Frusciante/SRV Pickup Suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by OllieWhite, Apr 28, 2021.

1. OllieWhite

OllieWhite New Member!

Hey,

Looking to get new pickups for my 2011 American Standard Strat since they sound too flat, looking for something more "round" sounding. Had a 2006 Custom Shop 1960 Closet classic with a great neck pickup so something that would have came in that or at least close would be great. Want a clean frusciante type tone with the ability to tune to Eb with a tube screamer for SRV tones. Current bridge pickup sounds too ice-picky occasionally and would love something that's slightly warmer. Looking for a full set to swap out the ones that came with the strat and any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

2. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

You may want to mix sets. I really like Tex-Mex bridge pickups but not the neck pickups. Maybe a Tex-Mex bridge and a Fat 50s middle and neck would work well if you're sticking with Fender pickups.

Gevalt likes this.
  3. AJBaker

AJBaker Strat-Talker

What's in the guitar you have? Can you give us more information (or at least a dcr reading? )

I'm not sure what you mean by flat and round, but any good vintage style set should get you close to what you want.

If you think the bridge pickup is too bright, having that be slightly overwound is a pretty good solution.

I'm enjoying the Voodoo set by Pribora in Russia. Great sound for very little cost.

4. MartinC

MartinC Strat-Talker

Read around the forum and you will find many views on pickups. Mine FWIW is that there is very little difference between most single coils. A lot of it is ‘in the head’ put there by marketing hype. Its rather amazing just how much nonsense has been generated by wrapping wire around magnets and claiming all sorts of things that physics tell us are either not there or barely there at all. Some good advice I have seen here - experiment carefully with pickup height and consider carefully choice of tone and volume pots - these provide the electrical load the pickups face and are surprisingly influential on the sound you hear. Have fun

5. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-O-Master

Martin is right, the internet has created all this "holy grail of tone" nonsense that is basically fiction.
    Marketing successfully sells all kinds of stuff that we don't need.

As long as it has defined mids, crisp highs and full lows it should be good. :p
    But seriously though... if you want them to be like the pickups used by Fruscianti, SRV, Hendrix and everyone else you want Fender Original '57/'62.
    After all, the pickups that you like the sound of were made by Fender, so they know how to make them again! :)

They sound great to me, but they don't cancel hum and I would imagine the they have TONS of treble in the bridge position (My strat is HSS)... which is why Hendrix had his bridge pickup lowered WAY down on the treble side.

For hum cancelling Lincoln Brewster has perfect strat tone and he uses a combination of Dimarzio Area 58 and 61 (you could look up his signature strat to see where they are).

The main thing to understand is that a pickup is not a microphone, therefore, all the fancy attributes they give to expensive pickups are likely total fiction.

A pickup is a magnet that creates a magnetic field in which the strings vibrate, thereby inducing electrical energy in the pickup. This electrical energy is a frequency, not a "woody defined crisp but sweet carefully aged vintage tone". ;)

TheDireStrat likes this.
  6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Pricey, but something along the lines of the Fender Eric Johnson signature pickup set would probably fit the bill - it has late 50's/early 60's influenced neck and middle with what I would describe as a "vintage-hot" bridge - a little warmer and fuller than a typical 50's bridge, but not overbearing.

DAllen used to have a similar set called the Voodoo Blues that had late 60's style neck and middle with a 7.5K bridge, so the neck and mids were nice and clear but the bridge was not a piercing.

Otherwise, you will probably need to mix and match - you might get lucky and be able to find some 57/62's and then drop a hotter bridge like a Tex-Mex, or you could even drop in an DiMarzio HS-2 and only wire up the top coil ala EJ.

The final option, if you are willing to chance it, is to check out GFS pickups - they are very affordable and decent sounding (for the price,_ and they have a number of "Texas" sets with vintage neck and middle + a hot bridge. Customer service can be hit or miss, but again, for the price you at least can experiment.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  7. Bakelite1

Bakelite1 Strat-Talker

IMHO, Fender Yosemites. Otherwise, Bootstrap offers some models that should work. Rose custom winds sets to your specs, if you want to dictate them.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  8. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

This is easily fixed by wiring the bridge pickup to one of the tone knobs.

9. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

Fender 57/62

10. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I second the motion for the 57/62 set. IMO it's the baseline standard for Strat tone. All of those guitar heros could sound exactly like themselves with that set.

BTW, if you need hum cancelling then get a used set from a Classic Player 50s Strat. That set is hum cancelling, but the set that Fender sells separately isn't.

stratmatt777 likes this.