Freestone vs Musikraft Necks?

Forest Lemon

Strat-Talker
Mar 10, 2022
Western NC
Came across this shop on my hunt for a neck for my hardtail project. Has anyone ordered from them before? Quality looks great and their prices are more affordable than several of the big guys in the custom neck world. I'm on the fence between them and Musikraft. I know MK has a great reputation, but Freestone is definitely more cost effective. Is their quality on par?

Forest Lemon

Strat-Talker
Mar 10, 2022
Western NC
Just for reference, I just entered what I'd want for a neck and it cost more than Warmoth.
Yes, I have done the same. $375 from Warmoth, $385 with Musikraft, $295 from Freestone for the same options, except Warmoth doesn't offer a 60's C profile. They basically charge more for some options, so for the features I want on this build, it adds up differently.

Last edited:

Forest Lemon

Strat-Talker
Mar 10, 2022
Western NC
Also the more I look at Allparts, they do have basically all the specs I want except roasted maple on their SRO-62 neck. I recently got their version of a Maple '57 V for my pinecaster Tele and it's a killer neck, so it's a tough decision.

Groovey

Dr. Stratster
Nov 17, 2016
WV. USA
Yep. @revtime

tonedesign

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 6, 2012
Nashville, TN
I have used Warmoth, Musikraft and Freestone necks in my builds and have had great success with all three brands. I generally buy my Freestone and Musikraft necks on auction from ebay because they tend to be cheaper than ordering direct, as long as the specs match my needs. I generally purchase Warmoth necks from their showcase (in stock) collection as turnaround time on custom order necks is in excess of 12 weeks these days.

Freestone necks are definitely the best deal if you're looking for exotic woods, and I like the slightly altered headstock shape since it allows me to put my logo on the headstock without fear of being sued by Fender. Also, Freestone offers fret dressing on their necks for an aditional $65, a service I don't believe Warmoth offers.

Here are some of their necks I have slated for some future builds. From left to right: Birdseye Maple Tele, Pau Ferro on Maple Strat, Rosewood on Maple Strat and Zebrawood on Wenge Strat.
freestone.jpg

Slartybartfast

Strat-Talker
Aug 10, 2020
Ca.
Came across this shop on my hunt for a neck for my hardtail project. Has anyone ordered from them before? Quality looks great and their prices are more affordable than several of the big guys in the custom neck world. I'm on the fence between them and Musikraft. I know MK has a great reputation, but Freestone is definitely more cost effective. Is their quality on par?
I have four Musikraft necks and they are the best. Wait time is about the same as Warmoth unfortunately but the quality is far superior and the cost similar. For the combination of options I select the price is a little better than Warmoth but the quality is better than anything I've gotten from them in 25 years. I just don't see how you could get better than Musikraft unless they came to your house and massaged your feet while you were installing it.

Slartybartfast

Strat-Talker
Aug 10, 2020
Ca.
I have used Warmoth, Musikraft and Freestone necks in my builds and have had great success with all three brands. I generally buy my Freestone and Musikraft necks on auction from ebay because they tend to be cheaper than ordering direct, as long as the specs match my needs. I generally purchase Warmoth necks from their showcase (in stock) collection as turnaround time on custom order necks is in excess of 12 weeks these days.

Freestone necks are definitely the best deal if you're looking for exotic woods, and I like the slightly altered headstock shape since it allows me to put my logo on the headstock without fear of being sued by Fender. Also, Freestone offers fret dressing on their necks for an aditional $65, a service I don't believe Warmoth offers.

Here are some of their necks I have slated for some future builds. From left to right: Birdseye Maple Tele, Pau Ferro on Maple Strat, Rosewood on Maple Strat and Zebrawood on Wenge Strat.
View attachment 573193
The Freestone necks look like USACustom.

Triple Jim

Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar
Feb 27, 2018
North Carolina
I guess that's the basic shape that a lot of the non-Fender licensed builders use. Close enough that people think it's Fender-like, but add that little point on the ball to avoid lawsuits.
I was able to reshape my USACG neck's head to a Fender shape, since the all the differences were in the "bigger" direction. I have a feeling they do that on purpose.

Groovey

Dr. Stratster
Nov 17, 2016
WV. USA
Freestone offers fret dressing on their necks for an aditional $65

Freestone frets are great as they come standard. I’ve not had to touch up any of my Freestone frets. I think this is essentially a disclaimer. To ward off the most particular of us. That is for Freestone to say the frets are not “finished.”

grumpah

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Dec 6, 2020
Maryland
I have had Tucker Freestone make seven necks for me all with custom headstock shapes, heel widths, and profiles. The first three were provided without fretting and the last four have been fretted, levelled, and polished. I have used Warmoth and Musikraft necks but I had to cut my own headstock shape as neither company was interested in doing so. The Freestone necks are very well made and their fretwork is impeccable. Tucker is really easy to work with and his service is excellent. I don't think you can go wrong by giving them a shot at providing what you are looking for.

tonedesign

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 6, 2012
Nashville, TN
Freestone frets are great as they come standard. I’ve not had to touch up any of my Freestone frets. I think this is essentially a disclaimer. To ward off the most particular of us. That is for Freestone to say the frets are not “finished.”
The first few necks I bought from them needed a light dressing of the ends. That may be because the humidity here is not as high as where they were made and there was some light shrinkage of the wood, but then I am also a lot pickier than most.