G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Telecaster?

soulman969

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 5, 2016
Denver, CO
DITTO.....:whistling::D:rolleyes:

On a more serious note....Thank you....you stated it so much better than I could.....

Just comes from a fair amount of experience with G&L both US and import.

Quite a few of my friends own G&L basses and guitars as well. We talk about them often and have gotten together to review each others. Two guitarist I've played with in the past also played G&Ls.

So in addition to owning a few myself I've also known about them and been around them for quite awhile. Many of the G&Ls are an extension of what Leo Fender would have done with Fender had he never sold the company.

His plan was to keep on improving on his initial designs which he did throughout his life. Several of the Music Man instruments and most of the G&Ls are a result of his work after he sold Fender.

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Denver, CO
The main thing to know about G&L is that while the do have their standard import line and a limited standard US line called Fullerton Deluxe models, the majority of their US builds are either Option Order or Custom Shop ones.

Buyers of Option Order and CS instruments can select from a very broad assortment of body woods, neck sizes and profiles, frets, pickups, electronics, finishes, etc. and end up with a very personalized one of a kind instrument.

bsman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 4, 2014
Storage B
G&Ls are fine guitars, but I think the entire G&L caché is somewhat exaggerated (much in the same was as CV Squiers have a rather inflated reputation). In my experience, the Asian G&L imports are pretty equivalent to Squire, Epi, etc. Asian imports.

Perhaps unpopular opinion, but I will say that to me, it's one of those oft-repeated memes that gain authority from amplification with little basis in fact (like all of those amazing bargain to be had on US G&Ls, few of which you will find by looking at the sold listings on Reverb, which in my experience tend to show they sell for approximately the same amount as the comparable US Fenders...)

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Denver, CO
G&Ls are fine guitars, but I think the entire G&L caché is somewhat exaggerated (much in the same was as CV Squiers have a rather inflated reputation). In my experience, the Asian G&L imports are pretty equivalent to Squire, Epi, etc. Asian imports.

Perhaps unpopular opinion, but I will say that to me, it's one of those oft-repeated memes that gain authority from amplification with little basis in fact (like all of those amazing bargain to be had on US G&Ls, few of which you will find by looking at the sold listings on Reverb, which in my experience tend to show they sell for approximately the same amount as the comparable US Fenders...)

IMHO that's essentially true. All of those listed are very good quality imports and in some cases getting even better over time. It's where G&L or Epi may differ from the models offered by Fender and Gibson that along their pricing has made them popular with many buyers.

For many years G&Ls resale values tended to lag Fenders but as more buyers are becoming aware of and supporting the brand the spread is narrowing. I just depends on the specific US model, it's popularity, and how unique it maybe as to it's features and finish.

But I'm not certain what you're referring to when you say G&Ls exaggerated "cache" or why you believe Squier CVs have an inflated reputation. What makes you feel that way?

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
IMHO that's essentially true. All of those listed are very good quality imports and in some cases getting even better over time. It's where G&L or Epi may differ from the models offered by Fender and Gibson that along their pricing has made them popular with many buyers.

For many years G&Ls resale values tended to lag Fenders but as more buyers are becoming aware of and supporting the brand the spread is narrowing. I just depends on the specific US model, it's popularity, and how unique it maybe as to it's features and finish.

But I'm not certain what you're referring to when you say G&Ls exaggerated "cache" or why you believe Squier CVs have an inflated reputation. What makes you feel that way?

It's interesting that you draw the comparison between G&L/Fender and Epi/Gibson. I've found that the build quality on Epiphones is so good that I couldn't even imagine paying the differential for a Gibson. Not to say they aren't better, but the quality spread comes nowhere near justifying the price spread.

Of course, in my particular situation, being able to amortize the cost of the instrument is a consideration as well. But I have 2 Epiphones, an LP Studio and an LP ES-Pro that are great players. The ES-Pro is probably my favorite humbucker player I have.

BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
US
One of the things I really like about the G&L ASAT design is that there are 6 individual brass barrel saddles. This is true even on the cheap mass produced import line! It keeps that old school tele look and gives you the ability to dial in the intonation of each string individually. Teles with the block style saddles you will find on Fender Strats looks weird to me.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
One of the things I really like about the G&L ASAT design is that there are 6 individual brass barrel saddles. This is true even on the cheap mass produced import line! It keeps that old school tele look and gives you the ability to dial in the intonation of each string individually. Teles with the block style saddles you will find on Fender Strats looks weird to me.

