Fullerton Reissue Wide 12th Fret Dots - Fake?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by montyshoewalker, May 26, 2011.

1. montyshoewalker

montyshoewalker Strat-Talk Member

Has anyone ever seen a USA Fullerton Reissue guitar out of the 1982-1984 era having 'wide' 12th fret dot markers (lined up with A & B strings)??

Is this just not possible at all, or is there always a chance for a manufacturing anomaly?

Just wonderin...............

2. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

It doesn't sound promising, however...

[​IMG]

3. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

maybe it has a jv neck ?

4. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

it would say made in japan

5. montyshoewalker

My initial thought was that the neck was JV, however when I took the guitar apart I saw none of the characteristic Japanese markings on either the neck socket or the neck itself. Here's some pics:

Pictures by montyshoewalker - Photobucket

Kinda weird, right? I'm 100% stumped with this one.

6. montyshoewalker

I've seen that "R Lopez" stamp too on another 100% original Fullerton 84/57 strat...

7. Shoegoo

Shoegoo Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Why the extra screw holes in the neck pocket? Is that normal?

8. Orlando Mike

Orlando Mike Senior Stratmaster

I vote legit

9. montyshoewalker

I think it's just a tooling hole (not sure what the official term for it is - but I know there's one)...

10. mabley123

i may add there is sometimes a bit of variation on these guitars. mine ( i have v002506-82-62 reissue-3 red bobbin pickups ) has 2 string trees from the factory. i picked the guitar out brand new in 82 for my friend and it was only 2 weeks old when he bought it.it was purchased 2nd week of july. made last week of june- neck date is 6-25-82. i have also seen 2 string trees on several others...mostly 57 reissues so i think it is not impossible that you could have wider dots on the neck.

i bought this guitar from him 8 months ago because he has an autoimmune disease that is attacking his ears and making him go deaf.

give the guy at fenderreissue.com a buzz and see what he has to say.

11. montyshoewalker

Man, sorry to hear about your friend. Couldn't imagine...

Just to tag along on your comment, this guitar at one point did have a second string tree too, but it was later filled up professionally. The 12th dot thing is just very strange because I have never seen it before... in fact I heard Fender was unable to make wider dots because of tooling restrictions at that time. But I guess at a time when <10 strats a day were being produced, anything can happen...

12. mabley123

if you take into account there were 5 different instruments being made and most were the 57 strat then yep very few strats were being produced at that time. i think they were making an average of 12-14 or less instruments a day and if half were strats that means about 5-7 strats a day were made.

like i
    said give the fenderreissue guy a buzz and see what he says.

13. montyshoewalker

I sent the guy a message actually last week - still haven't heard back yet - hopefully he'll have a bit of insight if he gets time to respond.

I'm lookin' to sell this (whole guitar, not in pieces), so I think it's fair to list as a USA 83' Neck?

14. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

I think he's busy. He's never answered my emails.

15. Outlier73

Outlier73 Strat-O-Master

looks legit to me. In fact the 12fret dots don't seem to far apart to me. (I have to admit, I only looked at the smaller thumbnail image)

16. mabley123

do you have any pics with strings on it ???

i think it is fair to list as an 83..yep.

17. mabley123

i may have to eat my words.
    i just took my 1982 reissue apart. this is the second time it has been aart in 29 years.

i was noticing that on the fenderreissue site the fulletron guitars dates on the neck are written opposite than yours. as is mine. the pencil dating on the fullerton guitars has the dates written so when you are looking at the neck trussrod adjustment screw on the top...the dates will look upside down. you must turn the back of the neck skyward so the dates are in the correct orientaition. all of the fullerton guitars i have seen ( check out fenderreissue he shows pictures of most all the necks on the guitars he has and has sold.

the corona guitars have the dates in both orientations.

18. montyshoewalker

You know what though mabley, I've seen a few examples of these Fullerton Reissues having the neck date written right side up. Check it out:

1982 USA FENDER VINTAGE

This one incidentally has the same exact neck date as mine, what are the chances?

19. montyshoewalker

Cool what color/type is your '82 reissue by the way?

20. mabley123

mine is a 62 reissue in sunburst. i also bought a july 82-57 reissue 2 tone sunburst body about 4 months ago and some december 82 fullerton black bobbin pickups, ( i have 2 sets of the 82 black bobbin pickups ) pickguard, all original reissue screws, neckplate and screws, input jack.
    i bought all the loose parts to basically put a reissue back together except i will use rs guitarworks superpot and their cts tone pots and a paper in oil .1 capacator a mannmade tremolo and im going to have usa custom guitars build a maple cap neck for me.
    i want to have a couple necks made for this body. i have some african blackwood i would like to have a fretboard made from on put on a maple neck. and i would also like to have a maple and brazilian rosewood neck made from usa custom guitars.
    i still need to buy the tremolo.