Frustrated with trying to gain speed

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by 357mag, Sep 17, 2021.

1. sssstratsss

sssstratsss Strat-O-Master

You need to find the keys to the Lamborghini.

2. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

FWIW I'm working on my time/feel. Whatever happens speed wise after that is fine.

Apparently I have to crawl before I can walk and walk before I run, etc.

Im only posting this here because I think good timing is so much more important than speed, at least more fundamental.

I dont mean blues licks and gilmour style. I mean any of it.

As you were.

ResidentRen, s5tuart and StratMike10 like this.
  3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

You've played in 300 bands. What could possibly be wrong with your timing? Is it situational, certain stuff, rhythm, lead, what?

amstratnut likes this.
  4. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

My instructor says I rush and play ahead of the beat. Its something I was unaware of and not even sure I can tell. So Im a little concerned and committed to figuring it out.

s5tuart and duzie like this.
  5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

In a lot of situations, musically, "pushing" the beat is actually and asset. In other situations, playing behind the beat works.

Are you sure it's a problem? Fishy, something is. If you were badly out of time you would have heard about it plenty before now.

6. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Speed does not come from being fast. Speed comes from precision and economy of motion. Fret not, or rather fret every opportunity you will get. It will come.

7. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Molly Tottle has done a couple of demos that include fretboard cameras that capture her amazing picking speed and technique. She is amazing.

8. 357mag

357mag Senior Stratmaster

I spent $99.00 on Troy Grady's video course. It took me a long time to download all the videos in it. There were way too many videos there. I watched most of them though. But there is more to picking fast than just always talking about downward pickslanting. I wish more people would talk about what problem I've experienced repeatedly. The picking getting stuck on the string on the upstroke. He never even talks about that.

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Well, I never have that problem. Most of the great pickers I have seen do not approach a string with a parallel pick and a stroke that is straight 9 toward the string. The specifics of particular players is going to vary, but I slant a little but I also pick at an angle to the string both on downstroke and upstroke. ----------/------------ <<a bit less angle than that, but you get the drift. I also use thick picks and small picks.

I think I managed to get a pic of my picks that shows the wear on the picks and shows that the pick is at an angle when approaching a string as if it were a blade trying to slice off a slanted section of wiener.

[​IMG]

10. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Slice off a slanted section or wiener? Don’t play naked!

ResidentRen likes this.
  11. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

It was a hypothetical and rhetorical wiener.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. 357mag

I also use Dunlop Jazz III's. And I pick at an angle to the string also but I've still had the problem.

May I ask you guys where is the main picking motion coming from? The wrist and your hand swinging back and forth at the wrist or are you doing it more like Yngwie. Moving the pick with the thumb and forefinger forwards and backwards?

13. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I'm going to state an unpopular opinion.

Being really fast requires some innate ability that includes fast twitch muscles and above average hand/finger coordination. A fast player will find out he's a fast player pretty early in his learning, while a slower player can spend years of hard work and never get as fast.

Knowing and focusing on your own strengths is probably the most productive use of learning/practice time, and while working on your weaknesses is also good, always keep the sights on your own set of abilities and beware of courses/videos/teachers that sell unrealistic speed goals. Speed should never be a goal, just one of the tools in your belt.

No matter how much they had worked at it, Einstein would have had a hard time becoming a UFC fighter, and very unlikely Connor McGregor would ever win a Nobel prize. Genes matter.

Flame suit on.

amstratnut and s5tuart like this.
  14. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

At highest speeds IT'S FROM THE ELBOW. The manipulation of the pick with fingers, wrists breaks down at a certain speed and becomes quiet hand and wrist and motion from the elbow.

15. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Hmmmmmmm...........I sure did meet a helluva lot of superfast pickers during the first half of the 80s.

Also, I also never used a pick until I was 17 years old. Don't think I am a fast twitch person, I had to work at it a long time and am still not finished with the process. But I am pretty fast.

16. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talker

Check out some of Troy Grady’s videos on YouTube. They get super technical with pick angle and grip and he’s very much into speed picking. He even analyzes the techniques of many famous guitarists. Pretty cool stuff.

17. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I can do anecdotes too: I grew up with my goals set on Al Dimeola and similar fast players, for 20 years I practiced like mad to get faster and reached about 90% of as fast as I would ever be in about 5 years. But one of my friends became much faster than I would ever be in the first 2 years, without practicing nearly as much as I did, without instruction, all ear. I've come across a few guys like that, who knows you might be one of them.

Just an opinion though.

amstratnut and ResidentRen like this.
  18. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Well, I can be snide toward anecdotal evidence too and often am, but the reason I continue to comment on some of these things is that I got to meet and hear a really large number of people play for a few years. Sure, it's still anecdotal, but at least it's a lot more anecdotes.

StratMike10 likes this.
  19. 357mag

I tend to agree with the post that StratMike10 posted. I may never get there. It just seems I am slower. I couldn't play scales fast when I was studying piano either. I tend to believe in the talent you are born with idea.

StratMike10 likes this.
  20. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

It's not the 100m. Honestly, when picking with the motion from the elbow, it's closely associated with a motion that many men frequently make very quickly.