Mooney Pilot likes this.

2. totnesdave

totnesdave Strat-Talker

May 1, 2011
    Totnes, UK
    I *had* one, that I bought in 1994, let it go a couple of years ago, kind of regretting it now :/

I fitted it with David White "Old Glory" pickups too, very sweet.

One thing I did like was the hard 'V' neck on it, and the whole guitar was really light and acoustically loud, very very vibrant.

So, no longer in the club, but for old times sake, here's a pic ....

Attached Files:

3. stratsrgood

stratsrgood Strat-Talker

Mar 15, 2009
    Hampshire UK
    I'm afraid that I fell out of the club as well - but I did have a Foto Flame in dark red sunburst with a rosewood board and it was a great guitar. I cannot for the life of me remember why I sold it, seemed like a good idea at the time I guess!
    I miss that guitar though.

4. randythoades

randythoades New Member!

Nov 29, 2011
    Surrey, UK
    Foto flame strat

Hi everyone, I am a new member to Strat-talk but thought I would share my Foto flame 62 reissue strat. I had bought one new in 94, my first proper Fender, and loved it and used it for about 4 years until I did the normal thing that young people do and butchered it. I had bought a USA strat in the foolish notion that it would be much better, in fact it wasn't but I preferred the colour.
    Then I got bored one day, stripped the foto flame finish as it had all cracked and warped with constant gigs, dropped in 3 high output humbuckers and put on locking tuners. Funnily enough, it never felt the same so I sold it (along with the 87 squier and 92 squier I had at the time - they were considered cheap and tatty - how things change...)
    Always regretted it and spent the last 10 years buying all number of guitars, MIM strats, MIJ strats and teles, USA standard and highway one strats and teles, Gibson Les Paul etc. Been through over 50, just trying to find my perfect guitar.
    Finally found an unmodified Foto flame strat in great condition on ebay and bought for £400. Snapped it up even though much more than I would have liked to pay. First night playing it I realised what I had been missing so the last year has seen me sell off the entire collection except for a red and white Mex strat for the Hank Marvin impression and a custom made tele for my country set, everything else is my Foto flame. I just love it, the feel, the sound, it is my ideal guitar!
    Just goes to show that it doesn't matter how much you spend, just like your wife, you know when you have found the right one...

Attached Files:

Nick Evans likes this.

5. Joshua

Joshua Senior Stratmaster

May 4, 2011
    Lenoir, NC
    I want to be in this club. I will be in this club one day.

6. Heilly

Heilly Strat-Talker

Mar 21, 2011
    Thornton, CO
    Welcome to the forum and club randythoades... a bunch of great people here. I thought this thread had crapped the bed, but I see it has been resurrected!
    Great looking Fotoflame you have there!
    Cheers!

We haven't seen the Hamburglar face yet....

7. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 11, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Ain't done this thread in a few months...

[​IMG]

RevBillyG likes this.

8. Slackitude

Slackitude Strat-Talk Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    I'm an owner!! She's a beauty. Lots of rust on the bridge saddles, haven't looked under the pickguard yet. Plays very well, looks fantastic. I'm happy that there's no peeling at all of the Foto Flame finish. I'm going to take her fully apart, clean, and put back together. But not quite yet, I want to play first. I suspect I'll end up replacing the saddles and maybe all the screws if they don't clean up, but other than that I'm hoping to leave her alone. Although a full electronics & pickup overhaul may be in order.

Someone mentioned in my other thread that the pickguard wasn't original. I don't know, lots of pics I found doing research on the interwebs show pearloid pickguards.

I have a bunch of pics up here:

ImageShack Album - 17 images

A few of them:

my messy work area
    [​IMG]

guitar cat is not amused
    [​IMG]

neck stamp
    [​IMG]

FotoFlame logo
    [​IMG]

rusty
    [​IMG]

9. Heilly

Heilly Strat-Talker

Mar 21, 2011
    Thornton, CO
    Very nice indeed!. Can't comment on the pearloid p/g. That saddle has seen its share of moisture! The only thing I don't have is the foto flame neck.
    Looks gorgeous! Welcome to the club! :D Do you care to share how this one found its way into your arms?

