Fret binding nibs sharp

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Intune, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

I picked up this Strat that has some sharp binding nibs. Not really sharp I guess but square like.

I want to know if I can sort of treat them like sharp fret ends and use my dressing tools just like I would without binding. I just don’t know how thick the nibs are and don’t want to burn through
    0F1FED90-1739-42EC-A25D-9017836C2C1F.jpeg F0FB807E-32EE-4403-BE0E-AF0477AB0AAE.jpeg A2DB3592-7598-4C5C-AA53-F7E299663A07.jpeg C0346D94-F839-403F-A391-9109C61AFF9C.jpeg

2. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

I would not use the angled file tool. The nibs are very delicate and prone to breaking off.

Careful work with the three cornered file is needed.

The frets are cut flush with the sides of the rosewood, so the thickness you see on the nibs is what you have to work with. They do not "cap" the fret ends.

It does make it a bit of a pain to refret... Try to save them and you invariably end up with gaps that'll snag the E string.
    Most will simply level them down and install the new frets over the binding.
    If you really want to keep them, then it's easiest to re-bind the neck.... and refret with stainless so you'll never have to do it again ;)

3. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

hmm doesn't look like there is a lot of meat left.

My Gibson LP Trad 60's also had somewhat sharp fret nibs.. (and the amount of nib covering the frets seemed to be very small)
    I got a sanding sponge (like this guy below), taped the heck out of my frets and neck, only exposing the fret nibs. I sanded down the corners with this.
    It worked like a charm

post script: I have a 2009 gibson with nibs... honestly I never cared much about it, but it's really rounded and comfortable. They either rounded off in production, or the nibs got more rounded for over a decade of playing... not sure

[​IMG]

Paperback Rocker and CGHguitars like this.
  4. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Ok well thanks guys! Exactly what I wanted to know. I’ll just carefully try to round the nibs. I’ll try a few and see how it’s goes with my file.

If not I’ll just play it. They don’t stick out they are just square. It’s a 2011 with absolutely zero fret wear and I really don’t think this has been played all the much. So a refret is out of the question right now. My 65 jag has binding but no nibs, real simple to dress the fret ends. Weird that this one has nibs. I kinda like it but a pain at the same time.

5. CB91710

If they aren't sticking out, I'd probably hit them with a crowing file to roll the crown down over the edge.
    It shouldn't take much work at all.

nutball73 and Baelzebub like this.
  6. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Yeah that’s what I’m going to try. Just roll them over as I’d do with regular fret ends.

CB91710 and Bob the builder like this.
  7. CGHguitars

CGHguitars Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

The soft, padded sanding media like sponges or MicroMesh will soften the edges without taking too much of or leaving a sharper edge if you miss. Great middle ground solution.

rocknrollrich and Intune like this.
  8. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

I have some but they’re all 320 grit! I’ll have to go after work today to find some finer grit pads. Even with my file it’s still fairly coarse. Then more sanding. I want it to look clean oem like.

9. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

I would definitely be gentle when rounding them. I would probably use wet/dry sandpaper and go very slowly.

Damage a nib..... you have a headache.

I honestly can't understand why these exist. Gibson actually dropped the nibs for a year or so, and people lost their minds over it, so they put them back in production.

10. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Yeah I’m nervous about it that’s for sure. My Gibson R8 has them and they feel great. I see why people like them but this one being a case queen and a really dry fretboard may have moved a bit. I have my humidity steady at 45-50% year round so I’m hoping this will maybe settle after a few days but it didn’t.

11. CGHguitars

CGHguitars Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

If you order a set of Micromesh pads you get a full range of grits up to 12K. They make crazy good fret polishers too when you’re done. good luck!

12. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Stew Mac seems to be the only place to order that stuff and I refuse to buy from them. Both times I order tools and parts they were wrong. Just a bad experience all around. I may break down though and order the micro mess stuff. I almost did the other day but backed out.

13. CB91710

Oh micro-mesh is all over Amazon. Every "maker" on the planet who works with resin uses it.

nutball73 likes this.
  14. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

+1 100% on everything stated here!

Refretting and keeping the nibs is a PITA and I used to charge a lot to try to discourage it. Most times it worked.

CB91710 likes this.
  15. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

If you do any filing, file TOWARD the fret, as the end of the fret will support the nib. Don't file away from the fret and risk knocking a nib off.

CB91710 and Intune like this.
  16. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

@archetype Hey good tip! I’ll be attempting this tonight and did just order a crap ton of micro mesh on Amazon. That should be here tomorrow, gotta love the helicopter air drop like delivery system they use!

archetype and CB91710 like this.
  17. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

It's a slippery slope. Once you've used micromesh, you'll never go back to wet n dry...

Except for anything coarser than 1500 grit, of course.

CB91710 likes this.
  18. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

If you are tired of SM and their insane shipping prices, Philadelphia Luthier Tools is the boss.

Super friendly, cheap shipping and most orders arrive in 2-3 days.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/abrasives/

CB91710 likes this.
  19. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

That was just it with Stew Mac, not so much the shipping because I live in Canada so I’m used to all kinds of cool fees. They just kept sending the wrong parts and basically said “that’s why we don’t ship to Canada”. Because I was Canadian the moron taking the orders couldn’t figure out his job. Then a month later plastered all over their website saying they now ship to Canada!

vid1900 and CB91710 like this.
  20. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Thanks for the tips and tricks guys! It’s done and really all I did was use my 3 sided file and did what I’d do normally when cleaning/rounding sharp fret ends. Sanded and polished and it looks like nothing was touched. Feels 100% better.