Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Foto Flame Strat Owner's Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Heilly, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Joshua

Joshua Senior Stratmaster

May 4, 2011
    Lenoir, NC

2. Longsquare

Longsquare New Member!

Jul 8, 2014
    italy

3. Heilly

Heilly Strat-Talker

Mar 21, 2011
    Thornton, CO
    Just picked up another 2-knob Foto Flame in red yesterday. Here she is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jimbobmcd

jimbobmcd New Member!

Aug 21, 2014
    Oxford, UK
    Foto purple!

Happy to have found the club! Bought this (MIJ 62 reissue) in Newcastle in 93 or 94 I think, it was the first photo finish I'd seen. Finish has faded on the front but still looks pretty good to me, and sounds as good as ever (when I get time to play that is...)

Attached Files:

5. TacoCaster

TacoCaster Strat-Talker

Feb 26, 2013
    Philly Burbs, PA
    Thread revival. Here is my new to me 1994 Foto Flame from Fujigen Gakki.

Attached Files:

6. Moody

Moody New Member!

Sep 26, 2014
    Mississippi
    These are great looking guitars. Here is one I own. Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
    in the Year(s): 1994 - 1995 Not sure on a value, they play just fine.

Attached Files:

• F1.jpg
      F1.jpg
      File size:
      81.7 KB
      Views:
    • F2.jpg
      F2.jpg
      File size:
      64.7 KB
      Views:
    • F3.jpg
      F3.jpg
      File size:
      85 KB
      Views:
    • F6.jpg
      F6.jpg
      File size:
      70.9 KB
      Views:
    • F12.jpg
      F12.jpg
      File size:
      65.5 KB
      Views:

7. AndrewWelch

AndrewWelch New Member!

Dec 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    1993-1994 '54 Reissue. Got it in a trade several months ago.

Attached Files:

8. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2014
    In the shadows
    Admin Post
    50th anniversary Deluxe 62 and another project 62 with a 60s Classic neck.

[​IMG]

9. goliath

goliath New Member!

Jun 26, 2015
    Toronto
    I love my guitar

I bought mine in 94. I love this guitar. I like the thin neck. Looks great and sounds great.

Attached Files:

10. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Count me in! I just got this today. It spent most of it's life in the case :eek:
    Not any more! :twisted::twisted:

Attached Files:

11. tuffer679

tuffer679 New Member!

Oct 6, 2015
    Augusta ga
    The hamburglar

Just joined the club about a week ago when I traded some gear for this. Love it. It is by far the best guitar I have ever played. Now, I noticed no one has posted the face on here. Am I the only one that has it? What does it really mean about the guitar? I have two on the neck and one on the body. Is this a bad thing or is it just rare. I am about to post the face photos after this.

Didn't have enough room for the photos. I am only asking because I really don't know too much about these guitars besides what little I could find.
    Also this guitar had Armstrong pickups put in before I got it. I think it was a great idea. Since this guitar has the exact sound I have spent tons of money on my other guitar trying to achieve. A 94-95 MIJ.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

12. tuffer679

tuffer679 New Member!

Oct 6, 2015
    Augusta ga
    The hamburglar has arrived

Here are the photos I was was talking about.

Attached Files:

13. john el bib for

john el bib for Strat-Talk Member

Jul 2, 2015
    london
    foto hlame strat 87

some pics of mine 1997 crafted in japan

Attached Files:

14. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis New Member!

Oct 6, 2015
    Belgium
    Cool! I'm in!

Not the best picture, but this is my trusty 2001 flame 62RI strat. Bought it in 2001 in a store and it had several upgrades since: custom shop Texas Spacials, new pots and switches, different wiring (blend option to use bridge and neck together), bone nut, and off course a black pick guard, which i think looks pretty cool in combination with the cream knobs!

The colour in the picture is pretty accurate; It started out as grey flame, but has turned a little purple-ish over time. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it! Guitars come and go, but this is still my best guitar. Tried to sell it a couple of times, but got cold feet every time! ;)

It's ageing in a good way, lots of dings and dongs, small cracks in the finish... A real player!! Our other guitarist used it in our band for about six months and fell in love with this strat and the sound of the Texas Specials. Last week he bought his own strat... with Texas Specials!! :)

[​IMG]

15. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    I like the fade-to-black burst effect! :)

16. Mooney Pilot

Mooney Pilot New Member!

May 25, 2016
    CORNWALL, Ontario Canada

This STRAT is identical to mine. Purchased March 1994.

17. 779307

779307 New Member!

Oct 25, 2016
    Kansas
    I'm new here.. what's up everybody? I have the mij 92-94 hrr, blue/purple, Floyd, DiMarzio hum s s, 3 knob, pull out tone, contoured body under neck plate. Gonna get pics up soon.

Dan_Q likes this.

18. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-Talker

Sep 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    I guess I'm part of this club, too. Here's my 1995 FujiGen Gakki Strat. It's a '62 reissue that was pretty accurate (minus the Foto Flame finish of course) until I decided to hot rod it a bit.