10. Slackitude

Sep 17, 2011
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Got this one on Craigslist, lucked out and got to it before anyone else. Got a screaming good deal too. There's a thread on the main board over here:

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/str...82-ngd-tomorrow-hopefully-mij-foto-flame.html

The more I look at that bridge & saddles, the more I think I might replace the whole assembly. Although, the block looks like a beefy steel block and it's in fine shape. Maybe just new saddles. Which would be good, those Callaham bridge assemblies are nice but boy are they pricey. Just bought one for my partscaster project, $165. Ouch. I may try one of the GFS bridges instead.

11. srvhollyfan

srvhollyfan Strat-Talker

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Slackitude..I may be wrong, I think its the stock PG...I have seen some 100% original fotos with the pearloid pg...so I think different years got different pg.

12. Slackitude

Sep 17, 2011
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    This guitar is fantastic! I haven't taken her totally apart yet but I did some new strings and basic setup. The action is still way too low for me but it plays and sounds amazing! Good chimey tones even with the rusted saddles.

I ordered a new Callaham bridge, block, & saddle assembly, couldn't resist. I'll probably replace the non-pickup electronics with new CTS gear and a blender control. Maybe a ToneShaper instead but I don't think I'll tweak with it enough to justify the $129 cost. Plus I can solder. :)

I might at some point put in a set of pickups because, well, that's what we do around here.

Lastly, I do feel like this guitar with its vintage frets (and my partscaster Fender USA neck with vintage frets) both need to be re-fretted. They're pretty worn. I'll probably replace them with medium 6105. Gonna cost me a pretty penny to do them, my shop charges $280 each. I don't know if that's high or not but they do fine, fine work. Maybe I'll see if I can get them to throw in a full setup on both if I do them at the same time. I'm likely to buy a new acoustic from them early next year too, a $2K+ purchase should warrant a little free work. :)

13. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 31, 2010
    Lost Angeles
    Wow, some really nice Foto Flames pictured above! Here's my new to me plain jane. It's a real comfortable player. Please pardon the phone pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 31, 2010
    Lost Angeles

15. Heilly

Heilly Strat-Talker

Mar 21, 2011
    Thornton, CO
    Nothing 'plain jane' about her. That's a gorgeous guitar! :D

16. Heilly

Heilly Strat-Talker

Mar 21, 2011
    Thornton, CO
    Not your Traditional Foto....

Since I am the proprietor of this thread....this qualifies. Hopefully there are more Squier Stage/Showmasters out there.

This is a 2000 Squier Stagemaster. Craigslist purchase for $40. I play this when I get that rare itch to visit the Metal Shop. Pics were obviously after I cleaned the cobwebs off of it... LITERALLY.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. robdedalus

robdedalus New Member!

Dec 13, 2012
    Liverpool, UK
    1994 MIJ foto-flame

Here are a couple of pics of my 1994 Foto-Flame Strat. Bought about 10 years ago for c.£200 from a great used guitar shop called Frailers in Runcorn. Probably paid too much for it at that time but its been a great guitar. Its stock with a maple neck so no foto-flame there. Sounds great through my Fender hot rod deluxe (but doesn't everything...?)

Attached Files:

18. jabb

jabb Strat-Talk Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Oxford
    My latest restoration project
    [​IMG]|http://thumbsnap.com/41mi1uUb[/url]
    [​IMG]|http://thumbsnap.com/5GTQrQVn[/url]
    Does it look standard with EMGs?

19. jabb

jabb Strat-Talk Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Oxford
    Can I ask if the trem is supposed to be USA thread 10-32 UNF and if the EMGs would be standard fit?

20. tdrommond

tdrommond Senior Stratmaster

Jul 20, 2012
    Norman, OK
    Digging up an old thread here, but I have a question about Foto-flame. When looking at the guitar in the light and moving it around, do the colors shift and shimmer, like real wood or is it 2D and only looks like real wood straight on?

What I guess I'm asking, is there a quick way to spot Foto-flame? Does it look pixelated?