G&G cases no longer any good???

mikej89

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2016
River Falls, WI
I've always loved the vintage look and feel of the G&G tweed cases... I'm thinking about getting one for my American Standard Strat and giving its SKB case to my Charvel (right now they're sharing it) but I've read endless negative reviews on the G&G cases going back even 15 years. What's the deal with this? I've read numerous complaints of cheap latches, big gap even when closed, holes drilled in wrong place, guitars not fitting well, and bigger & heavier than the older ones.

mikej89

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2016
River Falls, WI
I've got several from 2010-2018, all seem as good as ever (although they don't stink like the old ones)

Thanks for the info. Did you get them all with a guitar? I'm curious if the cases Fender includes with instruments go through a different inspection process than the ones they sell separately online like on Musicians Friend.

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
I have several that came with the guitar. I like them, seem pretty sturdy and the insides aye plush.

Mike, are you looking to buy one?

vid1900

Most Honored Senior Member
Nov 25, 2016
Yemen
Thanks for the info. Did you get them all with a guitar? I'm curious if the cases Fender includes with instruments go through a different inspection process than the ones they sell separately online like on Musicians Friend.

Yep, they all came with the guitars.

I doubt anyone at Fender inspects any cases, sometimes they have a completely different color fur inside that seems very random

AxemanVR

I appreciate, therefore I am...
Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA

There was a cheaper knock-off case Fender had for some of its models called a “Pro Series”. I got one of these a couple years ago.

I decided to try one because they were half the price of a G&G case. It has a Fender badge behind the handle. They now have a “Classic Series” case that looks suspiciously like a G&G case (and costs as much).

Anyway the older “Pro Series” ones are nowhere’s as good a quality case as my G&G cases but still does the job...

3A75AFA6-E343-4C98-8D0D-5CA961FA87E7.jpeg
6E733933-39A3-45D5-BA22-A9C97D7C9D10.jpeg
025FD521-E0AB-489D-BFFC-7D6C58B32BC7.jpeg
774359FA-9DF0-4933-BA7A-D268BA7E1BE3.jpeg

Last edited:

mikej89

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2016
River Falls, WI
I have several that came with the guitar. I like them, seem pretty sturdy and the insides aye plush.

Yeah, I'm looking to get one for my American Standard Strat and giving its SKB case to my Charvel which didn't come with a case.

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
Yeah, I'm looking to get one for my American Standard Strat and giving its SKB case to my Charvel which didn't come with a case.

Don't know what they go for but I can't see any value in a more expensive one.

mikej89

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2016
River Falls, WI

Which geetars do you have that came with a Tweed case? Just curious because you mostly have American Standards and MIM's right?

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
A quick look on Reverb has the "Fender Deluxe G&G" to $300?? Stratosphere sells the Fender G&G Custom shop tweed case, used/mint for $$199 but you got shipping....

You can get a Fender Elite case for $200. The tweed looks nice for $200 you can't get a better case.

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
Which geetars do you have that came with a Tweed case? Just curious because you mostly have American Standards and MIM's right?

Well, mostly can be interpreted as if only but not mutually exclusive to one group while excluding another during the extrapulation of information in regards to the aforementioned case.

52 thinline tele limited run.
57 reissue strat.
CS relic strat.
50th anniv. strat.

Black59

Strat-O-Master
Sep 25, 2020
Canada
I recently got an old stock 2018 G&G that was suppose to be for the American Vintage series

I see where people are coming from, but I love mine. Strat with a small headstock fits very snug and secure, the most important part imo. Everything lines up nicely, even though this model isn't as high-end as the new Deluxe G&G cases

After a year of owning it, some of the complaints are warranted. It's a little flimsy and if it's not on a super flat surface, one of the latches doesn't close but I'm cool with that

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
I've always loved the vintage look and feel of the G&G tweed cases... I'm thinking about getting one for my American Standard Strat and giving its SKB case to my Charvel (right now they're sharing it) but I've read endless negative reviews on the G&G cases going back even 15 years. What's the deal with this? I've read numerous complaints of cheap latches, big gap even when closed, holes drilled in wrong place, guitars not fitting well, and bigger & heavier than the older ones.
If it keeps your guitar from getting damaged then it's 100% good regardless of cost of brand. Most my HSCs are either Fender or Gibson. I would say almost all have some kind of fit issue but all hold a guitar.

Obviously, I only want Tweed if it's Nitro lacquered...... For tone!