[​IMG]

I dropped it back in high school and broke the original bone nut right in half, so I replaced it with a graphite nut at the recommendation of the guitar techs at the local shop. I also replaced the saddles with matching GraphTech graphite saddles at the same time. I've heard a lot of people trashing graphite, but to be honest, I never noticed even the slightest difference in tone or sustain, one way or the other. The only differences I noticed were that the graphite saddles were more comfortable with lots of heavy palm muting, and I broke far fewer strings at the saddle, which was a somewhat regular occurrence for low E strings on the stock saddles. I still have all of the stock parts in case I ever want to return it to stock, though I doubt that will happen. This is best feeling, best playing guitar I've ever laid hands on. I've already had it for 20 years. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

After leaving it in a relative's garage for a couple years while I was overseas, I recently took it all apart to clean it up and replace the wiring and pots with all vintage cloth wiring, CTS pots, and a CLS 5-way switch. While I was at it, I took out the stock single coils and replaced them with a Dimarzio BC-1 in the neck and a BC-2 in the bridge. In the middle, I put in something that's either a Texas Special or a custom boutique shop single coil (jury is still out—see my first post on this site for more on that if you're interested).

Here it is still on the work bench shortly after getting the new pickups installed.

[​IMG]

The original white plastic parts turned yellow. I used hydrogen peroxide and sunlight to reduce the yellowing. I like the slightly aged look that you can still see on the pickguard, but the new pickups were white, so I had to get some new white covers and knobs to keep it all matching. I'm not sure I'm sold on the white knobs, though. Sometimes I think it looks good, matching with the pickups and selector switch; other times I think I should put the original aged ones back on to better match the pickguard.

[​IMG]

Here's the back (with a Grimace face on the neck if you look closely).

[​IMG]

And here's the neck pocket and neck, showing the ST-62DT stamp on both. I'm not sure what the DT means, though. My first thought was that it might mean "dual tone" since it has two burst colours with the red and yellowy/orange, but I emailed the serial number to Fender to get the details on the guitar, and they called it a "3-Tone Sunburst." Anyone else know what DT stands for?

[​IMG]

Here's the stat sheet I got from Fender.

EDIT:
    Photos should be working now.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016

19. intermetro

intermetro New Member!

Dec 6, 2016
    New York, NY
    Ressurecting this thread. Whoa, another purple/black flamed maple like mine from @jabb! Awesome.

I have a '62 reissue 1993-1994 model that I purchased from Bank Place Guitars in 1996 or 1997 (from Lenny Bonamassa, Joe's dad). This was my first real "upgrade" in the electric guitar dept. and I remember Lenny telling me that these models in particular played very well and were about to become very collectible as the Japanese plant was closed down.

I absolutely love how this thing plays. It is the best sounding electric that I own and I have only made minor adjustments to the stock setup. At one point the p/u selector was shot, so I had that replaced. At another point, I came home from work one day to find the guitar on the ground (along with many other items in my apartment). My dog must have gone nuts for some reason and messed up the whole place. Anyway, the nut was cracked and had to be replaced as a result. I have never been completely in love with the look of the guitar, but it just plays so damn nicely.

The paintjob has become seriously cracked over the years and in places has begun to peel off completely. At the moment I'm thinking of refinishing the guitar. Not sure if I'll do this myself via heat gun (never done this before). If I do have it repainted, I would like to go with a classic sunburst, no whacky foto flame type finish. I would definitely leave painting to a pro. At the moment I am strongly considering stripping the paint, staining and applying a clearcoat of some type, so long as the wood underneath looks decent. Is it even worth it for me to re-finish or am I just absolutely destroying the value of the guitar in doing so? I have absolutely zero interest in ever selling this guitar. It will definitely end up with my son someday, but I would definitely take value into consideration if it were sacrilegious to modify the guitar.

I've tried to locate the specs on the Japanese version but cannot locate the info for exactly what type of wood was used on the body for my model. Also, I'm not sure if I should expect a single piece of wood in the body, or multiple. My neck is not of the hamburglar variety, which now seems odd looking through the post history here. Any input or a link to the specs would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a few pics:

IMG_8699.JPG IMG_8700.JPG IMG_8702.JPG IMG_8703.JPG IMG_8704.JPG IMG_8705.JPG

Attached Files:

Dan_Q likes this.

20. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-Talker

Sep 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    I may be wrong, and someone more knowledgable could probably confirm/correct me on this, but I'm pretty sure basswood was necessary for the foto flame finish to properly adhere. So since you have the foto flame finish on all sides of your strat, I think it's a full basswood body. If you look at the picks of my foto flame strat above, you'll notice that it only has the foto flame finish on the front (the basswood cap). The rest of the body is alder, so that part has a typical stain finish.

If you email your serial number to customerrelations@fender.com, they'll send you a full stats sheet on your guitar, like the one at the bottom of my post (that's just a copy/paste of the stats they sent me based on my serial number).

Dan_Q likes this.