Fret leveling new guitars

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dragonbat13, Apr 12, 2012.

1. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-O-Master

Exactly! When I received my cv50 it was setup very well and intonation was good. Not long ago I pulled the strings released the neck tension and did a minor fret level. Some of the frets were off a little but not much. Some people want to group all Squires into the same bag.

2. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

If the action is set where you want it, the relief is properly adjusted, and notes are buzzing or choking out on bends, then you need a level. If not, I'd say no.

3. Johnny V

Johnny V Senior Stratmaster

double post

4. Johnny V

Johnny V Senior Stratmaster

Exactly. It either buzzes where you like your action set or it doesn't. And, if it doesn't, it doesn't need a damn thing.

Don't ask the internet, ask your guitar.

5. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Senior Stratmaster

I've held them.....but never had to level one yet. There's a difference.

6. a green strat

a green strat Strat-O-Master

just wondering how much would a fret leveling cost i have a olp stingray copy it needs it just buzz from the 12th fret

7. elstratelino

elstratelino New Member!

Are you sure Fender doesn't level the frets of their guitars on specific occasions? Im asking because i recently bought a brand new strat at the local guitar-shop, all the plastic wrappings still on it, a 2020 American Professional II (i believe, all the sites with the serial numbers have a hard time deciding if its a 2020 or a 2021).
    I went and bought a pack of strings some two weeks later and the shopowner told me that they offer a "new-guitar-adjustment" for people who bought brand new guitars and i think those adjusments were something like, intonation and trussrod adjustments, string height you know basic things like that so i brought the guitar in but when i got it back it felt off and very odd, the frets that were silky smooth before felt like they were grabbing on the strings and just generally felt rough so when i inspected a little closer i noticed that the frets were levled and i took it back to the shop and told them that someone has been fiddeling with the frets, and that they did a poor job on leveling the frets and the salesperson told me that no one did a fretjob on the guitar itself and he said that it happens that Fender does fret leveling on guitars from the factory.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

None of the production line guitars are leveled.. some of the CS guitars are..

Modern necks are considerably better than necks made, just 20 years ago, but still, to achieve optimum performance from a guitar, the frets should be leveled.

However, the higher you like your action, the less important leveling becomes..

kdines and jvin248 like this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

The only thing separating your $75 Glarry from a $3,000 Gibson, from a playability aspect, is the PLEK machine... Gibsons get PLEK'd at the factory, your Squier/Glarry/Grote/etc does not. However, many of the Asian Import guitar factories have finally caught on to this important feature. Some guitar brands (like Fender) have realized that if they ship the cheap guitars with great fretwork those beginning players turn into intermediate players who buy more expensive guitars, because if they don't learn on that first guitar they toss it in the closet and go back to playing video games. Guitar brands make all their real money from the top end instruments and multiple guitar buying owners. So it pays them to spend that little bit extra time on fretwork.

10. elstratelino

elstratelino New Member!

Thanks alot for sharing your knowledge onto me, i had to show up multiple times and i debated the shop-owner for hours into redoing this hideous fretjob because i couldn't believe myself that Fender would take on such a tideous task on the guitars from the production line..

11. Ronkirn

the reason Fret leveling is not a feature on anything less then the highest tier guitars is...

The cost of labor is the single most expensive "thing" that is part of the cost of a guitar... and fret leveling is a labor intensive procedure... it's that simple...

r

12. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I've had several guitars I never leveled the frets on and they did fine.

However, these days I've had it done to every electric guitar I own, even my U.S. PRS and G&L. It is the best "tune up" I've ever given a guitar. None of my necks were ever really bad, but they are all now as good as they can be. I've never had it done to an acoustic.

13. madmtnmotors

madmtnmotors Just Blundering My Way Through Silver Member

PSA...

Zombie thread! ;)

Michael919 and nadzab like this.
  14. Ronkirn

Your point??

15. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-Talker

I level any new neck coming in my door.
    For my playing style where i bend all the way up to the highest frets, i also give them a fall away from about 12th fret and up to eliminate fret-outs or chokes.

16. Antmax

Antmax Strat-Talker

I used to OCD on low action and would fret level everything the first 4 years of playing. Last two guitars I discovered I like my action a little higher for easier bending and lower gauge for legato stuff and don't bother. Having said that, they were already set up pretty well to begin with and easily got to my comfortable place.

17. madmtnmotors

madmtnmotors Just Blundering My Way Through Silver Member

Just an observation. The topic is certainly as relevant today as it was nine years ago.

Any guitar I add to the collection will always at the very least get the frets rockered before pulling new strings. :cool:

18. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

Have someone (a luthier) take a look at your current fret condition. Then, based on what he finds, make your decision as far as any leveling or polishing is needed.