Fret-ends are killing me

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by mw13068, Mar 16, 2021.

1. ratdoc

ratdoc Strat-Talk Member

2. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Why don’t you get your frets professionally dressed? No guitar leaves our shop with fret ends sticking out. Binding won’t change your issue but proper fret work will.

3. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

FWIW: SX has made some outstanding guitar batches (can't vow for all of them). I have one which quickly became my #2 after I upgraded the pups (samarium cobalt noiseless) and bridge (fender vintage).

Perfect neck, perfect frets, perfect weight and feel, even the stock 'el cheapo' vintage tuners are awesome and hold tune like hell holds the souls of politicians...

SX is highly underated, IMHO.

4. stratocastaway

stratocastaway Strat-Talk Member

Stewmac Fret End Dressing File. They also have a great video to show how to use it.

5. stratocastaway

stratocastaway Strat-Talk Member

Like playing a sawfish ? ApQw5raQkG6oZDd4FEJvGwHaDt.jpg Without the headstock I can't tell if it's a lefty or a righty.

6. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

Dan Erlewine is the best: meticulous but practical.

As for Stewmac, I love their stuff; I'm glad they're there. But a lot of their prices are actually insultingly high. Every so often, in need, I will deescalate that middle finger perpetually directed their way and buy one of their d-----d excellent tools. I then immediately reerect the finger until the next time I need them. So it's a difficult relationship.

But Dan is the best.

CB91710 likes this.
  7. GitGeek

GitGeek Livin' After Midnight Silver Member

And take your time filling. It isn't a 30 minute job.

The last time I gave a mim Strat neck some love I timed it. Sort of, because I didn't do it all in one sitting. My neck and shoulders eventually get sore and I want to stop for a while, but I estimate it took approximately 4 hours.

I'm not a pro, I'm a home player that does his own work, and when I'm done dressing frets they are as nice as you'll find on any high-end guitar.

But it takes time and patience and a certain touch to get it right.

If you have no patience or don't have a very good eye for detail it may not be a job for you.

Colnago1 likes this.
  8. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

On pretty much every guitar I own I’ve had to fix the fret ends at some point. So I figured get the right tools and be done with it. Yes a 1 piece maple neck takes a little longer then a rosewood board neck but you just have to pay attention to how much you’re taking off. This is what I use

Attached Files:

9. SatinNeck81

SatinNeck81 Strat-Talker

I actually noticed this a bit recently on my maple neck Strat, doesn't bother me though, hasn't gotten to the point of being uncomfortable. I have no forced hot air at my house, and no central AC. So I figured when it was summer it would probably settle back in again. If it turned into something I'd probably just get a setup and have my local luthier do it, there aren't many around where I live so I'd rather give him the business than sit around filing frets and then scratch up the fingerboard or something.