Frugality Check...Which Cell Phone Are You Using ?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by PCollen, Jul 26, 2021.

1. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

My Samsung galaxy s10e is 2.5 half years old and works fine, which it should do. I don't see why I should upgrade just because the s20 and s21 were released.

bgmacaw likes this.
  2. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

They will force you to upgrade. They always do.
    I remember my old Nokia (wasn't even a flip phone) that just worked and worked without fail.
    I would still have it if they didn't force me to switch.
    Was it a smart phone? I like to think so.
    I use galaxy "whatever number I'm up to now" 8 or 9 ? I don't even care.
    They only last two years or so, and then they mysteriously can't hold a battery charge after that. Hmm.

Nate D likes this.
  3. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

I have been using a Nokia dumb phone for ages and today I have received my first ever smart one a Samsung A21s, fortunately I have had experience of an Apple work phone so not too much of a learning curve (I have also been chief fixer of SHMBO phone)
    I cannot honestly say I enjoy now being a member of the great unwashed and if you see me in the pub with my head in a phone feel free to give me a gert slap.

surfnturf likes this.
  4. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talker

Android

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  5. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Samsung Galaxy (???)
    Mrs.paid $39.?? At Best buy
    And
    It lives in the glove box of the truck

circles likes this.
  6. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Go get a new battery. I paid like $50 for a genuine Samsung Galaxy S7 battery at a Samsung-certified & approved installer a couple of years ago.

My S7 wouldn't last 6 hours when I did my insurance claim. As a matter of fact, that's what the claim was for. So I get the replacement S9 a month ago and it'll last all day and then some. I fully intend on replacing the battery in this whenever it starts going to crap.

7. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

My temporary corporate phone is a flip phone of some kind. I don't really care it's a short term contract job.

circles likes this.
  8. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

IPhone 12
    T-Mobile

Archtops and KillingTone like this.
  9. Swingbass

Swingbass Senior Stratmaster

iPhone 6S. I'm on my 3rd one due to Assurian Insurance coverage. I dropped two of them over the years and the screens cracked even with the protectors and a good case. I got the first one when they came out as my Blackberry was done.

Archtops likes this.
  10. davidd47

davidd47 Strat-Talker

nomadh, DancesWithWeasels and circles like this.
  11. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

iphone 8. I bought it used a couple years ago from somebody for around $300. I don't think I have ever had a new one. I am always a generation or two behind, buying used. No way I'm paying $1k.

StratUp likes this.
  12. velvet_man

velvet_man Senior Stratmaster

I've been going through the Google phones for years now. Started with the Galaxy Nexus, back when Samsung made their phones. I won that one by writing silly poem on Twitter (it was a marketing contest). Then I just leapfrogged along, upgrading every second generation to the Nexus 5 and then Nexus 6P. But that one was so good I didn't need another phone until my current one, a Pixel 3XL. They changed the name from Nexus to Pixel, but they're the same phones. I didn't move on to the Pixel 3 until the Pixel 5 was already out, so the phone company gave it to me for free as long as I agreed to stay with them for 2 more years. Supposedly there's a Pixel 6 coming down the pipeline, but the 3 will cover all of my needs for the foreseeable future.

13. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

iPhone SE.

FrieAsABird, Archtops and PeteGeordie like this.
  14. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

I have a Moto Z something or other. No complaints. Probably had it for about 3 years now and have been able to use it abroad.

But really, the best thing to do is prioritize the specs you care about and see what's out there.
    1. Dual sim?
    2. Expandable memory?
    3. Camera quality?
    4. Screen size and bevel?
    5. Replaceable battery? (might not be available anymore)
    6. Operating system -- android, iOS, something else?
    7. Overall cost of device and accessories?

I also highly recommend buying direct from a manufacturer. It's a higher cash price up front, but it'll come without the carrier's baked-in bloatware and spyware and with increased flexibility for you as far as carriers, traveling, etc.

15. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Cheap Samsung from Walmart that cost me $40 and $35/month to month no contract.

16. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

iPhone 7, it’s finally dying on me though. Already had to replace the charging port once and it’s starting to fail again. The battery doesn’t last long either. I notice many apps crash on me now, especially if the battery is below 20%. I’ll probably upgrade when the new phones come out this year.

17. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-O-Master

Hmm, from your avatar, it looks more like a special iPhone, SIZE 12! :)
    Me, I have iPhone 11, 128 GB. I could not even imagine being unable to take advantage of all the capabilities a a modern smartphone, no disrespect to all those replies mentioning very old or non-smart phones. For ME, I want a great camera/videorecorder in my pocket and be able to use any and all apps that are useful for me. Frugality is the last thing I consider with respect to my phone. But again, that's just me. Anyone else can roll however they like.

nomadh, Bladesg, aiabx and 1 other person like this.
  18. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

iPhone 11. I work remotely and it’s my office phone. The company also offers me a monthly allowance to put towards it, because communication is key to our business.

Archtops likes this.
  19. Mikeylefty

Mikeylefty Be Kind Silver Member

Iphone 11 because I needed the camera functions in my biz where it's a write-off. I have video production gear but it's crazy how many times I grab a usable shot with the iphone.

20. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I still have most of the phones I have ever had. I started using an iPhone 11 last year after my original 6 could no longer update the OS. I'm not a fan of Apple but I am sort of locked into their ecosystem. I do use an Apple watch due to its health apps and sensors which are much more accurate and reliable than their competitors.

Archtops likes this.