Freaky.............what are the odds?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Parksie, Apr 7, 2021 at 6:58 AM.

1. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Ya, given the relatively low production numbers, it makes sense that they might produce enough necks to last a few months on the same day.
    Production lines are not efficient building one-off products.

2. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

?????? The Fender CS did not start until 1987 by John Page and Michael Stevens under Schulz, 2 years after the FMIC buyout and relocation to Corona. Black did not join the CS until 1989.
    https://www.fender.com/articles/gea...nder-custom-shop-founders-design-stratocaster

I'm not saying that Jay didn't visit you and draw inspiration from your work in '82, but Fullerton never had a Custom Shop.

3. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

They called me and asked me if they could give me credit in their book about it all. I might have my dates off a bit. But I was at Gruhn’s from 78-82 and Jay came to visit us after he went to work for Fender. I knew him way before that when he replaced me at Swift Music Repair in KC after I moved to Nashville. He didn’t stay long at Swift Music Repair before he went to fender, way before 1989. He was working for Fender when he visited me in Nashville, He learned some of our restoration techniques at that time spending about a week in our shop.

We didn’t really do the fake distressing and bogus playing wear, but we did age finishes and did other things such as convert late 60’s fender pickups into early 50’s pickups for restoration purposes. At the time a 60’s grey bobbin Fender pickup was worth about $20 and we were able to take them apart and modify them prior to rewinding them to look exactly like a 50’s pickup. We also tinted and colored the finishes to look old as well as force the lacquer to check so it looked aged. For us it was all about making it look as close to original as possible and any way we could get there was good.

Years later when they were writing the book about it J. Black called me and asked for my OK to give me credit for some of the inspiration to start the relic series. It doesn’t matter to me what people believe about it, I was there right in the middle of it all during the golden age of the vintage guitar market. It’s in their book if you look it up.

CB91710 likes this.
  4. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Here is a link to an article about it.

https://guitar.com/guides/essential-guide/relic-guitars-untold-story/

CB91710 and pazman6 like this.
  5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

Those were early LP's, 54 to 56. In 57 they changed the single coils to PAF's.

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  6. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Hey thanks for the link!! That’s actually some really cool info into the whole relic thing and it does mention you having “aged” a refinished tele to look vintage. That’s actually really cool.

Maybe that article will change some minds of the relic haters. Probably not but it is kinda cool that they had artists asking for a fake aged instrument for the “look”.

CB91710 and Scott Baxendale like this.
  7. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

You'd better buy that guitar then Lonn. And never sell it!

8. stratman323

Not AVRIs in 1982. Only very small numbers of these were made.

Parksie likes this.
  9. stratman323

Quite. That's five years out...

Parksie likes this.
  10. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

The odds are the same as for finding any neck with any date on it. Same as a Royal flush in cards. The chances of it being dealt are exactly the same as the chances of any random hand being dealt. With your guitar neck it depends on what the odds are based on and the options are vast. I should think that if you go with a basic calculation you take the number of similar necks produced at Fullerton on that day, take away 1 for the one you have and then the ‘new’ neck is on in whatever that number is. Say 100 necks were produced, 99 are ‘available’ so the one you’ve found is 1 in 99. But, the overall odds of you finding it should, I suppose, be worked out from the very beginning until that point. So, in a forest of trees, what were the odds that a particular tree would be cut down on the day that meant when Fender bought their timber it was that tree that they got and then used in the production of a neck that was finished and dated on the date in question. From there it’s the odds of everything from who bought it and sold it right up until you opened that ad. My boggler cuts in about now! Are you gonna buy it?

11. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Firstly what’s boggler?

And secondly I bought it!

BTW, I reckon that in mid 82’ no more than 10 Stratocaster necks were being produced a day so the odds of finding a neck dated exactly the same as mine must be pretty high....

12. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

IIRC, production started mid-year 1982. Let's say July 1st for argument sake. Assuming they produced necks every day, there were 26 work weeks, and a five day work week, that means
    the odds of having a 1982 neck with the same date are about 1 in 130. :D:D:D
    I'd play the lottery at those odds.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 6:39 AM
    Stratoskater and CB91710 like this.
  13. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

Everything I have heard tells me yes it is.
    Unfortunately, I am second guessing myself just days after placing my order. I first went with the Chiwuauia after investigating the Accomplice. Seriously looked at the Sweetspot.
    All three of those nail the blackface tone I have savored all my life.
    Mr.Allen has assured me I this amp can do that and more. I am only going by clips and videos on the other three I was considering but I actually heard a Brown Sugar recently and was mesmerized by the tone of this amp.
    I can't understand why I do this to myself.

14. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Oh yeah

But what are the odds of actually seeing it!

15. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Boggler is the noun of mind boggling. So, if your boggler cuts in, you’re mind’s being boggled. Secondly, great that you bought it, could build an interesting partner for the guitar you have. Keep us posted!

16. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Oh sorry buddy I didn’t buy that one

My misunderstanding!

It’s an old ad and would have been sold a while ago.

17. White Dog

White Dog Strat-Talker

Nope...still hate um.

s5tuart and Intune like this.
  18. stratman323

Don't worry mate, I'm a Brit & I didn't know what he meant either!

Parksie likes this.
  19. stratman323

It's hard to be sure but I reckon your estimate is more realistic than "a few hundred" each day.

20. stratman323

That's cool. Fortunately buying a guitar with the relic finish option has always been optional. Don't like 'em? Don't buy one.

:cool:

Intune likes this.