Those are nice. I have some compensated brass saddles on the Baja, which is supposed to be an upgrade, but wonder how the 3 piece design affects the ability to fine tune the intonation. Logically it would seem that individual saddles would allow better control.

bsman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 4, 2014
Storage B

I don't have anything against either G&L or CV Squiers, but I also don't believe (as some in the posts above have) and as I've heard often on many boards that "CV Squiers are > MIM Fenders or that G&L Tributes are > MIM Fenders. In each case, I think the conclusion is rather inflated...

Oh - and it's cachet - not "caché " - my bad (been too many years since HS French!)

ca·chet
/kaˈSHā/
noun
  1. the state of being respected or admired; prestige.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
I don't have anything against either G&L or CV Squiers, but I also don't believe (as some in the posts above have) and as I've heard often on many boards that "CV Squiers are > MIM Fenders or that G&L Tributes are > MIM Fenders. In each case, I think the conclusion is rather inflated...

Oh - and it's cachet - not "caché " - my bad (been too many years since HS French!)

ca·chet
/kaˈSHā/
noun

I noted that but didn't want to be pedantic, only to find out that the alternate spelling with the accent grave was acceptable.

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Denver, CO
It's interesting that you draw the comparison between G&L/Fender and Epi/Gibson. I've found that the build quality on Epiphones is so good that I couldn't even imagine paying the differential for a Gibson. Not to say they aren't better, but the quality spread comes nowhere near justifying the price spread.

Of course, in my particular situation, being able to amortize the cost of the instrument is a consideration as well. But I have 2 Epiphones, an LP Studio and an LP ES-Pro that are great players. The ES-Pro is probably my favorite humbucker player I have.

Epiphone is one producer I was referring to when I posted that some are continually improving their product like. A jam buddy of mine and I have compared our respective '56 Tribute LPs and our ES339s and while there are some very subtle difference even he would admit that my Epiphones were at least 90% as good for a fraction of what his Gibson's cost him.

He's begun buying more imports since then himself.

As far as G&L goes my ASAT Special and all three of my G&L basses use the same US built MFD pickups and Saddle Lock bridges as the US models and there is only a slight difference in the electronics. I do like the US tuners more but those along with the electronics can be purchase from G&L should someone decide to upgrade their Tribute model.

The major differences between import and US builds are the spec and finish options that permit a buyer to order just what he would like, plek'd frets, and of course there are a few more US models to choose from. But the same US model will typically run 2 1/2 to 3 times us much as the import version making the Tributes an exceptional value IMHO.

Last edited:

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Denver, CO

ca·chet
/kaˈSHā/
noun

Just quoting it as you posted it. My laptop speaks English and doesn't do foreign language accents marks easily so the quotation marks were intended to show that I was quoting your own term as highlighted below.

G&Ls are fine guitars, but I think the entire G&L caché is somewhat exaggerated (much in the same was as CV Squiers have a rather inflated reputation).

As a long time former owner of a dozen or more US Fender guitars and basses and a current owner of several MIM guitars I would rate many G&L Tributes as having better features and significantly better finishes than Fenders MIM imports. It's something they are known for.

The only MIM build I own that would match them is a $900 plus Robt. Cray signature Strat which is a hardtail. I would not rate a more typical Fender Strat over G&Ls Legacy, S500, or Commanche models even at the Tribute level but keep in mind that LE dealer specials are not standard models.

Any of the top Tribute basses are superior to the standard MIM Player versions both in features and fit and finish and the various ASAT models offering MFD pickups will challenge any of the MIM Players for quality as well. I will no longer buy Fender basses or Telecasters over G&Ls.

So we will probably disagree here but my opinion is based on actual ownership of at least 20 or more different Fender and G&L models both import and US. MIC Classic Vibes were easily the equal of MIM Fenders for many years which is one reason Fender no longer offers but a few MIC models and Fender upped both their game and their prices on MIM Players.

Again my opinion is experiential not anecdotal so I'm not inflating it. I could easily buy either and have so I have no reason to do so. It is just my own honest opinion and one others may not share yourself included.

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Denver, CO
Those are nice. I have some compensated brass saddles on the Baja, which is supposed to be an upgrade, but wonder how the 3 piece design affects the ability to fine tune the intonation. Logically it would seem that individual saddles would allow better control.

I would say that the eventual move to 6 saddles was Leo Fender responding to what players had long criticized about the original 3 saddle bridges. No longer bound by that tradition for newer designs he corrected the problem.

That was just the way he was. Tradition wasn't all that meaningful to him. If something he'd previously designed could be improved upon he worked at doing that which his how we ended up with MFD pickups, Saddle Lock bridges, Dual Fulcrum tremolos, and the cutting edge circuitry in his newer basses.